Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young

ET error message suppression

Hello, I hope it's right place for this.

I have uDSL connection, and sometimes it can be crappy. Still, EU works fine.

But when I have occasional packet losts, ET popups error message. If you need details about that, I can give full text later. Something about connection, and options to quit or ignore and continue running app. It's .NET error, looks like.

I always select continue, and it's ok until next connection gap. I playing in window mode, and it's very annoying, because error popups right on top of it.

So, can you suppress it, or something?

---
    Just in case: I have win7 64, with all latest updates, etc.
    ---

Also, feature suggestion:

When I first installed ET, I face very big (maybe 2-3 minutes on my 4gb ram quad-core sys) startup delay of it. Well, I figured that I have nice 150mb chat.log, and just renamed it and made new, empty chat.log. Now ET starting like a rocket.

I hear several complains about ET performance issues, so, maybe users just doesn't know about that, having that problem.

Maybe ET can daily archive logs, or something like that, automatically on start?

Maybe it's EULA violation, though, to mess with EU files.

Thank you for great app and your efforts!

2. Sponsored Links
    I am on a satalite connection and have this problem ALOT :/

EU can go for almost a minute with no connection and still stay connected, hopefully you can get something figured out for those of us who have less than ideal connections for running tracker.

narfi

Young
    Dear Starfinder!

Quote Originally Posted by starfinder View Post
    Kim.. That is like a 30 min code job.. Is there any chance you can update the mining so it becomes "fun" ?..
    Is there any chance, that those errors will be simply supressed instead of stealing window focus, and 200mb chat.log doesn't loading whole into memory, but instead, just move pointer to the end of file and read couple of last lines?

I understand, you can be very busy with something much more important, and can continue manually closing those errors each 10-20 minutes and clearing chat.log once in a week.

Thanks! (smile.jpg)

Quote Originally Posted by dr3w View Post
    Dear Starfinder!

Is there any chance, that those errors will be simply supressed instead of stealing window focus, and 200mb chat.log doesn't loading whole into memory, but instead, just move pointer to the end of file and read couple of last lines?
    I have told SF that long ago, and i told him to use the file notification system instead of a time based solution.

He told me he already implemented this - are you sure you have the latest version?

The unhandled exception is a joke thought, takes 10 seconds to fix.
    (I guess SF is a bit blind lately, he still hasn't answered the PM i sent him a while ago, maybe because we are all used to the little javascript popup that is gone now)
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    He told me he already implemented this - are you sure you have the latest version?
    Well, maybe I blind too. I always, before asking something from someone, or kinda that stuff - trying to check all this like - latest versions, etc-etc-etc.

But AFAIK (I am not @ home now), ET as software doesn't have anywhere version number (maybe internally, or I need to look in properties for that - I am oldtime programmer, and prefer readme.txt and whatsnew.txt (smile.jpg)), but in case if it even had that version - on ET site no updates, no info about current/latest version, only link to client.rar archive.

Well, I can download it once in a week and install over, no problem.

I have told SF that long ago, and i told him to use the file notification system instead of a time based solution.

It uses "half" of the solution we discussed.
    The way I find the end of the file is with a stream reader.readtoend() or something like that.
    I obviously need to find the end point - 512 or something, then read to the end from that location.
    This is why it can take a little while with a 200 MB chat.log to start up.

The unhandled exception is a joke thought, takes 10 seconds to fix.
    I agree.
    I honestly thought all my net communication was in try/catch with some kind of error logging. Aparently not..
    Will fix.

(I guess SF is a bit blind lately, he still hasn't answered the PM i sent him a while ago, maybe because we are all used to the little javascript popup that is gone now)
    Dident I PM you?
    Srry.. PM'ed you now

as I wrote.. been busy with other stuff

Quote Originally Posted by dr3w View Post
    Well, maybe I blind too. I always, before asking something from someone, or kinda that stuff - trying to check all this like - latest versions, etc-etc-etc.

But AFAIK (I am not @ home now), ET as software doesn't have anywhere version number (maybe internally, or I need to look in properties for that - I am oldtime programmer, and prefer readme.txt and whatsnew.txt (smile.jpg)), but in case if it even had that version - on ET site no updates, no info about current/latest version, only link to client.rar archive.

Well, I can download it once in a week and install over, no problem.
    I can put an "about" button in the client pretty fast if you want?

Mature
    The way I find the end of the file is with a stream reader.readtoend() or something like that.
    I obviously need to find the end point - 512 or something, then read to the end from that location.
    readtoend() ? Not seektoend() ? why do you want to read it?

Young
    I can put an "about" button in the client pretty fast if you want?
    Just get rid of damn error popup. (smile.jpg)

About reading of 200mb chat.log - ask Ido, he is in your soc too. His LBML starts in no time, doesn't depends on size of file.

You seem to misunderstand the concept - windows does not need to "read thru the entire file" to find its end - you can place it directly at the end, windows knows how big the file is w/o reading all through it, and can place the file pointer directly at EoF, or at any given location at an arbitrary offset from EoF.

Why you have to find EoF-512?
    There is no need, just place it at EoF when you start ET, right after opening the file.
    Then EVERY file write is done EXACTLY at the position where your file pointer is, just read whenever the file change notification fires, and read until you get less than your buffer size - this makes sure your file pointer is back at EoF again.

Don't try to read lines, parse them from the buffer, that's faster anyway.
    Last edited by wizzszz; 08-11-2011 at 18:55.
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast