Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by AxeMurderer View Post
    Played 1 year on 32 bit win 7 and crashed a lot even on lower setting after few minutes in Twin.
    Then I installed on the same PC 64 bit win 7 and now I can play on the best graphic in twin or anywhere else with no crashes for hours and days.
    PC with 4 GB ram.
    Fine fine, but please don't call that "test"...

(And btw - a clean installation of windows will always run better than one that got clogged by 1000s of installations and probably corrupted system libraries by random crashes... and, i better don't ask what versions you were comparing there)
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    Fine fine, but please don't call that "test"...
    Sure, just tell me how to call it

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    (And btw - a clean installation of windows will always run better than one that got clogged by 1000s of installations and probably corrupted system libraries by random crashes... and, i better don't ask what versions you were comparing there)
    for 1 year there was at least 1 clean install of win 7 32.
    and all were ultimate

Sure, just tell me how to call it
    Personal experience maybe?!

for 1 year there was at least 1 clean install of win 7 32.
    and all were ultimate
    Well, you do know that the 64 bit version of windows is (with a couple of exceptions) generated from the same C source code, only compiled for the corresponding instruction set/pointer size - and that running 32 bit windows on a 64 bit processor only means that the processor is set to 32 bit mode...

Some advantages may arise though, like the better handling of 64 bit I/O busses, and other operations - but i don't think that this is sooo noticeable...

However, rule of thumb: install the OS that matches your processor architecture - a 32 bit OS on a 64 bit system totally defeats the advantages of a processor being able to handle 8 byte in one operation (as opposed to 4 bytes in 32 bit systems) - this is not always useful though, many operations work on single bytes only.
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Old
    Arkadia, first tree to the left behind the Oro
    Hi,

if installing a windows on a half ways modern machine I'd always use the 64bit version. It's not this much of a difference, but you'll be safer for the future. 32bit as OS is dying and will soon start to make problems.

Only exception: You own precious, irreplaceable age-old peripherals. Possible that you'd not find any 64bit drivers anymore. For my trusty, indestructible stone-age LaserJet 4 M/PS I got one still ;-)

And Win7 pro comes with Virtual PC and a XP license, that runs quite well. In case that you just cannot forego your old Heidelberger offset machine ;-)

Have fun!

EU runs better on 32 or 64 bit win7

64-bit anytime, suppose this is settled.

What about the reasons why 64-bit OS is better - the problem seems to be the maximum available RAM on 32-bit OS, and only that.

I'm running XP Home (32-bit ofc) on the ancient motherboard that does not support more than 3,5Gb RAM but i'm still running the game smoothly at maximum settings. Problems arise only in Twins and sometimes on the new islands, while TP-ing there or away from there - pretty often it ends with out of memory error, and crash.

What's interesting, after logging in again (no machine reboot) it runs just fine. Looks like the game engine can't unload the set of objects from the last location/TP from the RAM by itself, and u have to do it "manually" by restarting the game?

Old
    Arkadia, first tree to the left behind the Oro
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Fifth View Post
    What about the reasons why 64-bit OS is better - the problem seems to be the maximum available RAM on 32-bit OS, and only that.
    You might be right.

I was on Win 2K for ages, tried XP 32, didn't see major improvements, shied the full system change (no, update is not an option if you want a well working OS after), didn't do.

Tried XP 64 (fiasco) and Vista (Arrgghh ...), and when EU refused to run under Win 2K, bought another HD, and installed the Win7 RC's for multi-boot, both 32 and 64.

Multi-core Athlon, 4 GB RAM, Geforce GT 240.

Didn't notice any improvements in game with the 64 bit version (compared to Win7 32), but 64 had a better feeling of "smoothness" generally, and booted a bit faster. I may imagine ...

Bought Win7 64 pro then. It supports all of my outdated hardware, it runs better then any Win before, I'll use it for quite some more years, this is for sure. I don't need to buy any other minor update. I don't need to be at the spearhead of OS development.

I need a rock-solid OS, that will serve me for the longest time possible. Any 32 bit OS would have been a fault then, the train is for 64 bit already, soon 32 bit-OS'ses will face the fact that the first programs will refuse to work on them. Been there, done that.

Now, I'm quite sure that I'll keep my Win7 64 pro for the next 3 - 5 years. I'm certainly not a MS fan boi, but this Win is the best I ever had. And it even shows the shortcomings of my formerly beloved MacOS, as well as the shortcomings of many Linux distributions. IMHO, for sure. *1)

This justifies the price. IMHO.

Have fun!

*1) I need a Window installed to earn my food. Sorry. But even if I have all sympathy for Linux, I have yet to find a way to make even the most new distributions work on my periphery that I just cannot scrap. Tried often, ever failed.
    Windows doesn't see any problem, it just installs and works.

And I'll not start now, in 2012, to type in any esoteric commands into a DOS-like CLI. I'm writing with a ball pen (if I don't use EMail anyways), and don't carve my letters into a piece of granite anymore, right?

I was think Win32 at my System is best but after install Win7 64bit i see that it runs much better even at an old single CPU Athlon 64 System. Better usage of Ram, no Crashes anymore and not only at Entropia even other Games and Programs are much more safe running now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12