Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Young
    Quote Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
    Drop XP support if you have to. I sit here with my 24GB of RAM mostly unused by Windows 7.

Long live Windows 7 64 bit and DirectX 11 with tessellation!

Whoever plays on XP only, most likely does not have money to deposit anyway.
    I'm using XP and have deposited plenty. Some people choose XP actually for better performance in the OS overall.

2. Sponsored Links
    Young
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Dan View Post
    As it stands the kind of requirements to run EU are quite high for the rather crappy graphics in comparison. CE2 is capable of a huge amount more, and while I know MA may have chosen to turn it down to minimum so low end PCs can run it, for the kind of requirements we have we should have a "high res" version of the EU client that actually uses CE2, as well as further optimization in general.
    Is it wise for a development team to split development between two different engines and duplicating effort?

Despite the minimum specifications for EU to run, it actually doesn't stop you from running it even if you don't meet them.

There are a number of tweaks on graphics settings you can perform to aid performance (yes at the cost of beauty!)

If you select the Advanced Graphics controls chuck everything down to minimum, set Texture Q. to about midway and object detail to medium (I think it was that one will need to check,) it should run quite well on lower spec. machines.

I've had it working on a small 10" HP tablet PC which is not really optimized for 3D at all!

Obviously, if you want to pK this will not suffice, however, if you're into pK 'you're into it' and will most likely have a rig that is up to the job at least for the most part.

Just keep playing with the settings is the answer... not incurring hundreds of thousands of dollars to split the development, that would be crazy and end up costing us all more in the long run.

Old
    Quote Originally Posted by Saga Valkyrie View Post
    yeah lets drop XP users, and hear about all your whining about loss of players bitch bitch bitch all over again...

Not all use forums and posts screen shots either...

Why not when we are in the process make EU minimum requirement:
    24gb RAM
    4.5ghz quad cpu
    dual or maybe triple HD6990/GTX580
    so everyone need to buy a whole new EU ONLY play computer.

Lets forget everyone who dont buy a specific computer just to play EU when it works perfectly fine for everything else they use it for, as that is only sweaters, right? And you dont want to pay for sweaters game time?
    (Have you once thought that todays sweaters can be tomorrows ubers?)

Oh and surely MA is so incompetent so they dont have statistics for this or that either, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I'm using XP and have deposited plenty. Some people choose XP actually for better performance in the OS overall.
    See?

I wanna use my VIC-20. How come this game does not run on Commodore BASIC 2.0?

Old Alpha
    This is mostly a problem with the way many of the areas were designed. Whenever we make new areas we try to make sure to use the terrain occlusion because a high view distance is the real performance killer since seeing alot of terrain generates a massive amount of draw calls.
    Finally an explanation for the massive hills all over Calypso since vu 10?!?

Young
    I say if a change to CE3 is simple go for it! DX11 will be a msut and while for example Crysis 2 looked bad compared to Crysis 1 well it still looked better than most of entropia so I think it can retain visual quality while speeding up the system. Crysis 2 was waaay easier on my pc than original Crysis.

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Kpeters View Post
    I say if a change to CE3 is simple go for it! DX11 will be a msut and while for example Crysis 2 looked bad compared to Crysis 1 well it still looked better than most of entropia so I think it can retain visual quality while speeding up the system. Crysis 2 was waaay easier on my pc than original Crysis.
    Crysis was an absolute dog!

Quote Originally Posted by 00Dan View Post
    Only problem I can see with this is the need to upgrade to CE3, as CE2 does not support DX11 AFAIK. If they were to make DX11 work in CE2 would probably require modifying the engine source code, which their license should allow them to do, however MA taking something like that on behond what they have already done to convert it for MMO use is to have an unrealistic expectation of them. I also believe that the way Crytek distributes CryEngine licenses is in the form of a CryEngine license, not a CE2 or a CE3 license. So while MA may already have access to CE3, again expecting them to apply time towards something like that, while it may be a relatively simply process of porting the code and existing assets over, is not going to happen due to them being able to use that time to implement new systems instead of upgrading a current one.
    That's a rather big problem. Like, serious. I'm not sure I like the conclusions I'm reaching by following this argument to its natural conclusion.
    Laudanum
    Welcoming new and advanced players!
    Nymphtown Castle
    Aesthetic Arts for your Entropian and Real World home.

Quote Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
    Drop XP support if you have to. I sit here with my 24GB of RAM mostly unused by Windows 7.

Long live Windows 7 64 bit and DirectX 11 with tessellation!

Whoever plays on XP only, most likely does not have money to deposit anyway.
    Ignorance. My girlfriend plays on Windows XP. Why? Because she's an artist and prefers to use a Mac as her computer. It processes what she wants to do better, and she has to worry about less maintenance.

So we run windows out of Boot Camp, and have seen no tangible benefit in switching her system over to Vista/7, but a major drawback in that RAM usage balloons out, a bunch of crappy graphic effects are added, and she has to make her Windows partition bigger for no other reason than the OS is a hungry beast.

Is she broke? No. Is she posting a bunch of low res screenshots? No, she probably plays on higher graphics settings than alot of folks who post on this board, unless you all are playing on max settings.

She will absolutely eventually need to upgrade, for her own reasons. But to insinuate that people who use XP are poor is ridiculous. Check yourself.
    Laudanum
    Welcoming new and advanced players!
    Nymphtown Castle
    Aesthetic Arts for your Entropian and Real World home.

Wdll there is also something called as progession into new technology. If we all dtayed with dos 1.0 because a small % still ises it then we get nowhere. At some time ma needs to cut dx9.

Byw dx10 can work on xp with a hack buy frankly we are reaching windows 8 already and even crytek daid them selfs ee need more memory. Fyi cry3 is not a upgrade it is a slight worse engine made for.consoles becausd theu cant run cry 2 due.too low memory

Besides you can do.two clienst because it is hraphics only

To clarify, what I wanted to say was: whoever does not want to spend $200 to upgrade to Windows 7, most likely does not want to deposit either.

I do not want to insinuate people bound to the XP are poor, just inferring that their gaming budget might not be that high.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast