Hatchling

Question A Profitable Profession?

Hello everyone, I am very new to the game (hence why I am posting in the noob's corner ) and I am wondering...how exactly does one earn a profit from something such as hunting or mining? I was looking to do hunting, and would be willing to try my hand at mining. I would be more willing to go with the one that is perceived as 'safer'. Now, up until this point, I was playing without a deposit, and so I played with my first bits of ammo and weaponry gotten from the tutorial. However, I quickly found that, after doing a bit of hunting in the starting area, that I was spending more ammunition than I was able to make back with looting creatures. I also tried to mine, but I only found a few deposits, and was not able to make back the money needed to spend on more probes. Now, this doesn't really surprise me, after all it cannot be too easy to make money in the game, what with it being converted to RL money. However, this is when I found out about Land Deeds, and so I deposited 50 dollars into the game w/ my debit card, and only then realized that there is a 50 dollar maximum, and a 100 minimum for bank deposits! Oh well I suppose, should have read closer, but bottom line is, I am going to deposit another 100 later this week so I can purchase a land deed, and I will probably have a few hundred PED left over. I am assuming that you can earn a profit hunting or mining when you have your skills up a bit more, and can hunt the bigger prey or go for the larger deposits....however, I just need to know, /is/ that how you do it? Can I grind my way up to the skills and use up a hundred ped in unprofitable things to get to a level where I am able to make a profit with mining or hunting? If so, what levels should I be working on, how much would it require to get to where I need to be, and what sorts of returns would I be able to expect?

Thanks to anyone who actually read all that, I am certainly looking forward to playing this game!

2. Sponsored Links
    Dominant
    You're thinking about profit wrong, I think. Very few (if anyone) ever makes a long term TT profit. By "TT" I mean the TT value of your expenses vs the TT value of the loot. Don't expect to profit by finding "big claims" or getting high loots off big mobs. MA has rigged the loot so that, every player loses TT-wise in the long run.

Yet quite a few players do profit long term. How? They profit by maximizing the markup (MU) of their loot.

So for hunters this would be hunting only mobs that have high average MU loots or drop rarer valuable items, so that MU is enough to cover their costs. Higher level hunters have an advantage here because more mobs are open to them and they pay less on defensive costs.

In terms of mining, higher levels allow you to use deeper finders. Again, what you're looking for here is higher than average MU of the ores. Shallow ores often have a low MU (though this is not always the case), so higher skills can give you an advantage.

This is NOT a game where you "skill up" to a certain level and then it's easy profit farming from there on out. Once you've maxed out your first set of tools, you'll be getting the same average TT return as experienced players, so you will be able to profit if you have the ped cushion and can find loot with a high enough average MU. This is not always easy.

So, play to maximize both the TT return and the MU of your loot and it's possible to profit.

Hatchling
    Ah, I see. Makes a fair bit of sense, all things considered. Thanks!

Provider
    As for the Calypso Land Deeds. If you deposited 50USD and will deposit another 100USD latter making 150USD then you will have (not including deposit fees) 1500PED. The deeds on auction (while they last) will cost 1150PED. Same as if you are able to buy from the MA official who they've setup in Twin Peaks during certain times. You will then get an average return of 4-5PED/week from the deed. That'll leave you with 350PED minus the deposit fee. With that PED I'd suggest that you first look into buying a flying vehicle (Sleipnir would be the cheapest and most useful). Sleipnirs cost about 36PED and as long as you stay away from pvp zones you will never have to buy another vehicle because while vehicles are Limited items and their TT can't be repaired, their TT is only damaged by mob and pvp attack and flying vehicles are immune to mobs. Also, may want to think about buying a vehicle repair tool and some welding wire so that you can repair the vehicle's Structual Integrity if needed. You may aquire SI damage through bumps in landing and hitting things. You can also attach a space thruster to a sleipnir which will get you into space, though space is a pvp zone.

$50 US is enough to start making profit.

Wait for someone to sell lysterium below 103%, and then resell it at 107% a few weeks later.

Reading an in-depth (no pun intended) tutorial on mining, and then buy the appropriate finder. When mining, you should assess:
    - is the area overmined?
    - at what depths is it overmined?
    - at what depths am I searching?
    - am I spacing out my probes?
    - is the lootpool beneficial?
    - am I spacing-out my probes?
    - at what time of day am I mining?
    - am I selling at market-price?
    - am I losing money to selling fees?
    - am I losing money to low mark-up on loots?
    - am I breaking-even on my mining runs?

If you can finish assessing that list each time you mine in a different area, then you should be set for your mining career. -Maple Maple Syrup

Actually; no 50$ is not enough to make a profit, unless you are really lucky at start.
    I'm talking about mining here.

In general, 100$ would be the minimum considering following facts:
    - unless you keep mining in a very restricted area, you'll have alot of small stacks of ore that you cannot profitabilly sell on auction
    - you will get a bad streak, everyone does, you'll get hofs too (unamped). But unless you have some peds to wait for those hofs you end up with no ped to mine, selling smaller stacks with less profit and it will bleed you dry
    - you will lose peds unless you know where to find MU ores, testing grounds will give you low MU ores and MU is key.
    - you will have trouble finding MU ores until you have maxed the tk120/tk220 series. Actually, on Calypso, you might need to have maxed the tk320 to have a reliable source of profit.
    reliable is 90%TT Return with average MU >112% on every 1000ped spend.

That being said, making profit is hard in EU, and you won't get rich. Unless you love mining, don't start. It's a "game", not a miracle money cow. Have fun here, if you want to make money, try real life instead.

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by Acronoid View Post
    - you will lose peds unless you know where to find MU ores, testing grounds will give you low MU ores and MU is key.
    - you will have trouble finding MU ores until you have maxed the tk120/tk220 series. Actually, on Calypso, you might need to have maxed the tk320 to have a reliable source of profit.
    On Calypso, maybe. On Arkadia, the shallow ores often have good MU.