Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Space vehicles speed vs space size

As I see it the biggest problem with space right now is that its too small so they reduced the speed of vehicles in it. I have heard some talk about speed hacks but as im not planing on risking my account I plan not to even look it up. The 30% of landspeed and now the info on how mutch oil they use is not intuitive.
    I hope that ones space is larger they will give the MS/privateers better Sub Warp Drives(ie. higher speed) and then removing the 30% speed on vehicles.

2. Sponsored Links
    Guardian
    I take the view that in space the 'units' of distance are different, and not km. I did a check last weekend, and came to the conclusion that the units displayed with 'p' are in fact 1/1000 of an AU.

I measured (rather crudely) my quad speed as 31 (approx) AUs/hour.

Note that in our universe that light speed is a bit over 7 AUs/hr, so the rules in EU space are somewhat weird!

With a speed of 31 AUs/h the oil consumtion as its written would be almost 2.7 million peds ...
    With the Unit of distanse being 1/1000 AU the distance between the closest planets is 8AU and the longest being 32AU. If we say we are in the same solar system then this distances are way to large, if we are infact in diffrent systems then they are way to small. If you want it somewhat realistic as in this is a created solar system in witch most of the planets are in the same distance from the star but spread out around the star, then 1/10000 AU is more realistic. By this standard your quad reach bellow half the speed of light.
    But still the oil consumtion needs to be updated so that is shows what it is in space ...

Guardian
    If the figures for speed in space are different from those on a planet, then I would expect the figures for oil consumption would be different.

I didn't check the oil consumption in my tests, as I was actually trying to look into a different question. I normally reckon on 2PED oil from Caly to Ark, so you can calculate what that figure might be.

'Somewhat realistic' cannot, IMHO, be applied to space for a whole lot of reasons.

The distances given are of the order of a solar system, not interstellar. But look around - where is the sun for this system?
    In the EU universe Newton's first law seems to be selectively applied.
    Why do some planets not rotate when viewed from space, but when on the surface day and night happen?

I decided to ignore such things long ago, and just get on with the travel!

If the unit of distance in space is not 1m then yea it needs to say what the oil consumption is in space. I think they also said oil consumbtion would be modified when they said the where changeing the speed.
    About the realism if orbital modification could be done, all planets could be put on the same orbit time so the distances between wouldn't be changing constantly. Having day/night cycle just require spin in the direction towards the star. I say this should not be so difficult as the before mentioned orbital modifications.

Dominant
    The different planets are not meant to be in the same solar system. None of the planets' storylines support this idea. Each planet in space is merely a game "destination". The map is not set up to simulate real astronomical distances, but to arrange the planets "fairly" within the constraints of the 3D coordinate system that the servers use. Same thing with avatar and vehicle speed... it doesn't reflect anything real, it's just set to optimize game play: not too fast, not too slow.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Stockton View Post
    The different planets are not meant to be in the same solar system. None of the planets' storylines support this idea. Each planet in space is merely a game "destination". The map is not set up to simulate real astronomical distances, but to arrange the planets "fairly" within the constraints of the 3D coordinate system that the servers use. Same thing with avatar and vehicle speed... it doesn't reflect anything real, it's just set to optimize game play: not too fast, not too slow.
    Yep I think once space gets it's big update, it will have this in mind.. Just speculation, but it seems to make sense.

Interesting thread...

My view on realism: its NOT there. Its designed to make it feel real....but it fails on all accounts. Its not even close to reality...the design is closer to any space/sci fi movie. Here some points:

* as space is empty there are no atoms that can be moved: there is no sound!!! So as cool as it sounds to hear your engines rawr in 3th person view...in reality this will not happen (would be terribly dull though). One would only hear the engines when in first person view.

*explosions/gun fire are also without sound!

*one would only need thrusters to gain speed..as there is no friction in space the speed will not go down when the thrusters are shut down. Realistic would be: running your engine to reach a certain velocity, shut them down....and need reverse thrusters to slow down again. Most fuel would be burned leaving the planet (gravity anyone?)

Im not really savy on this topic, but someone mentioned that the lay out of space isnt very realistic either as space isnt a box but more like a spiral and the damn thing is moving too. So that could mean for example that traveling from Calypso to Next Island would take more time then returning. Im not even bringing up the issue of the way time is behaving in space.

But always fun having a discussion about this.

Regards, Roni

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Roni View Post
    Im not really savy on this topic, but someone mentioned that the lay out of space isnt very realistic either as space isnt a box but more like a spiral and the damn thing is moving too.
    One thing I'd miss from a "4D" perspective is wrapping around.

Let's say space isn't a cube with hard borders, but rather a big ball with planets locted in it equally - and that you could fly to let's say Next Island yo could do it by going at the opposite direction. And if you fly at a random distance long enough you get back where you started.

Just to confuse the brain a bit: Let's first say you introduce this kind of wrapping on a small planet, designed as an island. When you get to the shore/beach, you'll see a strait of water and kind of far away you'd see an island. You decide to swim there. The island you're leaving becomes smaller and smaller, and the island you're swimming to becomes larger and larger. (Well of course).

You step ashore, and start to walk through the forest. After 10 minutes of walking you start to hear the sound of waves again and see a beach. When you reach the water you would see your own footsteps in the sand.

Let's now imagine you have made a very small universe, let's say 10x10m. You are the only one there. In front of you, you'll see your own back 20m away. And at your sides you'll also see yourself! And also sligtly forward-left and forward right you also see yourself but another 30m away(*) Actually, everyway you look you'll see yourself at varying(**) distances (Well except if you look straight down - you'd see the small platform you're standing on to support your mass. And looking up you'd see ofc the other side of the platform.)

(*) (**) If you have designed your private universe as a cube room of course. If you designed it in a ball shape you'd see yourself at 20m at every direction.
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

I know its not realistic but that doesn't mean they can't try to make it somewhat so. In a realistic system propulsion systems can only reach things within a starsystem. To reach other stars would require warp or other FTL system. Now even if its not realistic I still hope that space will become larger. But my biggest problem is oil consumtion is not given for space, the given info is not what the consumption is in space.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast