EntropiaForum.comEntropiaForum.com
  EntropiaForum.com
Home Forum Register Gallery Dev Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EntropiaForum.com > Entropia Universe Discussion > EU General Discussion

EU General Discussion Entropia Universe general discussion.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2011, 20:46   #1
Mature
Puck Inept
 
Puck's Avatar
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Location: Texas - USA
Gender: Male Ingame: Male
Avatar Name:
Dean Puck Scott
Soc: Replay
Posts: 52
Images: 1
Reputation: Inept
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0
Mindark's pursuit of "lagom"?

I've been a member of the EU community for several years. I've enjoyed many hours of interaction with my fellow Entropians, and watching PE evolve into EU has been an amazing journey of good surprises and frustrating, unanswered questions.

I understand Mr. Timkran's grand vision of the Entropia platform. I can also relate to the challenges encountered by developing a new concept and its features on a large scale.

My concern though, throughout my tenure as a virtual colonist, is that the platform and planet have never felt quite "lagom"; so many loose ends, and with all due respect to the hard work of many, a little sloppy sometimes.

When will the level of detail, accuracy, and security that is applied to the balance of the economy, be focused on the rough edges of implemented systems and bug-riddled deployments that plague this potentially great product?

It is one matter to improve a working system, but SOP at MA appears more centered around fixing broken systems.

I'm a devoted participant of the EU platform b/c I believe in the "idea" of it and appreciate the playerbase that supports it. I will continue to hope that some day, that feeling that EU is "lagom" will finally hit home.

**sorry if my use of lagom is improper, it was my best shot at translating.
Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2011, 06:42   #2
Old
HardWrath Poor
 
HardWrath's Avatar
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Posts: 83
Reputation: Poor
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

I dont know what Lagom is but the most important thing MA should be focused on, in partnership with the Planet Companies, is attracting new users to the Entropia Universe.

With an influx of new users and the revenue created by them, all of the existing issues can be more easily overcome in a much quicker time frame.
HardWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:44   #3
Young
Miccey n00b
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Posts: 23
Reputation: n00b
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWrath View Post
I dont know what Lagom is but the most important thing MA should be focused on, in partnership with the Planet Companies, is attracting new users to the Entropia Universe.

With an influx of new users and the revenue created by them, all of the existing issues can be more easily overcome in a much quicker time frame.
Comnow...You know this is not going to attract NEW players..
No matter HOW much they put in the game or evolve the game,
there´s still one aspect that KEEP new players OFF this game.
ECONOMY..
And the current system doesent allow the playerbase to grow.
Cause, we arent stupid. It just takes a couple of months to realize
ill HAVE to deposit and deposit again to be able to utilise the full
aspect of this game...And THAT is what keep the players away...
Miccey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:56   #4
Banned
Shinobi Inept
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Posts: 31
Images: 14
Reputation: Inept
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miccey View Post
Comnow...You know this is not going to attract NEW players..
No matter HOW much they put in the game or evolve the game,
there´s still one aspect that KEEP new players OFF this game.
ECONOMY..
And the current system doesent allow the playerbase to grow.
Cause, we arent stupid. It just takes a couple of months to realize
ill HAVE to deposit and deposit again to be able to utilise the full
aspect of this game...And THAT is what keep the players away...
Very good point and I agree with you.
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 17:07   #5
Old
HardWrath Poor
 
HardWrath's Avatar
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Posts: 83
Reputation: Poor
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miccey View Post
Comnow...You know this is not going to attract NEW players..
No matter HOW much they put in the game or evolve the game,
there´s still one aspect that KEEP new players OFF this game.
ECONOMY..
And the current system doesent allow the playerbase to grow.
Cause, we arent stupid. It just takes a couple of months to realize
ill HAVE to deposit and deposit again to be able to utilise the full
aspect of this game...And THAT is what keep the players away...
Depositing small amounts isnt an issue for most people, especially if they are getting something of value for their dollars such as entertainment.

By increasing the size of the depositing player base, MindArk would have the financial freedom to not only hire more staff but also to earn less per player and more overall. By earning less per player the game becomes more playable for people on any budget level

You are right though... the current system is growth prohibitive
HardWrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 20:13   #6
Young
Miccey n00b
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Posts: 23
Reputation: n00b
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardWrath View Post
Depositing small amounts isnt an issue for most people, especially if they are getting something of value for their dollars such as entertainment.

By increasing the size of the depositing player base, MindArk would have the financial freedom to not only hire more staff but also to earn less per player and more overall. By earning less per player the game becomes more playable for people on any budget level

You are right though... the current system is growth prohibitive
And growth is what we love...
Both ways.
If the players are happy, Co is happy.
If Players make Doe, Co makes Doe.
And the current situation doesent allow for a growth in
depositing players...

But oh man, has this game got potential or does it...
Problem is the Leadership. Who ever is in CHARGE,
i mean Mr BossMan himself, should take a GOOD look
around and start sniffin around the forums..
The ideas in DaBase is of a magnitude "!!!HUGE!!!"....

A game like this could actually grow forever, if done properly!

So, then we come to the next problem...Intelectual Property.
What a screwd up world we live in..
Miccey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 22:36   #7
Provider
Mischief Poor
 
Mischief's Avatar
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Location: Sweden
Gender: Male Ingame: Male
Avatar Name:
Steve Mischief Sunderland
Soc: Natural Born Killers
Posts: 161
Images: 1
Reputation: Poor
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

On topic if you see to the OP, but off topic is you see to the direction the thread took. Anyway, here goes.

"Lagom" is a word in Swedish with the meaning "just enough"
Not "barely", but "just enough, good enough".

Meaning in Swedish is, and this is where the swedes state of mind plays a large part, don't stick out. That is the way swedes are brought up by their in-heritage and their history. Luckily more and more swedes oppose this but there is still more than enough of it to go around.
Lagom in Sweden is means just enough. Fun but not too fun. Rich but not too rich. Hansom but not too hansom. Clever but not too clever. In other words, medium, mediocre.
In effect it also means that you shouldn't try to be more than your neighbor. If you do the community will bash you. If your neighbor thinks he is or act like he is in some way superior to you, then bash him. In fact, if your neighbor really is superior to you, well, bash him.

I understand what the OP drives at but if we take the above written into consideration, is "lagom" what we want EU to be?

If you would like some more insight in the mentality of the swedes, google "Jante, jantelagen" (The law of Jante)
Another man that is to be hold responsible for the way swedes live their lives is "Martin Luther", not to be mixed up with Dr. King.


Steve Mischief Sunderland
Swede, but not always proud of it, sad to say

Last edited by Mischief; 07-09-2011 at 22:46. Reason: grammar, grammar
Mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:24   #8
Banned
Shinobi Inept
 
  Activity Longevity
0/2017/20
 
Posts: 31
Images: 14
Reputation: Inept
Fame: 0 Achievements: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischief View Post
On topic if you see to the OP, but off topic is you see to the direction the thread took. Anyway, here goes.

"Lagom" is a word in Swedish with the meaning "just enough"
Not "barely", but "just enough, good enough".

Meaning in Swedish is, and this is where the swedes state of mind plays a large part, don't stick out. That is the way swedes are brought up by their in-heritage and their history. Luckily more and more swedes oppose this but there is still more than enough of it to go around.
Lagom in Sweden is means just enough. Fun but not too fun. Rich but not too rich. Hansom but not too hansom. Clever but not too clever. In other words, medium, mediocre.
In effect it also means that you shouldn't try to be more than your neighbor. If you do the community will bash you. If your neighbor thinks he is or act like he is in some way superior to you, then bash him. In fact, if your neighbor really is superior to you, well, bash him.

I understand what the OP drives at but if we take the above written into consideration, is "lagom" what we want EU to be?

If you would like some more insight in the mentality of the swedes, google "Jante, jantelagen" (The law of Jante)
Another man that is to be hold responsible for the way swedes live their lives is "Martin Luther", not to be mixed up with Dr. King.


Steve Mischief Sunderland
Swede, but not always proud of it, sad to say
Mschief, I like you man. Youre OK in my book and I like what you explained, it sure clarrifies a whole lot for me.
Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools


Sponsored Links


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:37.


Copyright ©2005 - 2014, EntropiaForum.com.
Entropia Universe is a registered trademark of Mindark PE AB.
All other copyrights and trademarks are property of their respective owners.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

~ Entropia Universe | Entropia Radio | Entropia Wiki | EntropiaLife