Thread: Auto-minimizing

Mature

Auto-minimizing

1) When extending your desktop across multiple screens and running Entropia in fullscreen mode on one of them, Entropia automatically minimizes if you click anywhere on the other screen.

1 version 1.1) In windowed mode, Entropia cannot be maximized to take up the whole screen. This is not a bug, but a "full screen windowed mode" is very desirable when using multiple screens, so that EU does not automatically minimize when it loses focus.

2) Occasionally, Entropia randomly minimizes when you touch the TouchPad on the computer.

Please fix this =D
    Last edited by TheOneOmega; 09-06-2011 at 19:14.

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneOmega View Post
    1) When extending your desktop across multiple screens and running Entropia in fullscreen mode on one of them, Entropia automatically minimizes if you click anywhere on the other screen.
    This is no bug, this is how windows is supposed to work.
    Just like every other window loses focus when you click somewhere else (another window or on the desktop) - a fullscreen app (directx, not windowed) which is losing focus will be minimized, the application developer has no influence on this.

2) Occasionally, Entropia randomly minimizes when you touch the TouchPad on the computer.
    No bug either - this sounds like a problem with your touchpad, seems like you trigger one of the "extra functions" most touchpads come with these days, like scroll support and such...

All touchpads can be deactivated though, either in hardware configuration or most of the better (branded) laptops have a function key for that (it's i.e. Fn+F7 on the one i'm currently posting from)
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Mature
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    This is no bug, this is how windows is supposed to work.
    Just like every other window loses focus when you click somewhere else (another window or on the desktop) - a fullscreen app (directx, not windowed) which is losing focus will be minimized, the application developer has no influence on this.
    Can I do something in Windows then to fix this problem? I can't see any use for such a feature.

No bug either - this sounds like a problem with your touchpad, seems like you trigger one of the "extra functions" most touchpads come with these days, like scroll support and such...

All touchpads can be deactivated though, either in hardware configuration or most of the better (branded) laptops have a function key for that (it's i.e. Fn+F7 on the one i'm currently posting from)
    I actually have a deactivate button above the TouchPad, but this prevents me from using it to move the cursor.

Unless there is some minimize function on my TouchPad, something is wrong with EU. Perhaps for some reason, the program minimizes when you try to scroll with the TouchPad, for the first time of the day, on a Tuesday, if the humidity is high enough. This is a bug, no?

Mature
    this is how windows is supposed to work.
    Are you sure about this? I have now heard the opposite from two separate people at two separate times when I asked in #Windows IRC chat discussions.

Folks seems to think it is up to the application.

Old
    I got that issue recently no idea why. I press something while in EU the game minimises it's been happening a lot recently and does my head in. I can't believe this is a hardware issue as I've never experienced this before while playing EU and now someone else has the same issue? Coincidental, naha..

Can I do something in Windows then to fix this problem? I can't see any use for such a feature.

It's not a "feature" - it's a necessity.

I actually have a deactivate button above the TouchPad, but this prevents me from using it to move the cursor.
    It doesn't have to be a "Minimize" function - it could be some kind of "Quick launch", even if not assigned it might cause the taskbar to pop up - which causes EU to lose focus... yada yada...

Unless there is some minimize function on my TouchPad, something is wrong with EU. Perhaps for some reason, the program minimizes when you try to scroll with the TouchPad, for the first time of the day, on a Tuesday, if the humidity is high enough. This is a bug, no?
    I have some trouble understanding your problem - if you use a mouse, why do you need the touchpad then? (at least while playing EU) - if you don't have a mouse, or want to use the touchpad, how come you don't touch the pad all the time?

What do i miss here? Or do you play EU with a touchpad?

However, i doubt it is a bug - a touchpad is a human interface device, just like a mouse, and both don't have direct influence on any application.

And that you cannot reconstruct what triggers it sounds 100% like the pad issue i outlined before.

Are you sure about this?
    Yes.

I have now heard the opposite from two separate people at two separate times when I asked in #Windows IRC chat discussions.

Folks seems to think it is up to the application.
    If you ask "folks on the internet" you will probably get as many answers as there are people around - everyone who finds the power switch pretends to be a computer genius these days... most of what the tell is just plain bullcrap.

The same goes for computer stores (and most people think they actually know a thing or two about computers) - the salesmen always tell you to update the driver when something isn't working as it should - most of them know as much about computers as your grandma.

You don't have to believe me, just ask yourself:
    What does Alt+Tab and why does it minimize the (fullscreen) EU window?

And what happens when the EU window loses focus for some other reason, i.e. an error message pops up?

Windows is a multitasking environment, running dozends of processes at the same time - windows has to ensure that keyboard and mouse input will arrive at the correct target - that's what the "focus" is for.

Now tell me what happens when a window has focus but you can't see it because your fullscreen directx app still covers the entire screen? Exactly, you don't know if you format your c: drive with your "blind" mouseclicks.

It is different for normal application windows that cover the full size of your monitor, but are still "normal" windows (just StayOnTop) - these apps do NOT write directly to the gfx card buffer and follow normal windows conventions (i.e. you can still get the taskbar in front of such a window - that's very likely what your "internet folks" can't tell apart...)

There are programs that all you to set any window to "allways on top"
    I haven't used one in a long time so cant make a recommendation, but I know they exist, were free (cnet) and worked well for what I wanted at the time. I don't know that it will fix this issue for you, but cant hurt to try.

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerSmurf View Post
    There are programs that all you to set any window to "allways on top"
    I haven't used one in a long time so cant make a recommendation, but I know they exist, were free (cnet) and worked well for what I wanted at the time. I don't know that it will fix this issue for you, but cant hurt to try.
    I have explained above that a directx fullscreen application is NOT a windowed application.

DirectX apps write their content directly to the graphics card buffer, and catch the mouse/keyboard input before it reaches the windows dispatcher.

They are "always on top" because they do not follow the rules windowed applications have to follow (i.e. stacking) - with the drawback that windows HAS to minimize them when they lose focus.

Nuff said, i'm wasting my time here.
    *unsub*

Mature
    Well I think Windows should let me have all C Drive formatting messages forwarded to my second screen while a full screen app is running, but maybe that level of configuration is the future of Windows and not the present.

I appreciate the explanation, and I guess I will change my first request to "MindArk, please allow me to maximize my windowed EU!"

Mature
    I have some trouble understanding your problem - if you use a mouse, why do you need the touchpad then? (at least while playing EU) - if you don't have a mouse, or want to use the touchpad, how come you don't touch the pad all the time?

What do i miss here? Or do you play EU with a touchpad?
    Generally I use the mouse, but something I use both at once (both in and out of EU). I can't really explain why, but this sometimes helps me react much more quickly in a time sensitive situation.