Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: wow...

Quote Originally Posted by Serica View Post
    Why on Earth should anyone have to resort to a 3rd party site (ie Google or other external search engine) to find basic information about a game that should be readily visible via a link on the game's official website?
    This.

You might also want to consider that for every new player who takes the time to find the game forum and post about something they found a barrier to starting, there are probably several hundred who just said 'bugger this' and went off to find another ('better') game.
    And this.

Seriously, if i wanna try a game, i expect it to install itself completely, to the point where i can use it with a single click.
    If it wants me to read a friggin manual to be able to even start it... i'm reaching for the uninstall button instantly.

A ready-to-use install, everything else is utter bullcrap, and only shows how little a company cares about their customers, and very likely the game is similarly customer unfriendly and why try it then...?

It sure looks like MA doesn't want any new customers, let alone their money...
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

2. Sponsored Links
    Young
    i'm responding to multiple posts at once....it's not because i hate any of you, i just hate writing a million posts...

Quote Originally Posted by Roni View Post
    Well, you're not givin any info on what system or OS you're runnin. Many pple installed it and use it without any problem. Like me.

So are you posting here to just rant or asking for help? If you are just posting to rant you will not get much attention. If you are asking for help you will discover this is a very helpfull community. But it will require some effort on your side too.

Regards, Roni
    I guess the main point of my initial post was to convey my utter shock, and dissatisfaction as someone just coming in. the site is not user friendly, the installer is broken...reading the site, and the way it's arranged, it just gives off this air of superior snobbishness...the lack of clear links to normal information, things like the system requirements, for instance. and even going to the mindarc site was no help. usually, when you go to a developer's main page, they would have a section devoted to their current projects, with a blurb on what it is, where to get it, and what the requirements are...not on the mindarc site...having to pull teeth to find the requirements says to me "if you hafta ask, you probably don't meet them, and probably can't afford to"

the mindarc site looks more like a corporate hedge fund firm's site, than a game developer. that, coupled with this game's notoriety for having the most expensive virtual items known to man, and one of the banners i saw for it, gives me the impression that's it's more or less a virtual playground for people with more money than sense...

now, i could be off base with my assessment, but that's just my impressions of it all based on my limited exposure.

as to my system:

win7 ultimate 64
    intel core2 duo @2.2ghz, 2mb L2, 800mhzFSB (upgrading to core2 quad @2.6ghz, 12mb L2, 1066mhzFSB in a few days )

4GB RAM

GeForce GT440-1GB GDDR5

onboard Audio (replacing with SB Audigy4 in a few days)

Quote Originally Posted by Skandis View Post
    Took me about 15 seconds to find the system requirements, just to see how hard it was.

Other than that you complain about some Visual C++ error, thus making this software the most broken PoS you've ever used.

Both statements just make you come off as really, really, really bad at handling your pc.
    it takes 15 seconds, if you know where to look.

the C++ problem has to do with the broken installer thinking that the current version is out of date, and then wanting to replace it with an older version. that's wrong.

I used to do IT support for a living, and i've been building, fixing, and modding PC's for 20 years...i think i MIGHT know what i'm doing....

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Alien View Post
    As for the side by side error you are correct that it is due to the C++. To fix this you can just uninstall the game and then reinstall. The C++ install should come up again and you can then install the one it gives you. Like others have mentioned, we need to know what OS you are running in order help you out some more.
    i tried that a couple of times, because i thought maybe the installer (or some component thereof) may have gotten corrupted in transit. i just doesn't work. i keeps trying to install it's own C++, can't do it, then nothing works right.

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Alien
    Now this isn't your normal MMO. This has a very steep learning curve. It takes time and patience. You don't level up like any other MMO. Your avatar won't be high skilled in matter of weeks, or months. It can take years to level up. This doesn't mean that you are stuck in low level zone, there are other ways to increase your skill level but require lots of time and dedication.
    that's all well and good, but when you can't even install the software properly, or get it to start, that throws up a red flag...installing a game should not be this hard.

After you get the launcher to work (past the side by side error) there is a lengthy download to the tune of several gigs. Depending on what planet you start on.

So after all this, if this sounds like something that intregues you, then your wait to enter the game will be well worth it. If not, give it a try anyway just to make sure it isn't the game for you. No harm done but trying it out.

Either way, welcome, and have fun.
    lol, i'd LOVE to give it a try.....but it's broken...

Quote Originally Posted by konve View Post
    I timed myself. Took about three minutes.
    awesome....

Quote Originally Posted by Sidxx View Post
    took me 10 seconds of loading up the launcher and glancing around to find the system requirements, and i haven't viewed the system requirements or really anything on the client loader since the day i installed entropia, 3 years ago.
    you do understand what you just said, and how stupid it sounded, right?

downloading the program to find out what it's requirements are, is like passing a bill to find out what's in it.

Ah, but he was looking for the system requirements BEFORE downloading. And quite rightly - I know I'd never consider downloading an unknown game before checking if my rig could handle it.

By 'on the front page' I take it he means on www.entropiauniverse.com, and indeed there is no obvious link to the game's system requirements there that I could see. Nor on the Download page, where one might also expect a direct link. Nor does the 'Search' field produce any meaningful result.

Luckily, I know that I need to burrow down thru the links thru 'Account & Support' > 'Support' > 'Technical Support' > 'System Requirements' to find this information.

Potential new players shouldn't be expected to have to dig around for this sort of basic info tho.
    GOD YES! finally, someone with some sense....

I agree that it should be very easy to find.. So this is what I did.. went to google.com.. typed technical specs for entropia universe.. it gave me the first listing as (entropia universe system requirements) then clicking on the link It asked me what planet I wanted to view.. I said Calypso.. It then sent me to the page where all the specs where listed..

It took me less then 4 secs to find and a million seconds less then it took me to reply here..

Now I know that most people who are new to the game will not likely go and search this, but I am also inclined to think, I would rather the new players did some research on their own, way before they even bothered to download it.
    Then they can decide to try it or not.
    i initially found out about this game from a wikipedia entry, it sounded interesting, so i figured i'd give it a shot.....the wikipedia entry lists specs, but as it turns out, they're the highest end specs...i thought when i saw it, it couldn't be right, but i was hard pressed to find actual specs on the game's site....

"research" should consist of going to the game's website, and reading the information contained therein, which should be complete, concise, and easy to access. a site like the main for entropia, or eve online, or star trek online, or world of warcraft, or any of the other gaggle of MMO's out there is more or less a sales pitch...it's showing you what their product has to offer, why it's better than the others, and why you should have it. in terms of giving you the information you need to decide if it's worth your time, the main entropia site is lacking...

This may weed out the possible regular MMO searchers and bring in only the curious, the people looking for a challenge rather then click click oh im uber now, and edit out the ones who can't take the time to even try it out for themselves..
    i usually avoid MMO's because typically, they suck....this game, on the face of it, looked interesting enough to be worth my time.

I love a challenge, but when i talk about a gaming challenge, i mean in terms of actual gameplay, not fighting with the software to install and actually work. the challenge should come in playing the game, not installing it.

Why on Earth should anyone have to resort to a 3rd party site (ie Google or other external search engine) to find basic information about a game that should be readily visible via a link on the game's official website?

And as for the rest of your response ..
    You might want to re-consider your attitude and try to see things from someone else's viewpoint.

You might also want to consider that for every new player who takes the time to find the game forum and post about something they found a barrier to starting, there are probably several hundred who just said 'bugger this' and went off to find another ('better') game.
    ..i think i'm in love....

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    This.

And this.

Seriously, if i wanna try a game, i expect it to install itself completely, to the point where i can use it with a single click.
    If it wants me to read a friggin manual to be able to even start it... i'm reaching for the uninstall button instantly.

A ready-to-use install, everything else is utter bullcrap, and only shows how little a company cares about their customers, and very likely the game is similarly customer unfriendly and why try it then...?

It sure looks like MA doesn't want any new customers, let alone their money...
    thank god, you get it too....thanks to you, and Serica, i'm willing to stick around, and see if anyone can help me out with this...people like you two are why i still play online games...
    Last edited by Numberyellow; 08-19-2012 at 06:23.

Never mind after reading more of the posts afterwards, I see im alone on this..

Im glad you are working on giving it a shot.. I will see what more I can do..

There was another way to fix the C++ error..

Go into your program and features and find C++ 2005 redistributable and remove it. Not the x64 one..!!

Then reinstall the game again and let it load the C++..

I hope this works for you, if not I will see what more I can do for you..

It is strange that you are having this problem.. I haven't seen it happen in a long time. I even just installed it on another computer just a few days ago with no problems..
    Last edited by Nor Alien; 08-19-2012 at 06:59.

Young
    Im glad you are working on giving it a shot.. I will see what more I can do..

There was another way to fix the C++ error..

Go into your program and features and find C++ 2005 redistributable and remove it. Not the x64 one..!!

Then reinstall the game again and let it load the C++..

I hope this works for you, if not I will see what more I can do for you..

It is strange that you are having this problem.. I haven't seen it happen in a long time. I even just installed it on another computer just a few days ago with no problems..
    I've never had a game give me issues about visual C++ before, it is pretty odd...thing is this...i JUST updated VIA windows update 4 days ago, my visual C++ is up tp date. if i remove it, won't i end up installing an older (and thus, less secure) version?

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Numberyellow View Post
    it takes 15 seconds, if you know where to look.

the C++ problem has to do with the broken installer thinking that the current version is out of date, and then wanting to replace it with an older version. that's wrong.
    The whole point of my "test" was that I had absolutely no idea what I was looking for. If I knew what I was looking for, it would've taken a split second. If it seriously took longer than that for you with a background in IT then I'm anything but envious of your employer.
    I used to do IT support for a living, and i've been building, fixing, and modding PC's for 20 years...i think i MIGHT know what i'm doing....
    Oh, you mean answering questions by looking at a sheet; and hobby experience of putting pieces together in clearly labelled holes? Yea, must be rough.

You can't find easily accessible information, you can't describe your problem and you can't make a thread without two pages of flames. Either you're lying or you're completely inept, not really sure what's worse.

I've never had a game give me issues about visual C++ before, it is pretty odd...thing is this...i JUST updated VIA windows update 4 days ago, my visual C++ is up tp date. if i remove it, won't i end up installing an older (and thus, less secure) version?
    No it is still a safe version but altered to let EU run on your computer.

This game is using the Cry 2 engine and it was never ment to be used for MMO's, so MindArk had to alter the engine alot in order to take advantage of the Cry 2 engines power.. By doing so, they had to tweak the redistributable in order to run it correctly. The 2005 version has what they needed so they chose to use that and also it is what they used in the older engine before they updated.

Alot of older games use older versions as it is what they had at that time. Even now, if you wanted to load an older game onto your computer, you would have to load the older version for it to work..

After some time installing and unistalling software on your computer, especially older software, your programs and features will have many different versions of C++ installed.. It doesn't mean you are vulnerable to security threats.
    Last edited by Nor Alien; 08-19-2012 at 08:44.

The whole point of my "test" was that I had absolutely no idea what I was looking for. If I knew what I was looking for, it would've taken a split second. If it seriously took longer than that for you with a background in IT then I'm anything but envious of your employer.

Oh, you mean answering questions by looking at a sheet; and hobby experience of putting pieces together in clearly labelled holes? Yea, must be rough.

You can't find easily accessible information, you can't describe your problem and you can't make a thread without two pages of flames. Either you're lying or you're completely inept, not really sure what's worse.
    Wow that's a bit more then was needed.. He simply was stating he couldn't understand why he was having this problem, while trying to install this game!! Not many games I have played myself where I had this problem either. Once or twice but I have been around the watering hole few times

Young
    riiiight, because having an IT background makes you an expert at navigating poorly designed websites.....

Oh, you mean answering questions by looking at a sheet
    You must have me confused with dell, or one of those other hack prefab companies...i was in-house hardware support for a large company.

hobby experience of putting pieces together in clearly labelled holes? Yea, must be rough.
    wrong again...try making sense of an IBM 8086 system...try building 286, 386, and 486 systems, back when there was no standardization between manufacturers, aside from form factor of the mainboard, i built a system with a pentium 75, before they were commercially available...hobby my ass. i've probably forgotten more about hardware over the last 20 years, than you currently know. don't presume to try and gauge my level of expertise, when you don't know a thing about me.

You can't find easily accessible information
    Easily accessible information? i finally found the system specs in the tech support section for the planet calypso site...that's FAR from being easily accessible on the main site...just saying, it's not where one would traditionally expect to find such information.

you can't describe your problem
    i described it just fine, if you can't understand english, that's your problem.

you can't make a thread without two pages of flames.
    what the hell are you on about? 2 pages of flames? i think you need to check your eyeglass prescription...

Either you're lying or you're completely inept, not really sure what's worse.
    I am by no means inept, and the fact that you would immediately resort to arguments that more or less boil down to "ur stupid", or "ur doing it wrong" tells me you are not really someone i wanna be dealing with. your attitude is poor, and i'd appreciate it if you'd not talk to me anymore.

riiiight, because having an IT background makes you an expert at navigating poorly designed websites.....

You must have me confused with dell, or one of those other hack prefab companies...i was in-house hardware support for a large company.

wrong again...try making sense of an IBM 8086 system...try building 286, 386, and 486 systems, back when there was no standardization between manufacturers, aside from form factor of the mainboard, i built a system with a pentium 75, before they were commercially available...hobby my ass. i've probably forgotten more about hardware over the last 20 years, than you currently know. don't presume to try and gauge my level of expertise, when you don't know a thing about me.

Easily accessible information? i finally found the system specs in the tech support section for the planet calypso site...that's FAR from being easily accessible on the main site...just saying, it's not where one would traditionally expect to find such information.

i described it just fine, if you can't understand english, that's your problem.

what the hell are you on about? 2 pages of flames? i think you need to check your eyeglass prescription...

I am by no means inept, and the fact that you would immediately resort to arguments that more or less boil down to "ur stupid", or "ur doing it wrong" tells me you are not really someone i wanna be dealing with. your attitude is poor, and i'd appreciate it if you'd not talk to me anymore.
    Ah the 286.. *sniff* brings back memories.. Ever play with the AT's and XT's?? Now that was a work of art.. lol

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast