Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Mature Bonewagon's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 21 2013
    Location
    Southern U.S.A.
    Posts
    46

    Get off my lawn!

    Like some of you, I played a lot of pen and paper rpgs back in the day. My sister and I played ORIGINAL Dungeons and Dragons with a few others before moving from the suburbs of Chicago to sem-rural Tennessee. After we got here, my sister went off to college, and I had no one really to game with. Finally, after a few years, word of mouth spread about a small group of people wanting to play something. I got in with them, and we had a blast. One of the older members was a contributor to the young Hero System, so that's what we played. We whiled away the hours, playing once or twice a week for years. As happens with time, our group went our separate ways. Later on, I moved to Oak Ridge, Tennessee, and found a new group of gamers to play with. We mostly played the World of Darkness or Exalted, but we put our heads together, and built our own game system and played that. Due to personal issues, I had to leave them behind and moved back to Chicago. I tried off and on to get into groups up there, but I was never quite comfortable with the people I met, and I ended up leaving it alone. Eventually, I moved back to Tennessee to be near my family, and haven't really attempted to find a new group to play with. I do dust off my own ancient tomes and read them, allowing them to transport me to the good times my friends had and the adventures we shared. Creeping down dark corridors, fighting ancient evils, and shaking fistfuls of multi-sided dice in the hopes of getting those magic numbers.

    While pen and paper games are still surviving, they are slowly being pushed aside by the advent of MMORPGs. I admit that I'm part of the problem. I suppose if I put in the effort, I could at least find a group of old school players that do it over Skype or something if I can't find anyone local, but it's so much easier to log in to a premade universe that you can access any time of day and play however you want, be it solo or in huge raid groups.

    I do miss those old days, though. You went by the rulebooks, but the adventures you went on were guided by the Game Master and shaped by the players. We used our imaginations much more, and had no limits to what our characters did or said.

    I mean no disrespect to EU or other MMOs. I just miss the old days sometimes. Now, get off my lawn!

  2. Sponsored Links
  3. #2
    Old Alpha
    Joined
    Nov 08 2010
    Posts
    732
    I haven't partaken of the ol school pen and paper rpgs for a while, but if you get in to palladiumbooks.com type books (rifts, heroes unlimited, etc.) they have a chatroom type of thing on their site where occassionally folks set up chat based games...

    other than that, maybe try larp maybe.

    Sadly, I used to spend a ton of cash on various rpg games back in the 1990s, lol. I have a couple of 3 foot wide shelves worth of books between all of the old world of darkness, palladium, and various odds and end stuff like some of the d&d spell books, indiana jones treasure book, etc. Too bad Entropia didn't exist back then... Might be a virtual millionare by now, lol.

  4. #3
    Mature Bonewagon's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 21 2013
    Location
    Southern U.S.A.
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
    I haven't partaken of the ol school pen and paper rpgs for a while, but if you get in to palladiumbooks.com type books (rifts, heroes unlimited, etc.) they have a chatroom type of thing on their site where occassionally folks set up chat based games...

    other than that, maybe try larp maybe.

    Sadly, I used to spend a ton of cash on various rpg games back in the 1990s, lol. I have a couple of 3 foot wide shelves worth of books between all of the old world of darkness, palladium, and various odds and end stuff like some of the d&d spell books, indiana jones treasure book, etc. Too bad Entropia didn't exist back then... Might be a virtual millionare by now, lol.
    I did try LARP'ing up in Chicago. I used to work in stage theater, so I thought I'd give it ago. The first time I went, there were about five other people, all pretty cool, and we had fun. I went the next week, and found out that the last session was an "off day." There were at least twenty people crammed into this little art gallery, and it was just a big mess. I ended up hanging out with girl on the edge of the group for awhile, and decided not to go back.

  5. #4
    Old Alpha
    Joined
    Nov 08 2010
    Posts
    732
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonewagon View Post
    I did try LARP'ing up in Chicago. I used to work in stage theater, so I thought I'd give it ago. The first time I went, there were about five other people, all pretty cool, and we had fun. I went the next week, and found out that the last session was an "off day." There were at least twenty people crammed into this little art gallery, and it was just a big mess. I ended up hanging out with girl on the edge of the group for awhile, and decided not to go back.
    Did you ever see that crazy thing in Chicago where they cram like 100 mini-plays that are all improv in to an hour timeslot or something like that. It's crazy stuff. BTW what part of stage theater are you in to? I never got in to it much after college, but in college stuck around long enough to grab a minor in theater.

  6. #5
    Mature Bonewagon's Avatar
    Joined
    Jan 21 2013
    Location
    Southern U.S.A.
    Posts
    46
    Quote Originally Posted by mastermesh View Post
    Did you ever see that crazy thing in Chicago where they cram like 100 mini-plays that are all improv in to an hour timeslot or something like that. It's crazy stuff. BTW what part of stage theater are you in to? I never got in to it much after college, but in college stuck around long enough to grab a minor in theater.
    I started working at a local theater in high school, and continued to do it for a few years after. I usually worked backstage, but occasionally they needed another warm body to fill out the cast and I had to go out. For example, because my long hair came down to the middle of my back, I was cast to be a Native American in our production of the Grapes of Wrath. Now, I'm of Irish descent, so I'm so pale that I'm almost translucent. I had to really cake on the
    Texas Dirt to pull that off.

  7. #6
    Mature Athena Novaland's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 24 2012
    Posts
    40
    Kitty is sorry, she just chased a few Chirpy onto your lawn.

    Kitty slowly walks back to yard-front and stares at Chirpy on lawn.

 

 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •