Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hatchling

Advice to start mining

I have 100 PED and want to start gaining mining skills to see if I want to specialize in mining. I've read a few things on mining so I know that resources re-spawn in the area that they are found in and that to efficiently mine your next bomb should be 100-110 meters away. I was just wondering if there are any other basic tips one could share with me about mining as I am a complete noob and haven't even bought anything yet because I wasn't' sure if the rookie equipment was most effective for beginners.

Thanks for reading!

Draze
    --Draze Swift

2. Sponsored Links
    Hatchling
    For 20 PED you can buy 10 Rookie Finders and 390 probes, this will give you 130 double drops, just stack all your finds and repeat. Sell stacks on auction when they are up to 20 PED or more.

Young
    100 ped not much leeway for mining May be best on rookie I have never used. Could use the tt finder and just do ores (seem to have better MU) but may need more peds for low runs.

Use this software to track what you find and where www.mininglog.com/ Also has a map showing what resources are found and where.

Goodluck out there

Very good advice to find out where the resources are, that is how the miners do it.. aim for the ores and enmatters with highest MU will give you nice return.

Selling at auction when you got 20 isn't worth it.. find a good trader instead which gives you like -1%. the auction fee is at least 0.5 ped + you have to refine it.

Also I would recommend you drop bombs about every 60 meters, if you wanna cover a area.
    Raxxor

Mature
    Quote Originally Posted by raxxor View Post
    Also I would recommend you drop bombs about every 60 meters, if you wanna cover a area.
    Excuse me!!?!?!!

Ignore this, your initial assumption is correct, 100-110m is the proper distance. Overlapping your claims may get you the odd extra find but in the long run it will just reduce your hit-rate.

You cannot find a claim within an area you have already bombed until some time has passed (hours probably?). It's a little more comlicated than that because the finder stops searching when it hits something, but for now, just move 100-110m.

The finder has a range of about 55 meters(not on FOMA/HELL). You don't stay in the same area..you run from point A to point B. between those you drop bombs.
    Raxxor

Quote Originally Posted by raxxor View Post
    The finder has a range of about 55 meters(not on FOMA/HELL). You don't stay in the same area..you run from point A to point B. between those you drop bombs.
    Yep, but the 55m is a radius (distance centre to edge), so the total diameter (distance edge to edge) is 2 x 55, or 110m. This is why most miners will drop every 110m, so there's no overlap.

Some will drop every 100m (give or take), as that's easier to keep track of (just have to keep an eye on the coords above the radar). While there is a small overlap with this, I suspect it's a tradeoff between efficiency and convenience for these miners.

If you were to drop every 60m as you suggested earlier, you'd have a very large overlap (roughly 45%) between one drop and the next, and I think this would have a significant effect on find rates/total drops and thus returns.

On FOMA (and I presume HELL also), the range is reduced to 40% of the radius on planet (ie 22m radius).

**I'll let one of the maths guru's here work that out as an exact percentage, it's been far too long since high-school geometry classes
    Last edited by Serica; 03-05-2012 at 13:08.

If you are interested in a one month project of sponsored mining (rookie mining) to build your knowledge and confidence, pm me.

(I supply all your finders/probes etc... and you in turn give me everything you find for the length of the project)

I would like a rookie version follow up to the month I just tracked to see if it is repeatable on a smaller scale.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...c&pli=1#gid=0a

narfi

ah you meant like that.. I always when I find something, use the finder to go about 60 meters from the found and then drop a new probe. A little overlapping but I've actually found like 4 claims beaside each other.. so I don't worry to much about that.
    Raxxor

Quote Originally Posted by narfi View Post
    If you are interested in a one month project of sponsored mining (rookie mining) to build your knowledge and confidence, pm me.

(I supply all your finders/probes etc... and you in turn give me everything you find for the length of the project)

I would like a rookie version follow up to the month I just tracked to see if it is repeatable on a smaller scale.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...c&pli=1#gid=0a

narfi
    I have received a few pms about this even as old as it is, so just wanted to post and let people know that I am not doing this anymore. (mabye again in the future once my current activities have settled down some)

gl and have fun

narfi

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast