Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Updates to the ET client

Made a few updates to the client last night / today.

- The "start page" of the ET client now looks a little like the EU clientloader now. News about the client will be posted there from now on.

- Added some of the server communication to the "communication thread" inside the program, this should help with the lag some people have got lately.

- Added the option for the program to backup/autoback up your chat.log if it gets large.

- Added a method so the ET client can auto start with windows, please note that for some odd reason, the first time you start windows after you have enabled this option, you need to fill out all details again. (Working on a fix so you do not need to do that - I may need to make a settings.ini file for that)...

Thats all from here now..
    Please check - those of you who had lag previously, with screenshots especially, if there is still lag...

2. Sponsored Links
    Nice thanks for the update.

all we need now to finish it off would be a nice desktop icon

Quote Originally Posted by Pauhe Gunor View Post
    Nice thanks for the update.

all we need now to finish it off would be a nice desktop icon
    There should be an icon for the app.. ?.. the "ET logo" ... you dont get that icon for the program?

Quote Originally Posted by starfinder View Post
    There should be an icon for the app.. ?.. the "ET logo" ... you dont get that icon for the program?
    when i install ET i get no desktop Shortcut icon, the only ET icon shortcut is placed in this folder... C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu\Programs

i only found this shortcut icon since you mentioned there should be one and now i can copy it to the desktop, but it don't place it on the desktop

Old
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauhe Gunor View Post
    when i install ET i get no desktop Shortcut icon, the only ET icon shortcut is placed in this folder... C:\Users\********\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Window s\Start Menu\Programs

i only found this shortcut icon since you mentioned there should be one and now i can copy it to the desktop, but it don't place it on the desktop
    And if you have the icon on your desktop, it will be deleted when a new version of ET is installed, which is quite annoying.

Young
    Thanks Starfinder! Nice update.

Due to my current suffer&suckotage in mining I didn't manage get any globs yesterday, hope, today will be better.

But there was another network error, and it was just crash with "program stopped working" msg. It was happened twice yesterday. Didn't recorded that error, unfortunatelly. Will do it when catch it again.

Quote Originally Posted by dr3w View Post
    Thanks Starfinder! Nice update.

Due to my current suffer&suckotage in mining I didn't manage get any globs yesterday, hope, today will be better.

But there was another network error, and it was just crash with "program stopped working" msg. It was happened twice yesterday. Didn't recorded that error, unfortunatelly. Will do it when catch it again.
    Your computer is possessed!
    How can
    public int someMethod(object stuff){
    private int result = 0;
    try
    {
    result = network stuff to get result...;
    }
    catch
    {}
    return result;}

... return a "program crash"..

Young
    How can
    private int result = 0;
    try
    {
    }
    catch
    {}
    return result;}

My computer is stable as shit of mammoth!

It can! Since it's NOT return, it's just crash, and error msg is simple post-mortem windows message. So the problem somewhere else.

Had one crash today, and damn, forgot to copy that msg txt again.

BUT SCREENIES WORKING PUUUURRRRFECTLY, THANK YOU!

How can
    private int result = 0;
    try
    {
    }
    catch
    {}
    return result;}

That try...catch block obviously doesn't cover all your code when there's some code OUTSIDE creating an object (the one you pass as a parameter)...

The exception is thrown and bubbles up to the OS - so it is OBVIOUSLY not caught (and subsequently wasn't thrown within the try...catch block)

I reckon that "network stuff to get result" is just a send/receive subroutine isn't it? The object you pass as parameter here is very likely a wrapper 'round a tcp socket then?

Are you using async (non-blocking/callback) send/receive calls? Or do you use a separate thread and blocking calls?

If you use non-blocking calls your little try...catch block is pretty much useless if you pass i.e. a bad pointer and the OS accesses this pointer AFTER your function call returned (and has already left the try...catch block)

And of course it will not catch exceptions thrown from the socket wrapper object outside of your try...catch block.
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    That try...catch block obviously doesn't cover all your code when there's some code OUTSIDE creating an object (the one you pass as a parameter)...
    Yeah, for the life of me I just dont know where the program fails.
    "Try catch around the main method - with a post error log to a file".. That might be a solution for people who has ET crashing on them, so they can send me the log so I can debug.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    I reckon that "network stuff to get result" is just a send/receive subroutine isn't it? The object you pass as parameter here is very likely a wrapper 'round a tcp socket then?
    Actually the object is just the "formatted data" from the chat log.
    All the server communication, including creating the connection, is in the method. And its not so fancy that it uses sockets, its just SOAP.. so an XML packet over tcp. (low level its likely its making a tcp socket connection - well it is, but programming it in .NET you dont need to do anything like that, .NET does it for you when you create the SOAP connection object.

You are ninja coder "I want full control of everything".. Im the pop coder - use .NET and only change whats needed.
    I thought we had already established that

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast