Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 57

Thread: wow...

  1. #41
    Young
    Joined
    Aug 18 2012
    Posts
    15

    First impressions

    well, after playing for two or three hours, i can say this: It's not bad.

    That's not to say it's great either....it's kinda buggy...and ugly...

    The architecture is really something else. what i've seen so far is quite nice....pleasant to look at, well thought out, and well designed. CryEngine2 was a good choice, as it allows for truly wonderful views, and large maps, i imagine later on, sniping targets from insane distances would be quite satisfying...

    that said, the character, NPC, and creature models are really rather ugly...low res textures, oddly shaped human models, and skin tight clothing make for lackluster visuals on the human side....the creatures are shaped oddly, but they are alien creatures, so that's not an issue, but again, the low res textures kinda take away from the overall aesthetic quality.

    now, before i get a slew of flame posts saying "ur stupid", or "it looks fine to me, so u must be doing it wrong", or "it only looks bad because ur computer is shite, and ur an idiot", i'm playing on high settings, with 2X anti-aliasing on.

    bugs....only encountered one so far in-game, but it actually broke one of the tutorial quests...the mining tutorial...you're supposed to drop test bombs to scan for minable goodies....i dropped ALL (10) of my bombs, but it said i had only dropped 4...come to find out it counts the number of times you activate your scanning tool, not how many bombs you actually drop....and there were different settings on the tool, which was not explained, and it took me what felt like forever to figure out how to use the tool in conjunction with the bombs, as that wasn't clearly explained either.....as a result, i was unable to complete the quest, and there is no way to do it over..i get the gist of how to search or minables, but now i can't complete that quest...kinda sucks.

    Another thing that struck me as odd is they give you unrepairable weapons....so they break, can't be used anymore, which FORCES you to hafta buy new, which means you either hafta find some way to make PED, or add real money....and the weapons you get level, but the level doesn't stick for other identical weapons...it's very odd to me why it was done that way...

    As i said, it's not the best thing i've ever played, but it's not awful either...could look better, but if they haven't done anything with that since it's inception, they're probably not going to, so it's not worth it to complain too loudly....at any rate, i think i'll stick around, see what else there is to do...


    ...as a side note, i noticed someone changed my reputation to "inept"...is there any way to petition to have that removed?

  2. Sponsored Links
  3. #42
    Moderator
    Joined
    May 13 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    580
    Quote Originally Posted by Numberyellow View Post
    ...

    ...as a side note, i noticed someone changed my reputation to "inept"...is there any way to petition to have that removed?
    IIRC, the level names attached to the reputation points here on EF, match those for skill points ingame.

    So, for the full list of these, see Entropedia (the player-created & maintained wiki site for Entropia) here: Skill ranks.

    BTW, don't panic about not having completed a mission on Gateway - none of them are compulsory and will not affect anything you want to do ingame later. They're essentially just an opportunity to try things out.

    Back in the day (uh.. when I started in 2006 - and I'm far from the longest player here), we started ingame by arriving in a city, with nothing other than the clothes we had on. No tools, nothing .. and no special low-cost 'new player' gear either that we could buy, like you can now

    Hang out for a while, Entropia grows on you. It's not a game, it's a lifestyle

  4. #43
    Dominant Roni's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 02 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    429

    Smile

    Im happy to hear you made your first steps in Entropia!

    As for the graphics: you can tweak a lot in the options up to an insane level. Yes, the Cryengine2 is very good. It will never reach Crysis kind of detail as this is an online virtual universe. It wouldnt be playable at that level. Heck, even Crysis on ultra level detail is to much for most game rigs. As for the avatar looks: MindArk said there would be a complete avatar make over in the near future. As for some mob design, especially on Calypso: they might seem a bit od but remember that there is still content that has been built pre-Cryengine2 time. When you visit younger planets you will notice some differences in design. Personally I love the looks of planet Next Island and Cyrene...the dev teams really put a lot of energy in there.

    As for *gameplay*: it pays off to do a LOT of research. Both to improve your experience as to save you hard cash. I can strongly recommend *Alice guide to Entropia* (its freely available on the internet) and Entropedia which has a vast amount of information. Getting a mentor is a good way to learn the ropes and as a bonus when finishing your traineeship you will be rewarded with a fairly decent armorset and a jeep (although I think the jeep is ugly as hell).

    Cheers, Roni

  5. #44
    Dominant
    Joined
    Aug 09 2011
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Roni View Post
    As for the avatar looks: MindArk said there would be a complete avatar make over in the near future. As for some mob design, especially on Calypso: they might seem a bit od but remember that there is still content that has been built pre-Cryengine2 time. When you visit younger planets you will notice some differences in design. Personally I love the looks of planet Next Island and Cyrene...the dev teams really put a lot of energy in there.

    As for *gameplay*: it pays off to do a LOT of research. Both to improve your experience as to save you hard cash. I can strongly recommend *Alice guide to Entropia* (its freely available on the internet) and Entropedia which has a vast amount of information. Getting a mentor is a good way to learn the ropes and as a bonus when finishing your traineeship you will be rewarded with a fairly decent armorset and a jeep (although I think the jeep is ugly as hell).
    Words of wisdom. I second the idea of doing some research and getting a mentor. It's a big universe and takes a while to get a handle on why things are the way they are (such as L guns).

    About the avatar looks... Dave Dobson (from Arkadia Studios) said they were busily working on updating clothes to make sure they work with the new avatars. That makes me think the avatar update could be here very soon, not this update, but maybe the next. The next PP update is in two months, and there's the potential to have a platform update in a month, since they tend to stagger them (PP vs. MA updates).

  6. #45
    Old Alpha Nor Alien's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 02 2010
    Location
    Constant state of flux!!
    Posts
    856
    As others have mentioned, MA is in the stages of updating avatars, and other things. We will see new lighting and higher landsape details soon.

    Lik I mentioned earlier, Cry 2 wasn't ment to be used as a MMO, so MA is still learning the in's and out's of the engine. Also, they had to modify the engine alot in order to even get this far. Once they have had some more time, they will be able to show the real power of the engine.

    I have been around since 2006 as well and I can tell you, there have been alot of updates to graphics and ingame systems. Since they decided to go with Cry 2, they have been working on the systems, game play, and eye candy steadily. They have been coming faster and faster, so I have no doubt in my mind that we will see alot of eye candy and game play updates fairly soon.

    Lastly, the learning curve of this game is high. It will take some time, some help from others, and the pre mentioned guide. This is where the research will come in handy. But if you stick with it for about a week, you will get the hang of it fairly fast. By the end of the second week, you will understand most of the systems in place, then the real challenge will come. Learing how to survive in this universe. Thats the toughest challenge of them all!! Understanding what mobs will give you the best return and how to sell all looted items for a decent markup. Also this is a game that doesn't have an ending untill you decide on one.

    So good luck on your next few weeks, and remember these days. They will be your fondest as you will see things with new eyes and learn things that will both entice you to stay, and drive you to leave. Whether or not you take up the challenge and survive it is another story. That is the true adventure of Entropia Universe!

  7. #46
    Young
    Joined
    Aug 18 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Serica View Post
    IIRC, the level names attached to the reputation points here on EF, match those for skill points ingame.

    So, for the full list of these, see Entropedia (the player-created & maintained wiki site for Entropia) here: Skill ranks.

    BTW, don't panic about not having completed a mission on Gateway - none of them are compulsory and will not affect anything you want to do ingame later. They're essentially just an opportunity to try things out.

    Back in the day (uh.. when I started in 2006 - and I'm far from the longest player here), we started ingame by arriving in a city, with nothing other than the clothes we had on. No tools, nothing .. and no special low-cost 'new player' gear either that we could buy, like you can now

    Hang out for a while, Entropia grows on you. It's not a game, it's a lifestyle
    meh, i'm not pissed about it or anything, just slightly annoyed..i'm a completionist when it comes to games like this

  8. #47
    Dominant Roni's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 02 2012
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    429

    Entropia lore

    If you enjoy emerging in this universe I can recommend Entropia history by Florencio (Vikings of Calypso homepage). Stave Petty of Calypso Rescue Team wrote a very nice background story. Undoubtly there are more stories to find if you Google for it.

    MindArk and Planet Partners dont really supply a storyline. But here is a lot of player generated content. It gives an idea on the background of this universe. It explains e.g. the never ending wars with the robots.

    One of the great things of this universe is that you can participate in anyway you want. Either by chosing a profession and skilling in that profession or participating on a more social level. Entropia community has a couple of active streaming radiostations who do parties or create events. Some do interviews with dev teams or PP CEO's to share a dev teamline with the Entropia community.

    Im still pretty new here (getting close to 3 years which makes me still a big noob) but after I downloaded EU I never bought a game anymore. The universe itself is amazing, although we are a bit snarly at MA at times, but the community is just mindblowing. I never have seen such an helpfull and mature community before.

    Cheers, Roni

  9. #48
    Dominant
    Joined
    Aug 09 2011
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by Roni View Post
    If you enjoy emerging in this universe I can recommend Entropia history by Florencio (Vikings of Calypso homepage). Stave Petty of Calypso Rescue Team wrote a very nice background story. Undoubtly there are more stories to find if you Google for it.

    MindArk and Planet Partners dont really supply a storyline. But here is a lot of player generated content. It gives an idea on the background of this universe. It explains e.g. the never ending wars with the robots.
    Here's Arkadia's storyline:

    http://arkadiaforum.com/content.php?...dian-storyline

  10. #49
    Young
    Joined
    Aug 21 2012
    Posts
    13
    I can't install it either. I get a patch failed error, when I try. Then it starts over on same patch and fails again, etc, etc. (On Windows 7 x64)
    MA should really take this seriously imo, so I strongly agree:
    Quote Originally Posted by Serica View Post
    ...
    You might also want to consider that for every new player who takes the time to find the game forum and post about something they found a barrier to starting, there are probably several hundred who just said 'bugger this' and went off to find another ('better') game.
    I'll give it another go, some rainy day when I'm in the mood for some agony.
    Last edited by vedder; 08-21-2012 at 10:12.

  11. #50
    Young
    Joined
    Aug 18 2012
    Posts
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by vedder View Post
    I can't install it either. I get a patch failed error, when I try. Then it starts over on same patch and fails again, etc, etc. (On Windows 7 x64)
    MA should really take this seriously imo, so I strongly agree:


    I'll give it another go, some rainy day when I'm in the mood for some agony.
    i think to clear that, i either restarted, or reinstalled the program....i can't remember which...

    did u happen to get the c++ error during install?

 

 
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •