Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Serica View Post
    2. Calypso->FOMA is the only possible 'planetary' transit where the ship could end in a storage other than the planet that the owner is on. (Any other space flight takes longer than the available 10min before the Auto-Recall feature kicks in.) TBH, I don't think it would actually be recalled to FOMA storage even under that scenario, unless there was storage in the FOMA hangar (which there isn't).
    It is possible to, i.e. spawn a quad on calypso and use a mothership (with warp drive) to travel to another planet under 10 minutes.

Then we have the scenario outline in the opening post, owner on planet X, vehicle on planet Y.

A "recall all vehicles" or an auto-despawn will put the vehicle into planet Ys storage (the planet the vehicle is currently on), NOT into planet Xs storage (the planet the owner is currently on) - otherwise the system could be exploited just the way it was outline in the opening post.
    (Just read the message when you recall your vehicles, a very good hint on what will happen - feel free to disprove me, now that i have told you how this can be tested)

I wonder why you keep argueing here though, i have already reached the point where i can do nothing but rephrase what i've said already, hoping you will understand this time.
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    It is possible to, i.e. spawn a quad on calypso and use a mothership (with warp drive) to travel to another planet under 10 minutes.

Then we have the scenario outline in the opening post, owner on planet X, vehicle on planet Y.

A "recall all vehicles" or an auto-despawn will put the vehicle into planet Ys storage (the planet the vehicle is currently on), NOT into planet Xs storage (the planet the owner is currently on) - otherwise the system could be exploited just the way it was outline in the opening post.
    (Just read the message when you recall your vehicles, a very good hint on what will happen - feel free to disprove me, now that i have told you how this can be tested)

I wonder why you keep argueing here though, i have already reached the point where i can do nothing but rephrase what i've said already, hoping you will understand this time.
    Good point, I hadn't considered a person landing the borrowed quad inside a mothership and thus moving it.

The point about an exploit by using this to move loot tho is moot - iirc, the player who 'borrows' it doesn't have access to the vehicle's storage in any case, so they can hardly fill it up with items and then have it recalled.

I do know (as I've done this), that when I'm on Calypso, and I loan my ship to a friend, he can leave the planet, and the ship will de-spawn/be recalled to my storage on Calypso - however the person borrowing has only ever gone as far as the Calypso Space Station server area.

Why am I continuing to post? Sheer intellectual curiosity. I'm interested in what the actual results are when a ship is loaned to another player, under the widest possible range of scenarios. (You've not said that you've tested this exhaustively yourself, only this is what you believe to be what happens.)

IMHO, things like this are worth actually testing When I return to Calypso (where my spare quad is in storage atm), I'll contact one of the mothership owners to see if we can try some stuff out.

One of my soc members (Estar) just did one small test:
    First, he parked his quad in the FOMA hangar, then went mining in the domes waiting for the timer to expire. The vehicle de-spawned - not to FOMA storage, as might be expected - but to his carried inventory.
    He then spawned the ship again, and returned to the dome and this time recalled it using the action key. Despite the message that the vehicle would return 'to the planet storage', it actually returned to his carried inventory again.
    Last edited by Serica; 01-18-2012 at 13:44.

Good point, I hadn't considered a person landing the borrowed quad inside a mothership and thus moving it.
    Interesting, too - but not quite what i meant - my scenario was more like this:

1. You spawn the vehicle at Arkadia & fill it with stuff you wanna transport
    2. You use a warp drive supporting vehicle (mothership) to travel to Calypso
    3. You invoke the "recall to storage" action (or wait for the vehicle to despawn automatically due to timeout)
    4. Check whether the vehicle is in Calypso (explot works) or Arkadia Storage (exploit wont work, vehicles won't return across server borders)

The point about an exploit by using this to move loot tho is moot - iirc, the player who 'borrows' it doesn't have access to the vehicle's storage in any case, so they can hardly fill it up with items and then have it recalled.
    You don't need anyone else to fill it with good, you can do that yourself (see above).

I do know (as I've done this), that when I'm on Calypso, and I loan my ship to a friend, he can leave the planet, and the ship will de-spawn/be recalled to my storage on Calypso - however the person borrowing has only ever gone as far as the Calypso Space Station server area.
    I consider Calypso space area as "belonging to Calypso".

One of my soc members (Estar) just did one small test:
    First, he parked his quad in the FOMA hangar, then went mining in the domes waiting for the timer to expire. The vehicle de-spawned - not to FOMA storage, as might be expected - but to his carried inventory.
    He then spawned the ship again, and returned to the dome and this time recalled it using the action key. Despite the message that the vehicle would return 'to the planet storage', it actually returned to his carried inventory again.
    That's strange, a vehicle should never end up in carried inventory - nonetheless, the vehicle did not cross planet border when it was returned, so it's not what we're discussing here.

The entire debate ins moot though, iirc support aswered that logging of mid-flight on a mothership is considered no exploit (don't ask me for a link though, but it was posted on PCF, a simple search should do) - this is even easier to do and you don't have to "hurry" to be faster than the 10 min timeout.

Ah, see I'm looking at it from the viewpoint of 'if I lend my quad to someone, where is it likely to end up, (under all possible scenarios)', not from the viewpoint of testing an exploit.

You've said that it can end in another planet's storage:
    On top of that: It will very likely end up in the Arkadia storage when despawned (and not the Calypso storage) when someone uses your vehicle to fly from Calypso to Arkadia.
    That result would be a bit of a bummer if it's my only ship, and I'd have to travel to the other planet to get my hands on it again.

Incidentally, if you spawn a ship in space, 'recall to storage' recalls it to your inventory, not to any storage.

It was interesting to see that this applied even when the owner had entered FOMA, where there was storage available that it could have de-spawned to. I guess another thing to check would be the situation if I spawn a quad on a space station, then fly down to the planet in a different ship .. where the first ship would end up if recalled/de-spawned.

This might help establish if the de-spawn location is simply dependent on the spawn location - ie if you spawn a ship on a planet, it will always return to the storage on that planet, regardless of the owner's location; and if you spawn a ship in space it will always return to the owner's inventory.

Easy enough for your 'leave spawned ship on one planet, warp to another and recall' to be tested tho, if I can talk someone into trying it out

You see I suspect that it will actually return to the storage on the planet where it is spawned, not where the owner happens to be, or where the ship is when it reached the time limit.
    Last edited by Serica; 01-18-2012 at 23:01.

That a vehicle may return to the planet storage where it was spawned (and not where it was despawned) is an interesting point - but from a programmers point of view i think it would make no sense, as it would require to store the data where it was spawned somewhere, with no real benefit of doing so (plus it would definitely be exploitable this way)

However, MA coders have done very strange things in the past, so i wouldn't bet on it.

If you find someone who tests it please share the results here.

if you spawn a ship on a planet, it will always return to the storage on that planet, regardless of the owner's location
    then if you actualy took a trip to an other planet and desided to return it to storage when your on the other planet it would go to the planet you came from ... that would be worse then how it is now

That a vehicle may return to the planet storage where it was spawned (and not where it was despawned) is an interesting point - but from a programmers point of view i think it would make no sense, as it would require to store the data where it was spawned somewhere, with no real benefit of doing so (plus it would definitely be exploitable this way)

However, MA coders have done very strange things in the past, so i wouldn't bet on it.

If you find someone who tests it please share the results here.
    I don't see how it could be exploited this way:
    Person spawns vehicle, goes elsewhere leaving the vehicle spawned on the planet, vehicle is recalled and ends up in storage on the planet where it was spawned.
    Nothing in its storage would have moved from the planet, so no possibility of exploit.

The alternative is:
    Person spawns vehicle, goes elsewhere (ie to another planet via warpdrive ship) leaving the vehicle spawned on the planet, vehicle is recalled and ends up in storage on the planet where the owner is .
    That surely would be an exploit, as the items in its storage would have moved from one location to another bypassing lootable pvp. It would be very similar to the former situation where players would spawn a vehicle with items in storage on one space station, then fly to the next spacestation in a second ship within the 10min limit (using T at the server boundary to save time), then recall the first ship. MindArk prevented that by making it impossible to spawn ships that held items in storage while on a space station.

I'll certainly post any tests I do to confirm what actually happens tho.

Another soc mate (Butch), spawned a vehicle within FOMA tonight (on the race track). On recall, it went to FOMA storage.
    Compare this to the previous test done with vehicles spawned in the FOMA hangar, which de-spawned to the player's inventory.

I don't see how it could be exploited this way:
    Person spawns vehicle, goes elsewhere leaving the vehicle spawned on the planet, vehicle is recalled and ends up in storage on the planet where it was spawned.
    Nothing in its storage would have moved from the planet, so no possibility of exploit.
    My post was directed at that quote:

if you spawn a ship on a planet, it will always return to the storage on that planet, regardless of the owner's location
    Did you read my post at all? Is my english that bad?

You appear to misunderstand pretty much everything i have posted in this thread...

The alternative is:
    Person spawns vehicle, goes elsewhere (ie to another planet via warpdrive ship) leaving the vehicle spawned on the planet, vehicle is recalled and ends up in storage on the planet where the owner is .
    That surely would be an exploit, as the items in its storage would have moved from one location to another bypassing lootable pvp.
    That's what we've been discussing earlier, and until someone tests it i will keep thinking that this is not possible - altho the "despawn to carried inventory" thing on some locations could make this possible.

Did you read my post at all? Is my english that bad?

You appear to misunderstand pretty much everything i have posted in this thread...

Yes, I do read your posts - and (Australian) English is my native language.

Sometimes I find your responses to be potentially ambiguous .. so I take the time to spell out exactly the point I'm trying to make as clearly as I can, even if it means repeating what I've said before, or 'stating the obvious'.

As I've said earlier, I'm not trying to be nitpicky or start any personal fight here - I'm just trying to ensure we're both talking about the same thing in relation to the issue of exactly where a vehicle will de-spawn to, under all possible circumstances.
    I think its an interesting topic, and well worth examining, even if only so that if I let someone use my quad, I know exactly where it's going to end up.

I've been thinking it may be possible to partially test the planet <> planet issue between FOMA and Calypso, as iirc that's less than a 10min flight back by quad. CP would be even quicker, but there's nowhere that a vehicle can be spawned inside CP.
    The process would be to spawn a vehicle on the racetrack at FOMA (as Butch did last night), and then immediately fly back to Calypso. On arrival at Calypso, either recall all vehicles, or wait for it to time out .. perhaps both options could be tested on 2 separate trips.

It will have to wait til I'm back on Calypso though, as I've no spare vehicles here on Arkadia that I can test with on my way back.
    Last edited by Serica; 01-22-2012 at 21:42.

Old
    Well, yesterday, I ended up on a MS doing a warp trip to Calypso, didn't realize my quad was spawned on Ark. When I recalled my quad it ended up in my Arkadia Storage and I had to be upset since I don't even remember spawning my quad when I logged in that day. Then I had to ask a friend for a ride back to Ark so that I could do a rescue mission from Calypso. Hope this is some help in figuring out this little mystery of where the ship will go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast