Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by starfinder View Post
    Yeah, for the life of me I just dont know where the program fails.
    "Try catch around the main method - with a post error log to a file".. That might be a solution for people who has ET crashing on them, so they can send me the log so I can debug.
    The log won't really help you when you do not know where the exception is thrown.

And in general "just wrapping main() in a try...catch block is bad form, to say the least - exceptions do serve a purpose, and you should try to find out why it got thrown.

Actually the object is just the "formatted data" from the chat log.
    All the server communication, including creating the connection, is in the method. And its not so fancy that it uses sockets, its just SOAP.. so an XML packet over tcp. (low level its likely its making a tcp socket connection - well it is, but programming it in .NET you dont need to do anything like that, .NET does it for you when you create the SOAP connection object.
    You create a socket everytime you send data? No wonder your server is overloaded all the time...

And btw - didn't you tell me a while back that you send only raw data and that XML is a waste of bandwidth?
    (according to your former partner)

You are ninja coder "I want full control of everything".. Im the pop coder - use .NET and only change whats needed.
    I thought we had already established that
    Well, yes - i do want control over every bit - but there is a general rule of thumb how to write complex applications - make logical application blocks for every part of the program, and develop them independently - in the end, just glue everything together.

If you like, wrap the parts in components, so you have a well-formed interface between the parts from the start.

This has the (incredibly huge) advantage that you can simulate all kinds of situations and error conditions to be sure it does what you want, even under extreme circumstances.
    (as opposed to "blind panic reaction to exception w/ unknown origin: wrapping main() in an exception handler!)

But well, to be somewhat constructive here at last:

To fix a bug you must be able to reproduce it or to narrow it down to as little code as possible (preferably both) - which means basically just this:

dr3w, give more info - when does it crash (under what circumstances, can you maybe provoke the crash?), what does it say in the error message
    (screenie!), and everything else you may have noticed.
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

2. Sponsored Links
    Young
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    dr3w, give more info - when does it crash (under what circumstances, can you maybe provoke the crash?), what does it say in the error message
    (screenie!), and everything else you may have noticed.
    I will, I will, just need to catch the moment.

How to simulate my conditions: easy. I just describe my situation.

In house (where I rent room) we have shitty uDSL. Kinda 512kb max, or somth. And... (take your breath) there is 5 computers hangin on that.

I always pinging our end router, to keep an eye on network load. When we come home, someone starting to surf, mail (OK for a while), me starting playing (OK too, ping 10-20, no packet-loss), but when a [censored] justmarried couple come - one of them start downloading movies (torrent! this is a killer), one starting to upload photos on damn facefook (upload! it's uDSL killer).

So, my ping went up to 800-1200. When there is torrent - I have a shitloads of packetlosses, sometimes it's near 80%! As I understand, torrent client make a lot of TCP/IP connections, thus downing our network. Even if neighbour downloaded movie, and ping is ok again but he forgot to close torrent client - there is still huge packetlosses, in those times ET can die.

But... not EU. I have big delays in EU cuz of high ping - but not in case of packet losses. Maybe EU working on different protocols, like UDP, I don't know.

So, to simulate that behavior - just cap your bandwidth, start torrent with a lot of connections - and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by dr3w View Post
    I always pinging our end router, to keep an eye on network load. When we come home, someone starting to surf, mail (OK for a while), me starting playing (OK too, ping 10-20, no packet-loss), but when a [censored] justmarried couple come - one of them start downloading movies (torrent! this is a killer), one starting to upload photos on damn facefook (upload! it's uDSL killer).

So, my ping went up to 800-1200. When there is torrent - I have a shitloads of packetlosses, sometimes it's near 80%! As I understand, torrent client make a lot of TCP/IP connections, thus downing our network. Even if neighbour downloaded movie, and ping is ok again but he forgot to close torrent client - there is still huge packetlosses, in those times ET can die.
    You shouldn't have packet losses when you ping the ROUTER.

The bottleneck is the low dsl bandwidth, not the connection between your computer and the router, so you may experience higher pingtimes, but up to 80% packet loss is not acceptable - is the router maybe still from WWII?

Young
    You shouldn't have packet losses when you ping the ROUTER.

The bottleneck is the low dsl bandwidth, not the connection between your computer and the router, so you may experience higher pingtimes, but up to 80% packet loss is not acceptable - is the router maybe still from WWII?
    Dude, I said - "end router".

I have connected to my personal router by cable. Then my router is going to another router (which I pinging), to that end router (which isn't from WWII, but according to owner's words - was survived (partially) lighting strike, haha), which is with WIFI feature, connected rest 4 computers, some by cables, some via WIFI. Then that last router is going to uDSL modem.

Ofc if I pinging MY router - I have superb stats. But shit begins beyond that.

Dude, I said - "end router".

I have connected to my personal router by cable. Then my router is going to another router (which I pinging), to that end router (which isn't from WWII, but according to owner's words - was survived (partially) lighting strike, haha), which is with WIFI feature, connected rest 4 computers, some by cables, some via WIFI. Then that last router is going to uDSL modem.

Ofc if I pinging MY router - I have superb stats. But shit begins beyond that.
    Dr3w... don't call me dude - i'm not one of your sandbox buddies, mkay?

It makes no difference which router you are pinging, no matter how many cascading routers you have running there - the bottleneck is STILL the dsl, and all i said above STILL applies.

But ok, i will rephrase it for you:
    You should have excellent ping times to EVERY device on YOUR side of the dsl connection, because the bottleneck is the dsl.
    Ping packets you're sending to devices within your little "subnet" DO NOT GO OVER DSL.

On a sidenote:
    How many devices are connected to "your" router?
    And, are you, by chance, pinging the WAN IP of your "eeeend router"?

Young
    Dr3w... don't call me dude - i'm not one of your sandbox buddies, mkay?
    Looks like you one from those geeks with high IQ, but way higher snobistic ego, according to other threads where you had your discussion with others.

Do you really can't admit that sometimes you can be wrong? It's OK. We really need to insult each other cuz of that?

If you don't like how people calling you - look in the mirror, just an advice.

It makes no difference which router you are pinging, no matter how many cascading routers you have running there - the bottleneck is STILL the dsl, and all i said above STILL applies.
    Yes, o Guru (I hope it's better than "dude"?), I never said that dsl isn't bottleneck. But:

But ok, i will rephrase it for you:
    You should have excellent ping times to EVERY device on YOUR side of the dsl connection, because the bottleneck is the dsl.
    Ping packets you're sending to devices within your little "subnet" DO NOT GO OVER DSL.

On a sidenote:
    How many devices are connected to "your" router?
    And, are you, by chance, pinging the WAN IP of your "eeeend router"?
    To my router connected only my PC.

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.0.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=255

My router. It's always like that and it's ok. Now, next one:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=2ms TTL=63

Now everyone is sleeping and total happines in the house. As you can see, it's not WAN IP. But shit starting right there, in case of all-in-house activity. And this is before DSL.

Looks like you one from those geeks with high IQ, but way higher snobistic ego, according to other threads where you had your discussion with others.
    I simply asked you to not call me "dude" - nothing more nothing less.

Why this should be "snobistic" is not comprehensible.

Do you really can't admit that sometimes you can be wrong? It's OK. We really need to insult each other cuz of that?
    Dr3w, in order to admit that i am wrong, i have to be wrong - which is not the case here.

If you don't like how people calling you - look in the mirror, just an advice.
    Now it's becoming even more hilarious - if i don't like when a gamer kid like you calls me "dude" i should look in the mirror... what am i supposed to see there?

Yes, o Guru (I hope it's better than "dude"?), I never said that dsl isn't bottleneck. But:
    Please don't call me "guru" either.

To my router connected only my PC.

Pinging 192.168.0.1 with 32 bytes of data:

My router. It's always like that and it's ok. Now, next one:

Pinging 192.168.1.1 with 32 bytes of data:

Now everyone is sleeping and total happines in the house. As you can see, it's not WAN IP. But shit starting right there, in case of all-in-house activity. And this is before DSL.
    Well, as i said before "unless your router is from WWII" - which is apparently the case here.

Obviously even "your" router is crap - pinging any node in your little home lan (no network load) should result in this:

time<1ms

You have 2ms for 2 hops, that alone is not acceptable.
    Last edited by wizzszz; 09-27-2011 at 15:31.

Young
    skipped
    Thank you very much for your help.

Please don't call me "guru" either.

Can I?

Oh, ET now makes a error.log in your "documents/entropia tracker/" folder if it encounters an error in the program which it can recover from.

Can I?
    You're just keen on a guru meditation...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast