Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
    I do not want to insinuate people bound to the XP are poor, just inferring that their gaming budget might not be that high.
    When it comes to upgrading to Windows 7 from XP, the license cost is probably just a small part of it.

There could be an array of other reasons:
    - You don't like the new UI. Sure you can to say 75% make Windowx 7 look like classic XP, but the classic start menu you can't get without using 3rd party software, or some other of the "magic" functions in windows 7 that Microsoft wants to press down your throat (like functions in UI that depends on microsoft search engine running).

- You have printer, scanner, cellphone calendar syncronizing software, gsm/3g modem, network adapter or some other hardware that isn't windows 7(/vista) compatible.

- You have some software that isn't windows 7 compatible (like Office 2000 professional).

- You run games which uses the IPX network protocol, which isn't availible at all in windows 7 (and vista)

Generally, I'd say most people use the windows version that came with the computer they bought. In some cases, it's brand computers where the hardware drivers is embedded into the install partition (like HP) and it's hard to install another version of the OS because the hardware manufaturers might refer to "the drivers are on the CD that came with the computer".

Or, generally, "if it works [the computer system with the installed OS], don't fix it".

On my old computer which is 32-bit, I have XP, and I don't plan to upgrade it, not even if I got it for free. (Well maybe as dual-boot or something.)

My new computer is 64-bit and came with 64-bit Windows 7 home ed. A lot of "this function isn't included in your version of windows" (probably bug caused by HP OEM) - but 64 bit OS on 64 bit hardware is nice, if you have drivers for it (which in my case I have since the the OS came preinstalled with needed drivers). Though I had to spend 30 minutes after install to make it look decent (ie turning off all Vista like graphic enhancements which in my eyes just is eyecandy that doesn't give me as a user anything).

I think that if MA plans to drop support for XP, they need to announce it well in advance, to give the players who still use XP as their gaming platform an option to either sell out (which do take time - maybe months) or to get a new computer (most likely way to practically upgrade).

I think sort of a dream would be two clients: One for the serious players, and using recent technology. And another "emergency client" with the base functionality (at least enabling people to perform the actions needed to sell out, or rather things like chat with socmates.

I wonder if it would be technically possible to make a client that has very low hardware requirements, and where everything is rendered as simple as possible (colored blocks or something), but possibly without things like actions that require a higher degree of detail like hunting and mining (and, if there is a risk of "botting", disable crafting and restrict auction trading or implement some restriction that makes it unfeasible for someone who'd use it as a "bot platform"). Pretty much a client that would allow you to stay in touch with your friends if you for some reason only currently have access to a low-spec computer.
    Last edited by aia; 07-26-2011 at 22:14.
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

2. Sponsored Links
    Old
    I would have thought most poor people who had XP would have installed an illegal copy of Win 7 by now...

Old Alpha
    Quote Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
    To clarify, what I wanted to say was: whoever does not want to spend $200 to upgrade to Windows 7, most likely does not want to deposit either.
    Why keep feeding the monopoly. MA should try to get EU ported to Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by Kim|MindArk View Post
    Because it would be a very time consuming process and it would mean that we would cut support for windows XP.
    I believe Microsoft stopped official support for Windows XP a while back.
    On April 14, 2009, Windows XP and its family of operating systems were moved from Mainstream Support to the Extended Support phase as it marks the progression of the legacy operating system through the Microsoft Support Lifecycle Policy. During the Extended Support Phase, Microsoft will continue to provide security updates every month for Windows XP; however, free technical support, warranty claims, and design changes are no longer being offered.
    Two operating systems have been launched after XP back in 2001 which happened 10 years ago. Vista is DirectX 10 native and Windows 7 is DirectX 11 native.

You should seriously think of dumping DX9 support and focusing on 64bit DX10 or DX11 if possible. There are dozens of games out there already who don`t support DX9 at all.
    Those with DX10/11 systems are suffering lower DX9 graphics and worse performance because you are tending to the windows XP crowd.

I believe most users have already migrated to Windows 7 by now anyways, even if they disliked Vista.
    Last edited by Mikass; 07-27-2011 at 08:36.

Quote Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
    Why keep feeding the monopoly. MA should try to get EU ported to Linux.
    Probably because the Cryengine was designed for DirectX not openGL.

Quote Originally Posted by Amber Knightley View Post
    I hope you drop Windows XP support the day there aren't enough players using it any more! It was a while since I saw someone post a screenshot with xp I think...
    All my screenshots are taken with XP.

I just prefer XP, I do have Win7 though so I could switch if I absolutely had to.

I just have no need to. Oh and I play on Very High on all settings, I'm not using an antique PC.

Agree entirely with the comments about plenty of notice of dropping support for XP allowing those to sell their stuff should they need to, or purchase a new PC.

Recent games still support XP, for example Portal 2 a few months back.
    Last edited by Mega; 07-27-2011 at 18:15.

The simplest solution for implementing DX11 support without having to drop XP support would be to simply add the option to the client loader, and have an option on the ingame settings to enable/disable it. XP users wouldn't be affected as the option would just be greyed out for them. Several games use this, having DX9 by default with the option to enable DX11 if they have the required OS/hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by 00Dan View Post
    The simplest solution for implementing DX11 support without having to drop XP support would be to simply add the option to the client loader, and have an option on the ingame settings to enable/disable it. XP users wouldn't be affected as the option would just be greyed out for them. Several games use this, having DX9 by default with the option to enable DX11 if they have the required OS/hardware.
    Exactamundo.
    Laudanum
    Welcoming new and advanced players!
    Nymphtown Castle
    Aesthetic Arts for your Entropian and Real World home.

Kim, my dear friend. Please implement the optional DirectX 11 support - with tessellation.

I bought a $3000 desktop last Christmas specifically to play Entropia, only to witness a marginal performance improvement over my 4 years old computer. I frequently get killed in lootable pvp due to drawing lag, as I can't take full advantage of my massive CPU, graphics, and RAM.

I promise to sing praises to you and Mindark whenever I can in response.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast