Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Entriopia Tracker for Drupal

Ive been passively looking for a while for a person capable of porting the Entropia Tracker data into a format compatible with Drupal 6 and Drupal 7.

I would love to, at some point in the future, be able to display ET data, graphs, and stats for individuals and my society on our page, but at this stage its not happening.

Anyone interested in taking this project on?

A module to do this sort of thing would have application beyond just my particular site. It would open up the entire Drupal platform for use as a complete Entropia Universe Content Management System.

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Magyar View Post
    Ive been passively looking for a while for a person capable of porting the Entropia Tracker data into a format compatible with Drupal 6 and Drupal 7.
    There is no "compatible with Drupal" - what you need is a function that writes the xml data back to a mysql database...

I would love to, at some point in the future, be able to display ET data, graphs, and stats for individuals and my society on our page, but at this stage its not happening.
    If it's only your soc i'm sure Starfinder will help you working something out with a format that you can just drop into an iframe or something.

Anyone interested in taking this project on?
    Pro bono?

A module to do this sort of thing would have application beyond just my particular site. It would open up the entire Drupal platform for use as a complete Entropia Universe Content Management System.
    Now you're exaggerating a bit (well, actually not just a bit):
    All you plan to do has been possible with or without drupal before, and "managing EU content" is hardly what you meant...

I wasnt exaggerating.

You can (and I have) created a fully featured Entropia Universe site, with personal gallery, forum, ability to hold wiki data, ability to calculate numbers and values through PHPExcel, the ability to display charts and graphs, display voice chat, host personal blogs, private messaging, user groups, front page news, user stats, RSS Aggregation, etc.

At this point I am at the stage of development on the Laudanum site where I could, in theory, after opening up the database a bit, add all of Entropedia's data and queries to it and host off my particular site a mirror of data compiled by the EU users. Ive toyed with the idea of this happening, but at this moment I am swamped and dont need to do any more re-theming of the site to accommodate large chunks of data on disply.

Regardless, though, this capability is there. All through Drupal. It exists. Now. And unlike vBulletin or other popular pieces of software its 100% free.

The Laudanum site shows people this is possible. All thats missing from my perspective is Entropia Trackers data. IMHO the EU community might be able to work some gaming magic with the Drupal platform.

I could be wrong, but Ive always thought it was worth looking into. The CMS is much more flexibile than vBulletin.
    Last edited by Magyar; 05-17-2011 at 13:54.

I wasnt exaggerating.
    I beg to differ.

You can (and I have) created a fully featured Entropia Universe site, with personal gallery, forum, ability to hold wiki data, ability to calculate numbers and values through PHPExcel, the ability to display charts and graphs, display voice chat, host personal blogs, private messaging, user groups, front page news, user stats, RSS Aggregation, etc.
    You have created this? You can't even import some data into a mysql table, what do you think YOU have done?

Those are run-of-the-mill drupal modules, that's nothing exciting, really... unless you've coded your own module please stop claiming YOU created something.

Maybe it's my english, but how do you "display voice chat"?

At this point I am at the stage of development on the Laudanum site where I could, in theory, after opening up the database a bit, add all of Entropedia's data and queries to it and host off my particular site a mirror of data compiled by the EU users. Ive toyed with the idea of this happening, but at this moment I am swamped and dont need to do any more re-theming of the site to accommodate large chunks of data on disply.
    Yet another useless forum? Look at EP, and how it went downhill - they've even hidden their "Active members" count now...

And "add all of Entropedias data"? Why??
    The entropedia data are changing all the time, they'd be outdated within weeks - plus, they are available on entropedia, what's the point of having an outdated copy on a soc website????

Regardless, though, this capability is there. All through Drupal. It exists. Now. And unlike vBulletin or other popular pieces of software its 100% free.
    OMG. It exists. Now. Look. All these colors.

Wtf did you smoke?

There are other forums, and they are 100% free - but drupal is no forum software.

