Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PvP and Amps

Guys, stop fighting. Wizz asked a simple question. I proposed a simple test.

Wizz can't do it for certain reasons, and I'm afraid I can't atm, either. So If anyone else wants to test any report the results, great. Otherwise we wait until one of us is able to conduct the tests.
    Always willing to learn

2. Sponsored Links
    Young
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    We know that armour works like this:

(...)
    Please remember the opening part of your opening post before making snide remarks.
    I have nothing more to add, have a nice day.

Well, the question was more like "does the 1 or 2 PENE most laser amps add to a 100% BURN gun cause some adverse effects", i.e. comparing a 7 BURN only amp and an amp that does 1 PENE and 7 BURN.

(Which seems to be the case, IF the armour is plated with i.e. 6As, as the 1 PENE is "filtered" twice if what has been posted above is correct.)
    Yes, it is filtered twice.

Have a nice day.
    Loot sucks, then you ATH.

Old
    (and please, keep this thread clean, if you haven't read Jimmy Bs thread on "How armour works", meanwhile part of PCF, you will probably not even know why Example 2 works like it was outlined above)
    Maybe it's just me, but why not?

Example 2:
    Mob B: 20 IMPACT, 10 ELECTRIC

vs.

Ghost armour: 19 IMPACT, 11 ELECTRIC

All damage types the mob causes are taken into account, therefor the ghost armour absorbs 19 + 11 = 30, means we will see only 1.0 hits.
    20 impact dmg VS 19 impact protection = 1 damage
    10 electric VS 11 = 0

==1

or am I missing something that didn't exactly shine through in this example?

Quote Originally Posted by konve View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but why not?

20 impact dmg VS 19 impact protection = 1 damage
    10 electric VS 11 = 0

==1

or am I missing something that didn't exactly shine through in this example?

Bad choice of numbers, my apologies.

Although funny that nobody noticed this in over 20 posts...

It should look like this:

Mob B: 25 IMPACT, 5 ELECTRIC

vs.

Ghost armour: 19 IMPACT, 11 ELECTRIC

All damage types the mob causes are taken into account, therefor the ghost armour absorbs 19 + 11 = 30, means we will see only 1.0 hits.

But well, i'm no longer sure that this is really what JimmyB said (and the "full damage" was meant in a different way, only affecting plates), it might indeed be the case that 19 of the 25 IMPACT are absorbed, and 5 of the 5 ELEC, resulting in (up to) 6.0 hits.

However, the replies in this thread show that some testing would indeed be good, there seem to be quite some differences in how people think it works.

I am pretty sure that there ARE people out there who would love to have some shots at me (with a BURN only gun, and two different amps, but i guess the main point here was SHOOT AT WIZZ!)

C'mon, i won't shoot back!
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

But well, i'm no longer sure that this is really what JimmyB said (and the "full damage" was meant in a different way, only affecting plates), it might indeed be the case that 19 of the 25 IMPACT are absorbed, and 5 of the 5 ELEC, resulting in (up to) 6.0 hits.
    Yes, that is the proper way in which armour works. It is only when you add on plates that you get a double filtering effect. Without plates, a 25 impact, 5 electric attack vs ghost would do up to 6.0 damage. If you were to add on a plate that would protect against EITHER impact or electric, the damage would be further reduced - by a maximum of that damage type's either protection or damage done. (such as if you put on a plate that protected only electric, even though all the electric damage had already been absorbed by the ghost)

This extends to PvP. If I had a weapon that did 25 burn, 25 shrapnel, and my opponent had an armour with 25+ burn protection and was wearing 3e with 24 burn protection, I would not be able to hit him for over 1.0 damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Hijacker27 View Post
    This extends to PvP. If I had a weapon that did 25 burn, 25 shrapnel, and my opponent had an armour with 25+ burn protection and was wearing 3e with 24 burn protection, I would not be able to hit him for over 1.0 damage.

The 25 shrapnel damage are absorbed, even though neither the plates nor the armour absorb any of it, this still kinda supports what i said in the opening post.

I got how it works, the armour absorbs 25, the plates another 24 BURN, but both are subtracted from the total damage...

but what happens when armour and plates protect for 5 burn & 5 pene each and we take a hit (20 burn & 2 pene)

The plates absorb 5 burn and 2 of the pene (=7 absorbed) and the armour does the same, so we got 14 total protection and have (up to) 6.0 hits only,
    correct?

(Because this is kinda what i wanted to know: Will the (relatively low) pene damage cause the FULL pene protection to be taken into account, which is obviously not the case then)

Still: Nobody wanna shoot me?
    I'd like to have a confirmation for these (theoretical) constructs...
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Mature
    Quote Originally Posted by Oleg View Post
    There's no way that adding an amp can reduce the amount of damage inflicted. Anyone who's spent any time in PvP can tell you that amping very clearly increases the damage inflicted.
    Gauss weapons + energy amps actually can do this against right armor + plates, as the weapon is entirely penetration damage and the amp adds a lot of burn. So if armor burn protection >= amp burn damage and plate burn protection > amp penetration damage, you will get damage reduction from having added an amp.

Say Customized Kriegrum G.2 + Pro600 vs Salamander + 3E.

but what happens when armour and plates protect for 5 burn & 5 pene each and we take a hit (20 burn & 2 pene)

The plates absorb 5 burn and 2 of the pene (=7 absorbed) and the armour does the same, so we got 14 total protection and have (up to) 6.0 hits only,
    correct?
    This is correct

11. 12-29-2016, 21:23

Reason
    spam

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123