Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 367891011121314 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Magyar View Post
    Its not an AMD thing. It's an EU thing. I've been running AMD flawlessly on EU without any workarounds, up until the last patch. Now I crash to Desktop after about 5 minutes. Not that its really bugging me. I'm busy at work right now and have little time for EU. They'll fix it. I'm just saying:

My system didn't change. EU did.

This chip isn't the new ones being dicussed here. The new ones have an entirely different 3D instruction set and is based on a design that requires new X86 codes to understand it's cores properly.

Your chip was is the one before this bulldozer design and uses the regular instruction sets and current X86 coding.

Im not sure what MA did in order for your chip to have these problems.

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by vedder View Post
    Switching off core 0, worked like a charm for me, until latest VU.

After that I needed like 30-50 attempt before I was able to log on. Sometimes I had to give up.

BUT: After I changed the client loaders PRIORITY to 'normal' or 'above normal', switching off Core 0 now works again.

Just thought I'd post it, in case it could help others.
    Good find, I will make sure to post this on pcf, if you haven't already.

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Alien View Post
    This chip isn't the new ones being dicussed here. The new ones have an entirely different 3D instruction set and is based on a design that requires new X86 codes to understand it's cores properly.

Your chip was is the one before this bulldozer design and uses the regular instruction sets and current X86 coding.

Im not sure what MA did in order for your chip to have these problems.
    To be a bit mean (on AMD), if I get it right those processors aren't really 4-core (or whatever), but closer to 2 core with hyperthreading, and by only allowing entropia to run on one "processor" you avoid some problem (I don't have any slightest why - entropia is single CPU as far as I know - but maybe it's a problem if the OS decides to move an application from one core to another and the application thinks it's been moved to a new CPU/independent core).

I don't know how hard it would be for MA to implement such an option, but maybe it would be possible to implement a "debug option" in client loader "Run client on CPU x only" such as the command "start /affinity 2 ..." which starts a program to run on CPU 2 only. (Parameter=hexadecimal value; 1=CPU1, 2=CPU2, 4=CPU3 etc)

Example: To run "cmd.exe" on CPU 2 (core 2 only) with AboveNormal priority, you can use the following command to start it from a desktop icon (you might ahve to supply path to cmd.exe):
    cmd.exe /c start /affinity 2 /abovenormal cmd.exe

"cmd.exe /c" is to be able to use the start command which is built-into cmd.exe.
    Last edited by aia; 10-23-2012 at 18:40.
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

Quote Originally Posted by aia View Post
    To be a bit mean (on AMD), if I get it right those processors aren't really 4-core (or whatever), but closer to 2 core with hyperthreading, and by only allowing entropia to run on one "processor" you avoid some problem (I don't have any slightest why - entropia is single CPU as far as I know - but maybe it's a problem if the OS decides to move an application from one core to another and the application thinks it's been moved to a new CPU/independent core).

I don't know how hard it would be for MA to implement such an option, but maybe it would be possible to implement a "debug option" in client loader "Run client on CPU x only" such as the command "start /affinity 2 ..." which starts a program to run on CPU 2 only. (Parameter=hexadecimal value; 1=CPU1, 2=CPU2, 4=CPU3 etc)

Example: To run "cmd.exe" on CPU 2 (core 2 only) with AboveNormal priority, you can use the following command to start it from a desktop icon (you might ahve to supply path to cmd.exe):
    cmd.exe /c start /affinity 2 /abovenormal cmd.exe

"cmd.exe /c" is to be able to use the start command which is built-into cmd.exe.
    Actually, AMD had chips with 2,4, and 8 physical cores on it.

The real poblem with this chip is the design. They tried to accomplish something that even intel failed to do and hopped that the major players in software industry would back them up and solve the over all problem.

As you can see the software companies didn't particularly want to help.

Your idea is a good one, but this wouldn't work all the time and in the end you would have to revert back to the fix listed in this thread. I have done a quick fix as well but it doesn't always start on the first try. Sometimes it can take up to 30 some tries before I can log on. Most times I have to go in and change whitch core to shut off or multiple.

The underlying problem has never been fixed, "completely". This is the reason they dropped the chip altogether and went to a different design.

Unfortunately I would like to say their new chip is a winner, but I have been checking it out and it seems even the new chip has missed the mark. Also is its seems they brought this chip out to stall people untill they bring out a new one in 2013. Again a new design. All this has hit AMD very hard. They have already laid off 1000+ and are in the midst of another 1800.

Here is a link to some of what I was saying.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing...zer-fell-short

And this one here.

http://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD-V...e-301390.shtml
    Last edited by Nor Alien; 10-24-2012 at 04:09.

Dominant
    Your idea is a good one, but this wouldn't work all the time and in the end you would have to revert back to the fix listed in this thread. I have done a quick fix as well but it doesn't always start on the first try. Sometimes it can take up to 30 some tries before I can log on. Most times I have to go in and change whitch core to shut off or multiple.
    My suggestion of starting PE client would "build in" the manual steps into the client loader; starting with affinity right away so to speak so you don't have to set it after program has started.

Quote Originally Posted by fineprobe View Post
    for them open the taskmanager and right click "clientloader.exe".
    change the number of used cpus under affinity and discard CPU0 to CPU6 .. or CPU0 to CPU2 on quadcores!
    or maybe you had another solution in mind?

(Besides rewriting the whole program)

On this (my new) computer I have Intel CPU with 2 cores+hyperthreading (task manager shows 4 CPUs but only 2 of them are "real") and I haven't had any major problems with it. My main cause of real crashes is occasionally when leaving mothership by flying out near a planet, in eaerlier VUs I could get a crash even if I TPd between two areas (most notorious Next Island -> Ancient Greece but I could also crash if I just used TP-chip between two server areas on Calypso).

(My old computer is single core 32-bit AMD and main problem with that one was that as from VU 10.9 opening storage could take 5 minutes so I had to get a new computer to keep my sanity.)
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

Hatchling

Unhappy

I tried a lot of methods I use AMD fx-6100
    Do not have this problem before using the inte p4 dual core

My suggestion of starting PE client would "build in" the manual steps into the client loader; starting with affinity right away so to speak so you don't have to set it after program has started.

or maybe you had another solution in mind?

(Besides rewriting the whole program)

On this (my new) computer I have Intel CPU with 2 cores+hyperthreading (task manager shows 4 CPUs but only 2 of them are "real") and I haven't had any major problems with it. My main cause of real crashes is occasionally when leaving mothership by flying out near a planet, in eaerlier VUs I could get a crash even if I TPd between two areas (most notorious Next Island -> Ancient Greece but I could also crash if I just used TP-chip between two server areas on Calypso).

(My old computer is single core 32-bit AMD and main problem with that one was that as from VU 10.9 opening storage could take 5 minutes so I had to get a new computer to keep my sanity.)
    You can build your own start up icon for EU with the affinity set with the cores you wish to use as found on PCF.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

The problem with this is that even though this does this for you before you start, it doesn't always work. So in order for you to get it to go again, you have to go in manually and set a different core. Even then it may not start and sometimes it can take several tries before it does.

Until AMD helps MA patch the problem, this isn't going to get fixed. Even then, there isn't an actual fix to the CPU problem, hence the reason AMD is just dropping it for the new one they just released. Unfortunatly, after doing some more research, this chip may not work with EU as well. Not only that but it isn't that much better performance then the last one.

For your cpu and the issues you are having, tell me about your other hardware and the OS your using. There maybe a something I can suggest.
    Last edited by Nor Alien; 10-25-2012 at 06:47.

Quote Originally Posted by yunghsin View Post
    I tried a lot of methods I use AMD fx-6100
    Do not have this problem before using the inte p4 dual core
    Hi. So you have this cpu and you tried the methods listed here in this thread.

One thing I have to ask quickly, is did you make sure after you set the affinity, you closed the task manager? If you don't close it first before you click launch, it will fail every time.

If this isn't the problem, then tell me exactly how you are doing this, and I will see what I can do.

Dominant
    For your cpu and the issues you are having, tell me about your other hardware and the OS your using. There maybe a something I can suggest.
    The new computer is a HP g5283sc (nothing changed in hardware) and with the standard OS installed (Wndows 7 64-bit Home edition). I deliberately didn't upgrade graphics to a monster card as I want to have computer turned on even when I don't play, so 5450 graphics I think and 4 gigabyte memory. It has 1 gigabit of graphic memory though.
    WoF team Sweden

The new computer is a HP g5283sc (nothing changed in hardware) and with the standard OS installed (Wndows 7 64-bit Home edition). I deliberately didn't upgrade graphics to a monster card as I want to have computer turned on even when I don't play, so 5450 graphics I think and 4 gigabyte memory. It has 1 gigabit of graphic memory though.
    For your connection to the net, are you hard wired or are you using wireless?

After checking the specs from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...t=4348478#N331

I see this is the older amd vid card. What version of drivers are you using.

Also, since they are upgrading the avatars and have started, you may consider uping the amount of system memory, but in the end this shouldn't cause this unless you are doing alot of multi tasking in the background. Then this could be using up precious ram the game needs to run..
    Last edited by Nor Alien; 10-25-2012 at 07:37.