The Laudanum site shows people this is possible. All thats missing from my perspective is Entropia Trackers data. IMHO the EU community might be able to work some gaming magic with the Drupal platform.
    IMHO, the EU community is dwindling, hardly anyone than a complete newbie not knowing what's going on will invest any work into a website before the player numbers recover.

However, if you have a cool statistical evaluation, i prefer to have it on ET directly instead of on someones soc website - do you have the slightest idea how many soc websites were created and disappeared without a trace throughout the years?

I could be wrong, but Ive always thought it was worth looking into. The CMS is much more flexibile than vBulletin.
    See, there is one of your big misconceptions:
    Drupal is a CMS, vBulletin is not.

I appreciate your enthusiasm, but maybe find out what you're talking about before you carry on.
    Last edited by wizzszz; 05-18-2011 at 12:45.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    I beg to differ.
    You always beg to differ. I'm not disrespecting your talent as a programmer. You've shown yourself to be quite capable, and I'm sure its appreciated.

You seem keen on seeing the glass half empty though.

That point of view is valid. Skepticism is necessary in order to keep expectations real. However I dont think youre seeing the big picture here.

For instance, 2 things.

1) Laudanum's site is a guild site. Its not an Entropia site. I could mirror the data, but like you I see nothing productive in having yet another community forum, and have scrapped that particular idea of mine as I dont feel it serves a constructive purpose.

This community needs to consolidate its communication bases, not clone them. A mirror, from my perspective, is nothing more than a backup in case the original ceases to function for some reason. Data remains preserved and accessible.

Colors be damned. This is my guild site, the colors are there because I like them and they represent a certain amount of effort being put into the society as a part of EU.

2) Voice Chat. I can host and display Teamspeak and Ventrilo active users and service stats through the platform. This can be (and often has been) a valuable tool for social groups within a game platform.

Your hostility towards the community is understandable, however I have always appreciated your points of view for the valuable insights they contain, regardless of their antisocial tone.

Youre right. Drupal is a CMS. That's my point. EU has alot of content, but its poorly managed. Perhaps a CMS should be reviewed for its potential to consolidate information in a meaningful and effective way.

You lost me right after this:

I see nothing productive in having yet another community forum
    We've learned what you don't want to do - but what do you want to do then?

Drupal is not the point, you do not need to code stuff as a drupal module to enhance the functionality of a website...

The guild website thingie is a bit strange, too - why create something you limit to your soc only? That sounds like diametrically opposed to what you have proclaimed in the post before...
    (whats wrong with the colors btw? the site is almost only slate gray... :P )

Teamspeak and Ventrilo are very likely no longer interesting with these latest additions to the ingame chat...

I think i am still not seeing the big picture here... there is potential in many things out there, not only the ET data, but it seems you lack a tangible plan.

(and then there is still that "sinking ship" atmosphere, and i doubt there are many people who want to spend a lot of work on something that might not survive the next year - i could elaborate on the reason for that, the downwards spiral and the complete absence of player retention, and how incapable MA is to change things, and how desperately they hope that one of the new systems fixes it for them... but i doubt you want me to get off on this in your thread...)

We've learned what you don't want to do - but what do you want to do then?

Drupal is not the point, you do not need to code stuff as a drupal module to enhance the functionality of a website...
    You're right. To be perfectly frank, all of the resources within Entropia should share a common portal, that portal customizable by the user to display what the user wants, whever the user wants to put it. The Drupal system allows this, up to and including the arrangements of blocks, what forums display, and how they display -- all customized by the user.

No longer is there a need to have "Planet Calypso Forum" and "Rocktropia Forum" along with dozens of little categories that all have the same discussions going on in them. With the right CMS behind it a single portal can exist, entropianews.com or whatever you want to call it, redirected from every planet partner website and customized according to their initial desires.

Calypso can display Mindark and Calypso related content. Rocktropia can display Rocktropia, NDS, and MA related content. Etc.

Players can then customize to see fit, even selecting their own base themes out of presets.

The guild website thingie is a bit strange, too - why create something you limit to your soc only? That sounds like diametrically opposed to what you have proclaimed in the post before...
    (whats wrong with the colors btw? the site is almost only slate gray... :P )
    The guild website exists not because it opposes something Im trying to do. At the moment Im not trying to do anything. The site is my society site. Plain and simple.

But the site by virtue of its existence demonstrates that this is in fact possible on some level with this toolset, and that in the hands of a more capable developer all of Entropia Universe communications could be concentrated in a single space.

Teamspeak and Ventrilo are very likely no longer interesting with these latest additions to the ingame chat...
    Not exactly true. MA's chat system isnt great, it isnt customizable, and it isnt free. I have 512 seats on Teamspeak for free on my own secure server. All MindArk is offering me is a chance to hear people within Entropia who are not signed on my channel, and only then half of them are audible unless I crank up the volume for all of EU.

Then I have to plug my ears every time a VTOL comes nearby.

I think i am still not seeing the big picture here... there is potential in many things out there, not only the ET data, but it seems you lack a tangible plan.
    Not really looking for a plan at this point. Just looking to inch development forward a little more, and continue the process of illustrating the potential of moving away from a bulletin board based system and onto a more modern content management structure.

Bulletin Boards are so 1998.

(and then there is still that "sinking ship" atmosphere, and i doubt there are many people who want to spend a lot of work on something that might not survive the next year - i could elaborate on the reason for that, the downwards spiral and the complete absence of player retention, and how incapable MA is to change things, and how desperately they hope that one of the new systems fixes it for them... but i doubt you want me to get off on this in your thread...)
    The sinking ship feeling isnt universal. Lots of us see alot of hope in EU too. We arent trying to strike it rich playing. We do however see the potential in playing a game that allows you to genre hop within MMORPG space without rolling a new character each time.

Think about that. Every MMORPG out there plays exactly the same. The only reason I play EU above other MMORPG's is because it offers me a sandbox environment that allows me not just to choose my skills and playstyles at will, but potentially choose my game world at will too.

If I want fantasy I will play on a fantasy world. If I want scifi, I know where to go. If I want horror, well thats coming. A world like Dune? Maybe that will be offered.

I can build my character at will, and choose the game my character plays at will.

That is EU's appeal to me and many others. As far as I'm concerned EU can take that ATH they will never give me and shove it. That's not what I'm here for. :-)

Not sure what to answer you tbh - you say you have no plan yet you speak of unlimited possibilites in managing EU related content thru drupal...

As i said, if there's a tangible plan i might have another look at it - until then, and to answer your initial question:

I think what you need is a script to import an xml structure into a mysql database - once it is in your database, you can play with it and display it with drupal - correct me if i'm wrong...

If so... well, it is a very basic task, and it shouldn't be too hard to find someone who can do this.
    (there were quite some script kiddies asking if they can support EP back then, some of them might be able to get this working, but i doubt they will read your announcement here on EF - if you want me to i can check my old PMs and see who you can ask directly)

Sure that would be great if you could.

Im sure this is a relatively simple task. Ive been messing around with Drupal for about 2 years now, and its grown on me alot as Ive realized its potential.

I dont have the mental energy to expend on it is all. Running this company's IT department I spend most of my time stripping down custom coded FreeBSD scripts and bringing them into something a little more friendly with a migration to Windows 2007 Server. I cant look at another piece of code right now, to be honest!

Sure that would be great if you could.

Im sure this is a relatively simple task. Ive been messing around with Drupal for about 2 years now, and its grown on me alot as Ive realized its potential.

I dont have the mental energy to expend on it is all. Running this company's IT department I spend most of my time stripping down custom coded FreeBSD scripts and bringing them into something a little more friendly with a migration to Windows 2007 Server. I cant look at another piece of code right now, to be honest!
    What's not friendly in Shell, Perl or Pythonscripts ? :P

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast