Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Young
    Quote Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
    I do not want to insinuate people bound to the XP are poor, just inferring that their gaming budget might not be that high.
    I think aia responded to this comprehensively enought but in essence.... some people, WITH MONEY, CHOOSE to use Windows XP. It has little or nothing to do with cost.

And besides, if you wanted to upgrade to Win7, you might as well upgrade hardware at the same time seeing as a reasonable system can be had for between 300-600 that will run EU.

I'm sure MA will have a roadmap to discontinue support for XP systems anyway, given Microsoft have also! It will naturally die anyway, just as Windows 2000 did.

2. Sponsored Links
    Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikass View Post
    There are dozens of games out there already who don`t support DX9 at all.
    Isn't that mainly boxed games, or at least games where an average player not having depo:ed tons of money into it?
    Or single user games (mainly), where the focus is in the shooting/graphics, and not being so much of a socal platform (chatting and so on)?
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I'm sure MA will have a roadmap to discontinue support for XP systems anyway, given Microsoft have also! It will naturally die anyway, just as Windows 2000 did.
    When VU10 came out, there was one person asking in the old forum how to install it.
    I think at least VU 9 actually ran under Windows 2000, though it was not officially supported.

Another thing, seen in a wider perspective, is if it's possible to write the client in such a way that it's possible to run under Linux or even MacOS, with or without OS emulators such as WINE/Paralells.
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by aia View Post
    When VU10 came out, there was one person asking in the old forum how to install it.
    I think at least VU 9 actually ran under Windows 2000, though it was not officially supported.

Another thing, seen in a wider perspective, is if it's possible to write the client in such a way that it's possible to run under Linux or even MacOS, with or without OS emulators such as WINE/Paralells.
    Surely the component 'DirectX' negates any ability whatsoever for it to run in other Operating Systems? Admittedly I don't know of all the emulation that there is out there but I've never heard of a DX emulator.

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
    Surely the component 'DirectX' negates any ability whatsoever for it to run in other Operating Systems? Admittedly I don't know of all the emulation that there is out there but I've never heard of a DX emulator.
    There have been posts before about someone being able to run entropia in a "wine" clone, but then gotten some problems with things like texts missing (fonts).

As for running under virtualized hardware, you are running it under windows, but from there it depends on the requirement of the graphics, and what leve of graphic adapter the VM engine can emulate. Examples of levels here are things like, "Generic VGA", "Vesa", "2D" (S3 Trio), "3D with pixel shader 1.0" and up. VM Ware can do 3D with pixel shader 1.0, I think.

On the other hand, if you're running using a virtual machine; a typical home user would proably run Windows XP in a virtual machine rather than Windows 7 (one reason that's easy to explain is that XP requires less RAM to "boot").

Though, to be able to run in the long run under let's say Linux, there would probably need to be a slighly altered client, having some other kind of graphic library (OpenGL? instead of Direct-X).

Edit: According to info on http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-fbaa...c48abc741260b2 , wine currently emulates Direct X 9.0 "with support for direct x 10 on the way". (Then I guess what's needed for entropia installer is an option to disable the attempt to re-install direct X.)
    Last edited by aia; 07-28-2011 at 21:47.
    WoF team Sweden

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by aia View Post
    Edit: According to info on http://wiki.winehq.org/FAQ#head-fbaa...c48abc741260b2 , wine currently emulates Direct X 9.0 "with support for direct x 10 on the way". (Then I guess what's needed for entropia installer is an option to disable the attempt to re-install direct X.)
    That's very interesting!

I think this needs a bump. the issue is still relevant, and should be considered. After doing some research, I found out that cry 2 can indeed run both directX 9 and 10 with no problems. Unfortunately, it seems that it will not support 11 at this time. Cry 3 does support all three, but at this time I doubt that there will be a change in engines..

I think an engine change will have to wait to at least year 2020 ...

Quote Originally Posted by Thran View Post
    I think an engine change will have to wait to at least year 2020 ...
    Yep I agree. I have read that crytek could add support for directX 11 to this engine, but I think it would be at a cost. How much, I'm not sure. Maybe MA could swing a deal?

This would vastly increase the performance of the engine, and reduce lag considerably. The biggest problem with 9 is the draw distance, and support for newer graphics cards. It just doesn't have the ability use them properly, thus cuasing more problems then its worth.

Young
    For Crysis 4 they should release a new engine, and then give MA the upgrade, and make Crysis 4 on a new planet in Entropia... humans take the battle to the aliens planet... which just happens to be in the Entropia universe... they could make (L) nano-suits with powers haha

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast