Young

question on skilling and blueprint quality

Just starting out crafting

Is it better to skill using a low quality blueprint (bought off of TT), or more effecient and cost effective to buy a high quality bluepring off the auction and use it instead?

Thanks in advance.

2. Sponsored Links
    Old Alpha
    There's a lot of issues there. What's the QR? what's the demand for the ingredients? What's the cost per click? What's the demand for the crafted item? What's the markup on the ingredients and the crafted item? What's your skill level? Are you aiming to go after SIB?

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
    There's a lot of issues there. What's the QR? what's the demand for the ingredients? What's the cost per click? What's the demand for the crafted item? What's the markup on the ingredients and the crafted item? What's your skill level? Are you aiming to go after SIB?
    First my skil levels: Like I said just starting out so minimal. Every guide I have read says start with Basic Filters. So the SIB is "Never" on a TT blueprint and QR is starting at 1.0.

The ingrediants I can supply through my mining. And there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of market for basic filters so selling through auction doesn't seem too likely. The idea is probably to minimize ped loss during the skill development getting started.

It would seem to me that spending the ped to purchase a 100% Quality basic filters blueprint would be better in cutting down failures than running through the ingrediants trying to increase the QR of the TT version of the blueprint.

try starting with Simple I Conductors, those even sell, not the biggest MU, but still, it has SIB, and yeah a 100QR BP would cutt the losses some.
    but ofc simple I conductors are 70 Pec/Click in TT Value
    that's why most advice basic filters to get some skills in general.
    basic filters are 5 Pec/Click in TT Value.
    so it's just what you want and what you can spend to skill some up.

www.entropedia.info is youre friend
    Last edited by Jan Universe; 07-14-2011 at 14:44. Reason: forgotten something

Hatchling
    Do things like sheet metal wit low levels 1 in quantity and you will skill for free

Young
    If you want better product returns, get a levelled BP.
    If you want more BP drops, start from QL 0.01.

Hatchling
    Here is what I have found.
    When trying to build skills for crafting the amount of skills you get, gets fewer between the higher the QR on the BP. EVen if you have skilled a BP of Basic Filters up to let's say 70, and then remove that BP and put in a fresh Basic Filters BP, your skills for that BP will be the same as if you were still running the 70QR BP you just removed.

So I have found that running all the lowest BPs up to 100 is your best bet. Because each BP gives you skills in a different range of skills.
    For instance like Basic Filters gives you skills in Engineering, and Manufacturing Metal, let's say. While Simple I Conductors gives you Engineering and Manufacturing Mechanical Skills.

I think you are better off, running 1 BP at a time up to 100QR or close to it, and then moving on to the next lowest cost per click BP. By the time you get done doing all the Lvl I items in Vol I of Components, you'll have enough skill to really move on and get some PED back for your investment.

But that is my opinion based on what I have seen for my Ava.

Hatchling
    And it makes sense too if you really think about it.
    Like when you are out hunting with a laser pistol and you get whipping skills?

Some skills are link to professions even if you have never touched that skill before. But in order for you to gain exp, MA decided to give you minimal advancement in the skill area because it is needed in order for the professional rating to increase.

So the BPs work the same way. You have Metal Manufacturing, and electronics manufacturing, etc. While skilling them you can also get armor manufacturing skills and weapon manufacturing skills, etc.

Just a quick suggestion or 2:

Always look at the cost (including MU) of your ingredients, even if you got them through mining/hunting, as they may be worth more in that form than the crafted results can ever hope to get you (so its economically better to sell them than craft with them).

When crafting for skills, its often better to craft on CONDITION rather than QUANTITY because, over a long run, you'll get the same TT value, but more of it will be in the form of residue which is often 105%-108% MU (e.g. much better than the MU on basic filters). Obviously this trick only counts when your end product MU is less than the MU on the residue.

However, crafting on CONDITION isn't for the faint of heart or the shallow of pocket, as it needs LONG runs to even out the returns. Most clicks will be failures...then you'll get a nice big lump.
    All my PEDs are belong to Mrs Stevens

Stevens Family Enterprises brings you the following shops:
    UK Fashion, Rocktropia --- Celeste North 6, Arkadia
    PA Mall Floor 1 #11, Calypso --- PA Mall Floor 1 #7, Calypso