Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mature

At what point will crafting become self-sustaining?

Disclaimer: My mind is going 100 miles a minute right now, so I hope this comes out comprehensible.

Obviously I do a lot of crafting and this thought/idea occurred to me and has been bugging me, that at some quantity this has to occur... at least hypothetically, no? It's all based on math, somewhere in that code that determines the end result. But at some point there is a pattern that repeats. I know there's a lot of variables that can affect this outcome but that should be irrelevant over the long run... but what is it? 50K clicks continuously, 100K clicks continuously?

Has anyone ever tried this, or thought of it? Am I crazy!?

I'll try some experiments... call me crazy or wish me luck

Leo

2. Sponsored Links
    Old Alpha
    you are starting a theory... a loot theory. I'd suggest you don't do that since it will cause you to go crazy as you pursue it and try to prove it.

Many would tell you crafting is actually more self sustaining than other professions since you know better what the result of your clicks will be then the hunters and miners...

Mature
    Many would tell you crafting is actually more self sustaining than other professions since you know better what the result of your clicks will be then the hunters and miners...

My apologies I wasn't clear, like I said a 100 miles a min. By self-sustaining I meant at which point you will not have to add/purchase more material to keep the manufacturing process going...

Already, you either get the item crafted, residue, or even original material needed to create/craft the desired item. No not always 100%, obviously. So with that said, after so many clicks at "X" you might have enough to do an additional 10 clicks to try and craft. So at what point does "x" = infinity; barring server failure, program updates/upgrades, power outages, user error, etc.

Of course that theory then leads to a loot theory by association I guess

From what I understand of the game that will never happen.
    The more you craft and the longer your runs the closer to a clean average you will get. (likely around 90% back vs. TT value)

As a crafter it is up to you to make sure that you Markup out (residue and stuff you sell) is enough higher than your markup in (resources consumed crafting) to make up for that lost 10%.

You can not beat the game, you can only beat the other players.

At least this is how I understand it to work.

narfi

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by leo irish dante View Post
    By self-sustaining I meant at which point you will not have to add/purchase more material to keep the manufacturing process going...
    My guess is that you can consider yourself "lucky" if you in the long run get more than 90% back (in terms of TT value).

To be self sustaining in the long run, my guess is that you need to get to the point where you can craft things people actually want to buy and are ready to pay markup for, rather than all those items that typically goes straight to the trade terminal (like basic filters) where you at least will lose the markup you paid for the materials - but on the other hand you will probably craft those "TT-food" items anyway to be able to advance to higher levels, and for the hope of getting some useful blueprint on the way.
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

Mature
    aia,

I understand that, and wasn't looking to start or experiment with basic filters or anything that hasn't had a proven track record with getting uber hofs, where the risk is out weighed by the gains. I've been at this for almost 3 years and I'd like to believe I'm a OK crafter (my stats are on entropedia and entropia tracker)...

But with what Narfi said, I didn't know that. Can anyone verify and validate that?

Thanks,

Leo

Young
    But with what Narfi said, I didn't know that. Can anyone verify and validate that?
    There is currently no way to beat the game to pay out [much] higher tt returns than 90% on the long run. If this was any different MA would be out of business quickly.

Mature
    Yeah I just did some calculations based off entropia tracker, with some past results for items that I know how many I can craft with 1K clicks vs the total number crafted, and that value vs the cost... yadda yadda yadda

Well that bursts my bubble

Sniff

Thanks everyone for their input and helping me think some different angles. Really stimulating and enjoyable

Best of luck all,

Leo

My apologies I wasn't clear, like I said a 100 miles a min. By self-sustaining I meant at which point you will not have to add/purchase more material to keep the manufacturing process going...

Already, you either get the item crafted, residue, or even original material needed to create/craft the desired item. No not always 100%, obviously. So with that said, after so many clicks at "X" you might have enough to do an additional 10 clicks to try and craft. So at what point does "x" = infinity; barring server failure, program updates/upgrades, power outages, user error, etc.

Of course that theory then leads to a loot theory by association I guess

Probably as soon as MA determines it no longer needs/wants to maximize it's profits.

The truth will set you free...but first it will really piss you off.

...By self-sustaining I meant at which point you will not have to add/purchase more material to keep the manufacturing process going...
    This will only happen after THE EGG hatches.

Failing that do you want to buy a bridge?
    http://jdegre.net/pe/sigs/2f5e9a962ad145cc.png
    Trust No One. Question everything, and believe nothing until you check it out yourself. Especially anything from MA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast