Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyar View Post
    I understand the frustration. It's very demoralizing to a new player to not be given a chance to participate in the economy. Without an even temporary method to defend oneself, it's frustrating to be relegated to simply being tethered to an automated turret.
    On the "positive" side, there is the "Gateway" where beginners are given a chance to try out hunting, mining and crafting for free. Arroivals there get gun(s) for free (though(L)) and ammo, and get opportunity to go for a number of runs. What's importent here is that the people arriving here really tries everything out and not just run for the main teleporter immediately because they are in a hurry to meet the person they've possibly been recruited by on Calypso.

On the "negative" side, I guess that many beginners who come here from other games are used to that loots are free (=no value such as TT value), and when they get here they expect to things like hunting and mining for free. For someone who arrived freshly with no previous knowledge of how the world works it can be a tough start before you get someone to introduce you and help you begin with things that gives "free money" ingame like sweating.

Maybe the information here should be clearer - You can't hunt for free and get loots because loots can have a real value (TT-value), to be able to have the chance to get loots you must pay for ammo for shotguns and for melee weapons you pay by a higher decay.

Also maybe some of the missions in Port Atlantis are a bit too tough for beginners - maybe the sweat camp mission is better as a "first mission" than immediately try to mine for X belkar, kill x+y+z mobs or be fishfood for razorteeth. I wonder if there are more fish in the are now than when the mission was new - maybe the spawns around the fence should be lowered a bit to make it possible for a new person to accomplish by himself.

(As for the swim to Jennifers Island the fish are probably not the problem - there should be enough people around to ask for a ride and after all Jennifers Island is a party island so learning to talk to other people maybe is a point. While taking someone to Jennifers Island with a vehicle is easy, taking a beginner through the fenceposts isn't as easy, for once, you don't see the fenceposts on your radar yourself so you don't know what spots to clear up, and secondly bigger razorteeth can be challenging also for mid-level players aswell. And I wonder if MA have changed the mob-moving algorith, so if you've tried to make a clear path, once you're off-radar mobs automatically gets reset to their old position.)
    Last edited by aia; 08-25-2011 at 11:50.
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by aia View Post
    On the "positive" side, there is the "Gateway" where beginners are given a chance to try out hunting, mining and crafting for free. Arroivals there get gun(s) for free (though(L)) and ammo, and get opportunity to go for a number of runs. What's importent here is that the people arriving here really tries everything out and not just run for the main teleporter immediately because they are in a hurry to meet the person they've possibly been recruited by on Calypso.
    Which is a flaw in the New Player Experience. It's been a long time since I've gone through the NPE, but I don't recall a place where people can practice using arms, crafting, or mining. This could be that it was developed after I already passed throught he area, or it could be that the new player isn't directed to it.

On the "negative" side, I guess that many beginners who come here from other games are used to that loots are free (=no value such as TT value), and when they get here they expect to things like hunting and mining for free. For someone who arrived freshly with no previous knowledge of how the world works it can be a tough start before you get someone to introduce you and help you begin with things that gives "free money" ingame like sweating.
    The Sweat Farm does okay with trying to establish that sweating is the "Free Money" profession, BUT it fails to establish the value of Sweat to begin with. (A quest that asks for 5 units of it isn't helping to establish the value of an item...) It's practically worthless, rather than being a commodity that is worth something. I completely understand the need to keep it down there (Afterall, why would anyone buy Sweat if it was cheaper to farm it yourself on top of all the other advantages), but when a player is told "You can sell it." but find only once-in-a-blue-moon a guy that's intentionally showing up to buy at only 2PED:1000 I can see them getting a bit put off, especially when a sword is 1.5PED each.

Maybe the information here should be clearer - You can't hunt for free and get loots because loots can have a real value (TT-value), to be able to have the chance to get loots you must pay for ammo for shotguns and for melee weapons you pay by a higher decay.
    I would like to think that the flavor/descriptive text should contain details about how melee weapons are indeed designed in such a way that the lack of ammo costs are offset by increased degridation. You can chalk it up (at least on Calypso) as a side-effect of alien physiology.

Entropia's biggest problem (with regards to new players) is a lack of information for new players and what information is given is done in such a way that it's easy to glance over and not pay attention to. Getting someone to DO something is a much better way to train a player than simply throwing a quest text panel up with the detail. Unfortunately, the other more popular MMOs have trained the public to ignore quest texts, as such the quest text cards are not the best place for tutorial information.

To the Moon... and back.

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Freyar View Post
    Which is a flaw in the New Player Experience. It's been a long time since I've gone through the NPE, but I don't recall a place where people can practice using arms, crafting, or mining.
    It ("Calypso Gateway") was implemented a while ago, I don't remember when, and when it came it was open for everyone for a week. After that week the place got closed for old players and now only new players get there (and leave when they feel they're done by using a one-way teleporter, it's practically a planet of it's own so it's not on calypso map).

There are/were a few NPCs there handing out a few items like weapons (very low TT) and a limited amount of ammo. There is no trade terminal there so you will eventually run out of supplies and then what's remaining is pretty much either sweating for rest of your life there or taking the teleporter to Port Atlantis. The mobs there were same kind of "puny" mobs that are just outside (NE) of Atlantis.

It's a nice looking place though, looks like a hotel on a paradise island. I sort'a miss that place (I wouldn't mind a copy of that island being placed somewhere on calypso in the middle of an ocean.)
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

Your right the game does have a bit of expensive economic market, however there are things you can do to make your ped go slower, and there are things you can do for free, that will earn you ped or skills or both.

While sweat is not what it once was, when your ped card hits zero its still a good way to increase your health, and evade. and if you sweat til you can deposit again, you might be able to sell the sweat for the cost of your gun..

Melle is expensive, use an opallo or the handgun from TT machine, or even better the rookie gun if its available.

If you walk everywhere you go, you will slow down your kill rate, increasing the time your ped will last. and you can find stones and fruit which can be sold to players. After your ped is low, and before you deposit. Continue to walk to open the teleporters, or scout for your next hunting/mining location.

I hope you reconsider, just slow your roll till you get the hang of things..I only sweated and chated for first few months and read everything I could, I had a better understanding of what was happening when I made first deposit..course I still learn a new thing every time I turn around, partly because the game is ever changing.

Old
    I hope you reconsider, just slow your roll till you get the hang of things..I only sweated and chated for first few months and read everything I could, I had a better understanding of what was happening "before" I made first deposit..course I still learn a new thing every time I turn around, partly because the game is ever changing.
    Pretty much the same way I did it. Chatted, asked questions, read a lot of information, sweated for my gear and peds, I joined in team hunts when I could to lower the cost of hunting with society etc, deposited, skilled a bit, got into trading several times to boost my pedcard even further + sweating some more, read even more before depositing more into the game & finding out where I stand in this universe to now no longer needing to deposit so much or any after a year of solid playing. Seems like the natural progression in EU.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123