Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Beware of trust scams / Investment schemes

I thought it a timely reminder that a small % of players either due to their nature, because personal circumstances change and leave them in dire circumstances (loss of job, house repossession etc), or because they are wannabe Gordon Gecko's - decide what a great idea it would be if they asked their fellow players to give them their money so they can invest it for them.

All trades are final in Entropia Universe.

TOU 6.1. Transactions between Avatars

The Entropia Universe provides You with trading administration services (including the Auction System service, the Shop Systems services, Avatar Direct Trade System services etc) that enables You to carry out secure transactions with others, in which participating parts can exchange Virtual Items and Real World Items (the "Approved Transaction").

Please notice that transactions concerning payment for Virtual Items, including PED, outside the Entropia Universe often involve fraudulent activities. You acknowledge that any transaction regarding Virtual Items, including PED, carried out using any service or system other than one of MindArk’s Approved Transaction systems is at Your own risk. MindArk reserves the right to take any reasonably necessary measures for the purpose of preventing and acting against frauds and non-Approved Transactions, including, but not limited to, making a reservation against a suspected Transaction, and Banning and/or Terminating a directly or indirectly involved Account, if MindArk determines that the transaction was not performed in compliance to this Agreement.

MindArk acknowledges the responsibility to maintain records on all transactions with Virtual Items via MindArk's Approved Transaction systems. You agree that MindArk's transaction records shall be conclusive proof of the transaction carried out via Your Account.

You acknowledge Your responsibility to keep track of any and all transactions with Virtual Items involving Your Account. MindArk accepts no responsibility for misplaced or misused Virtual Items in any incidence, regardless of reason.

There have been regular trust scams and investment schemes over the 5 years I've played and the majority of schemes fail. Richard Devil is still remembered bitterly by some as possibly the most infamous avatar to do this.

A few weeks ago a mothership was group purchased and apparently now has been basically stolen.

Whilst I accept some have worked, probably most notably the purchase of Medusa's Head, most dont.

Good luck with your purchase with the planet Calypso (I'm being ironic) John Capital, and as you live in Las Vegas, I hope you dont put it all on Red.

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Mega View Post
    There have been regular trust scams and investment schemes over the 5 years I've played and the majority of schemes fail. Richard Devil is still remembered bitterly by some as possibly the most infamous avatar to do this.
    yea, that has to be the most infamous, i dont think he meant to start out as a ripoff artist, but it ended up that way. kinda like mudkicker, but muddy only hurt one person, whereas devil hurt lots and lots of people.

A few weeks ago a mothership was group purchased and apparently now has been basically stolen.
    i've been hearing little mentions of this. do threads regarding this situation exist for me to read up on? how does something as high profile as a mothership get stolen?? and remain that way?

Good luck with your purchase with the planet Calypso (I'm being ironic) John Capital, and as you live in Las Vegas, I hope you dont put it all on Red.
    what did john buy? i've been gone a couple days
    The Supply Line - emerald lakes mall, level 2, shop 3
    leathers, cloth, wood, paint, ematter, ores and more swing on by
    directory : entropiatools : peauction: inventory compare: entropedia : skill calc

Old Alpha
    wondering if this timely warning is about this thread, among others?:
    http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/fo...=1#post2793819

If something is an actual investment, the parties involved should have no problems with legal contracts that include snail mail, earthly addresses and contact information that can be verified.
    Alpha AG Geek \\ Founder- Manticore // VU 7.5 Colonist

Hatchling
    Quote Originally Posted by EarlVonKippler View Post

i've been hearing little mentions of this. do threads regarding this situation exist for me to read up on? how does something as high profile as a mothership get stolen?? and remain that way?
    http://www.entropiaforum.com/forum/s...r-program.html

So, John Capital, how is the plan for buying the original Project Entropia going? The one that many players years ago invested in, enjoyed and had a love / hate relationship with and was around long before you or I joined.
    Last edited by Mega; 08-20-2011 at 21:37.

Well, obviously this is meant as a personal attack on me. However, I'll reply anyway.

Ingame, all trades are final. This is something I've taught and preached at every turn and my soc runs under those rules. We borrow almost nothing from each other, and on rare occasions we do, collateral is always used. Yes in the scam cases you presented, please note that my replies to those threads always include reminders of this fact. I have always disliked "soc funds", ingame investment schemes, etc. Never took part in any, and always advised against them.

However, in the real world, things are slightly different. What I am trying to do is standard practice in the business world when building a new business. These things are covered with written contracts and appropriate actions (incorporation, etc.) so that everyone is covered as best as possible.

I have zero intention of holding my hand out and saying "gimmee cash". If that's what you're seeing, then I apologize for the misunderstanding. I'm offering an idea for something, and hoping to find the right people willing to work on the same goal. Yes, it will mean a new job for me, and likely others. However, the same would likely be true for anyone doing this.

And yes, I do recommend that if anyone has intentions of doing RL business with me, I fully require them to talk to me, discuss security concerns, and if at any time they feel uncomfortable, don't do it. And I'll do the same. As I said, I don't want just anyone with a wallet. There are folks who've contacted me that I don't feel comfortable doing business with and that's that.

I know full well that this is a very large undertaking. I also know my chances of achieving this.

But I also understand that for personal reasons, Mega, you dislike the idea of me having any business influence at any level on the next Planet Calypso Company. That's to be expected. I doubt there's a single player that, if doing this, doesn't have adversaries of their own that would speak against them.

You mentioned my mod status as a negative to being a Calypso owner. Funny enough as I've been the main moderator at both of the most active EU forums for ~2 years, I would think that would make my transition into "community relations" a natural. Or did you think that whoever next runs Calypso will not have mod powers of their own on at least PCF?

As I said, this is obviously personal from the ban I was forced to give you on PCF. I understand that and I'm not mad at all. You spoke your mind and hopefully I answered some of your questions, not for your sake, but for those who had the same concerns without voicing them publicly.
    Always willing to learn

Not just you, the countless of other investment schemes over the years.

Anyway, if people want to invest in investment schemes, they will do and all the forum threads in the world wont deter them.
    Last edited by Mega; 08-20-2011 at 21:41.

Following further information received via PM, I've edited previous posts. I accept what Mischief has posted below as well.
    Last edited by Mega; 08-20-2011 at 22:04.

Mega, I think you are totally out of line here.

A call for RL investors to merge and see what the possibilities are to purchase and run Planet Calypso is hardly reason to call the person that launched the idea a scammer. Because that is just that you are doing.

Your personal feelings towards John Capital is one thing and you certainly have the right to oppose his actions as forum mod or dislike him for any reason, but what you are doing now is truly out of line.

This isn't like the old days when a player simply picked up Eudoria and MA had to get it out from this players inventory, and I seriously doubt that MA will put Calypso on in game auction.

If, JC manage to gather the amount of partners and money needed for a purchase, then so be it. After that it's up to Mindark to decide whether to go through with a deal or not. I'm pretty sure that they will be very picky this time around, baring the SSE fiasco in mind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast