EntropiaForum.comEntropiaForum.com
  EntropiaForum.com
Home Forum Register Gallery Dev Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   EntropiaForum.com > Entropia Universe Discussion > n00bs Corner

n00bs Corner Entropia Universe new participant discussions and questions.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012, 15:58   #1
Hatchling
Aurian Asano Inept

Activity Longevity
0/2011/20

Fame: 0 Achievements: 0
Which planet to start on?

Dear EU inhabitants

I've just created an account today, as well as my avatar, but am still sitting in the initial starting area unsure what planet to choose. Cyrene seemed interesting at first, seeing as it's all shiny and new, and I picked it as my nationality. Now after reading the Cyrene forum I'm not so sure anymore - it seems less new player friendly than other planets, lacking the better newbie equipment sold on Calypso, less populated as in harder to find a mentor / trading partners, and unfinished content wise.

Perhaps you could give me some advice where to start? I'm looking for the following...

-Reasonably easy ways for a brand new avatar to gain basic skills, equipment and a few PED
-Options for mining and business that are not already claimed and done to death by countless other players, which is my concern with Calypso
-Decent options to eventually sustain myself with trading without donating too much right away (my limit is about 100$)
-A playerbase decently sized enough for event participation, socialization, being part of 'something larger' and for finding an active mentor.

And for an entirely different question...

What are the chances of making a little PED on the side with something unusual such as... roleplaying? I'm a writer and pretty good at entertaining people in games that support at least a little roleplay. For instance, In Second Life I earned some pocket money as a Geisha working in a tea house.

Thanks in advance! <3
Aurian Asano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 16:53   #2
Provider
FlorencioNineWind Inept

Activity Longevity
0/2016/20

Florencio Nine Wind

If you've already picked Cyrene as your nationality then I think that may be where you are going, but I started the game 2 years ago and the new player experience has changed alot since then so I don't really know.

Advantages and Disadvantages for new player experience on the planets:

Cyrene:

Advantages: Easiest mobs to sweat; you can gather sweat solo the fastest on this planet; unique pvp hub where real life skill matters and pay to play skill doesn't matter at all (within this hub you have the opportunity to win PED as you defeat players in pvp; this feature has recently added an area where you can enter the hub through sweating so even the poorest players can participate); Newest planet so it is the least spoiled.

Disadvantages: Newest planet, meaning that it has had the least amount of time to develop; Poor new player mission chains; few if any freebie stuff on the newbie mission chains; small area so not much to explore; very low population, not hardly anybody on Cyrene; along with a low population means that it has a very small economy, almost non-existant.

Next Island:

Advantaes: Cool looking island getaway like scenery; cool freebie black/grey swimsuit; decent amount of freebie stuff in newbie chain.

Disadvantages: Very low population, only slightly higher than that of Cyrene; very small economy due to low population; mobs are fairly difficult to sweat; the planet is currently in a floating pattern as the development team more or less quit and is looking for a buyer for the planet.

Rocktropia:

Advantages: cool storylines in the missions; lots of freebie stuff in various mission chains including a hellicopter and jeep; beer garden where you can collect beer that randomly spawns and sell; oil rig where you can collect oil that randomly spawns and sell; (RT in my opinion has the easiest spawning rigs for newer players to get a chance to deal with, though they can sometimes be crowded, but all free spawning rigs are crowded); plenty of space to explore including 2 extra zones (Hunt the Thing arctic and fiery underground); 3rd most populated planet, so it does have a small economy; And Zombies!

Disadvantages: Almost as difficult to sweat the mobs as on Next Island, so fairly hard to sweat (though if you go to the Hunt the Thing zone the wolves aren't too bad); 3rd largest population, but still very small so not much of an economy.

Arkadia:

Advantages: decent newbie mission chains with decent freebie stuff including a hoverpod vehicle; currently has the best and most dedicated development team in my opinion; mobs are fine to sweat; 2nd largest population and has a fairly decent economy; is an up and coming planet (meaning that it feels kindof like how Calypso felt when it first began); is fun with a nice backstory.

Disadvantages: Not really any unless you count it being the 2nd largest populated planet as a disadvantage.

Calypso:

Advantages: decent newbie mission chain (though MA has always counted on older players to help get newer players started) you get a free buggy in the mission chain; Oldest planet which means that it has had the most time to develop and has by far the largest land mass, you could spend hours and hours exploring it; mobs are decent to sweat; largest population and therefore also the largest economy; newbie oil rig where you can try to collect oil that spawns and sell it.

Disadvantages: If you don't like alot of people then it being the most populated planet may be a disadvantage, though due to its huge land mass the people are spread out fairly widely; while all areas of the game are prone to glitches, Calypso is the most prone for some reason (currently there is a sweating glitch where you can't collect sweat in the newbie area for about half of the day, though you can travel to one of the larger group sweating areas and it works fine).

---------------------------------------------------------------------

So those are the advantages and disadvantages for the different planets. I personally would start on either Arkadia or Calypso. Don't let the "free spawning rigs" make the decision for you as they are pvp zones and there are always plenty of people hanging around them. In my personal opinion, the newbie oil rig zone on Calypso is near useless.

To get a better idea of population distribution I'll give you these estimated statistics:

Percent of overall game population:

Calypso: 54%
Arkadia: 30%
Rocktropia: 10%
Next Island: 5%
Cyrene: 1%

Percent of overall game landmass when adding all planets together:

Calypso: 40%
Rocktropia: 35%
Arkadia: 10%
Next Island: 10%
Cyrene: 5%

Choose wisely and I hope you have a lot of fun in this game.

As far as earning PED goes; you can attempt to do whatever your imagination comes up with. I don't think you'll be able to work in a tea house but there are many various things you can do. Remember that this game deals with real money. You can deposit and withdraw real money and there are no ways of getting "fake" currency. Even the freeplayers who sweat for their PED need a depositor to first deposit his own money and then give it to them when they buy their sweat. You're only limited by your imagination and the participation of others.
FlorencioNineWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 18:48   #3
Young
Fattyboy43 Inept

Activity Longevity
0/2012/20

Fattyboy43

In my opinion i would start at arkadia! i am from next island wich is nice but not many players. the reason i would start at arkadia is becouse there are enough players, good starter missions with lots of items and its a really good planet to skill on.also its got a nice community and the a-team as theyre called (arkadia owners/team) do alot for newbies!+good luck with your arkadian life from fattyboy!
Fattyboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 18:49   #4
Young
Fattyboy43 Inept

Activity Longevity
0/2012/20

Fattyboy43

woops i mean entropian life*
Fattyboy43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 13:58   #5
Old Alpha
mastermesh Greenmastermesh Green

Activity Longevity
0/2020/20

start on planet earth. That's were the deposits come from.
mastermesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 22:44   #6
Guardian
Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced EntropiaForum features!
Softhart BeginnerSofthart BeginnerSofthart Beginner

Activity Longevity
0/2020/20

Soc: Skillin Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorencioNineWind View Post

Percent of overall game population:

Calypso: 54%
Arkadia: 30%
Rocktropia: 10%
Next Island: 5%
Cyrene: 1%

Percent of overall game landmass when adding all planets together:

Calypso: 40%
Rocktropia: 35%
Arkadia: 10%
Next Island: 10%
Cyrene: 5%

Choose wisely and I hope you have a lot of fun in this game.
Where are you getting these figures from? I would think that Next Island would be the lowest in population from the times I have been there, and considering the transition it is going thru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
start on planet earth. That's were the deposits come from.
LOL!

We all start on Planet Earth, but the problem is we never want to go back.

Born 11-24-2006

Softhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 00:59   #7
Old Alpha
Nor Alien BeginnerNor Alien Beginner

Activity Longevity
3/2020/20

Soc: The Gathering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Softhart View Post
Where are you getting these figures from? I would think that Next Island would be the lowest in population from the times I have been there, and considering the transition it is going thru.

LOL!

We all start on Planet Earth, but the problem is we never want to go back.
Thats because all of our money is in EU..
Old 09-27-2012, 16:20   #8
Provider
FlorencioNineWind Inept

Activity Longevity
0/2016/20

Florencio Nine Wind

[QUOTE=Softhart;2589989]Where are you getting these figures from? I would think that Next Island would be the lowest in population from the times I have been there, and considering the transition it is going thru. [QUOTE]

Ugh, you people vex me. I said that they were "estimated" statistics.

Just a quick of the top of my head estimation based upon what I have observed during my times on the different planets to give him a relative idea. In the coming months Cyrene may increase in population over Next Island, but Next Island is still currently just slightly more. This is because Cyrene often feels like it is only half made, but that will change as they develop it. Both planets have very low populations and the difference is small, but I still feel that I had seen roughly 3 people on Next Island for every 2 on Cyrene.

It would be difficult to keep track of the precise population of each planet; especially as they fluctuate over time; and especially to give a quick answer; so they are just educated estimates. We know that there is at least a 5% margin of error.
FlorencioNineWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 23:44   #9
Guardian
Become a premium member today and enjoy enhanced EntropiaForum features!
Softhart BeginnerSofthart BeginnerSofthart Beginner

Activity Longevity
0/2020/20

Soc: Skillin Villains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor Alien View Post
Thats because all of our money is in EU..
LOL not all of us

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorencioNineWind View Post

Ugh, you people vex me. I said that they were "estimated" statistics.
LOL "you people" "annoy you" LOL

Well I disagree with your "estimated" statistics

Born 11-24-2006

Softhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 17:19   #10
Hatchling
Aurian Asano Inept

Activity Longevity
0/2011/20

Hey guys, no fighting in my thread!

I started on Arkadia for the newbie quest chain, and am glad I did. That hoverpod has been invaluable. However, I had a very hard time mining for some reason, and moved to Cyrene for the higher markups. That has worked out well so far.

BUT! I have a great concern that might cause me to quit or play considerably less in the near future.

Mining is the only thing I can afford to do that doesn't drain too much money from my account. I am not interested in lotteries and am not willing to lose more than say, 150 PED a month, which would be a normal subscription fee for an MMO. The cost of ammo, even with an 'eco' rifle recommended by my mentor, is outrageous. Doing a quest to kill 500 'newbie friendly' mobs - one of the very few that I can actually kill with my low skills - would cost me 50 PED in ammo. That's just for ONE quest. If I wanted to be very active every day, I would need to sink 50 dollars + into the game each month just for the most basic activities that will skill me up. It's okay that crafting is too expensive to be an option, or really most professions, but quests? Come on.

It's not very motivating to know exactly how much money I lose with each mob I kill. The loot is always worth close to nothing, at least with mining the reward varies considerably, and I only lose a little over a long period of time.

So if many new players quit, this could be why. Basic activities like kill quests shouldn't cost that much to complete.
Aurian Asano is offline   Reply With Quote