Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mature

Entropia on Linux?

Many game developers and PC Manufacturers are coming with pcs with Ubuntu and games for Linux now, will Mindark consider porting the client for linux in the near future?

Video about Ubuntu and their plan for the coming year.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpWHJ...ayer_embedded#!

Article from valve about porting steam and games for Linux.
    http://blogs.valvesoftware.com/linux/faster-zombies/

2. Sponsored Links
    Hatchling
    Is it not better that they get it working on Windows first ?

Beside that so are there several people who runs EU under Linux allready.
    I know I have seen some articles on PCF how they did it.

Mature
    Maybe it will be more stable on linux and maybe its time to port the client before alot of people ditch windows for ubuntu anyway, i think windows will become smaller and smaller from now on just like internet explorer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coachman View Post
    Is it not better that they get it working on Windows first ?

Beside that so are there several people who runs EU under Linux allready.
    I know I have seen some articles on PCF how they did it.

Old Alpha
    if windows stops being on any pc, it won't matter much since eu is on android now... well sort of.. at least auction and crafting are....

Yes, some have gotten it to work on linux but it's not super stable. It does require some direct x stuff being put on the linux install via WINE I think.

Unfortunately, the game engine itself is tied in to using direct x at the moment, so I don't see it being cross platform anyday soon.

Unfortunately, even though Linux use has taken off the last few years, the vast majority of computer users are still using Windows. As long as they keep using Windows in businesses worldwide, people running computers at home will likely keep using windows at home too since it's what they know how to use. Force a regular windows user to try doing anything in a terminal console window and they are going to think linux is way behind the the times since Dos hasn't been in windows much for years... They don't understand that under the surface windows is really just an advanced form of dos sort of as it's all just zeros and ones ultimately. They can't see past the magical matrix.

Old
    Arkadia, first tree to the left behind the Oro
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    Many game developers and PC Manufacturers are coming with pcs with Ubuntu and games for Linux now, will Mindark consider porting the client for linux in the near future?
    When, some years ago, MindArk decided to switch to a new engine, they went for the CryEngine (2) (Wikipedia link). This series of game engines is based on DirectX, and only recently added support for Consoles (with CE3), and a limited support of the mobile platforms (Android & iOS).

This decision heavily limits EU now, especially because the hardware requirements of the CryEngines are notorious, and it's therefore close to impossible to get CE2 based games running sufficiently with WINE or similar - it's hard enough for the average Joe to get 'em running on his off-the-shelf Wintel machine, even if not needing to care about compatibility layers, additional .dll's and such esoteric stuff.
    CryGames, since ever, was made to be a challenge for top-notch gamer machines. They started as a tech demo for Nvidia, and they never left the path to be 'The Benchmark for Gamers'. Read this, and shudder: This is the game engine provider chosen by MA ...

I cannot imagine a solution for MA here - another switch of the game engine (to an OpenGL based engine that supports much more platforms maybe) might be disastrous, a commercial suicide. Regarding the time and efforts it took to make the switch to CE2, as we all know ...
    So MA is now facing the wall, caught in their one-way street, surprised looking at the .45 hole in their foot.

What would be possible, IMHO, would be to add support/ upgrade to CE3 and bring EU to the consoles. Should be possible. But how would EU work w/o a keyboard?
    Or to help persuade Crytec (Wikipedia link) to add OpenGL support (= enabling Linux, OS X, and close to anything else). There might be a small chance (see here).

So not all hope is in vain. But regarding what I read recently from Crytec I'd not bet a single carrot. They may have other plans meanwhile (read this link, but don't forget, Cevat is a notorious bigmouth ...)...

But let's hope the best!

Hope I could help, have a good time!
    Last edited by Xandra; 03-25-2013 at 16:04. Reason: Typo ...

A bigger opportunity than Linux is waiting in the wings, the new Xbox and PS4 are based on an AMD x86 architecture with an AMD graphics chip.

The big issue would be patches, which with consoles are notoriously slow to get through Sony and MS checks compared to PC and that MS still insist on charging for playing online.

As Xandra mentions there are many different things needed to make Linux work for EU but giving EU a stable platform would mean MA would know what level of performance every one would get as they'd all have the same machine.

I've no doubt that Crytek are working on a CE4 for the new Xbox and PS4.

Usb keyboards and mice work on consoles they just need the games to support them. If I'm typing stuff in it's much easier to dig out a usb keyboard plug it in and type than try to use the crap on screen on.

But is EU willing to accept the maturity of player that the consoles would bring There are plenty of 12 year olds playing with an account registered as over 18 so that they can kill Nazi Zombies.

Didn't Crytek also say that Crysis 3 would be 3D only?
    Last edited by SpikeBlack; 02-11-2013 at 22:11.

Old
    Arkadia, first tree to the left behind the Oro
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeBlack View Post
    But is EU willing to accept the maturity of player that the consoles would bring
    MA opted for a platform company at the edge of supporting PC anymore (but as a performance test), with a strong desire to go to Consoles. EU will become console, sooner or later. However this might work.

Choosing CryTec was a first step away from the PC. IMHO.

And what we have now as gfx is still ridiculous. We can make high detailed avatars, but as soon as you see them moving in third person sight you think of Diablo II. And it was better, even if this long ago!

The only way MA can improve the game play now is following Crytecs moves. And they are aiming for the consoles, and for the cloud.

Dunno how this would add to the success of EU on the PC. But I'm no MBA.

Have fun!

There are no current plans to offer a Linux-compatible version of Entropia Universe.

Mature
    Sad to hear that, Entropia and Steam are the only reasons i use windows ans soon only reason is Entropia....

As the majority of computer users still use a PC with Windows and the architecture of the Cryengine2 heavily depends on DirectX I could understand that MA sticks to Windows.

Its all a matter of numbers. I figure the dev costs to make EU run on Linux and even Mac OS prolly not worth the gain in user numbers.

I shudder by the thought that Entropia will go console. I also think thats very unlikely. The hardware demands are a bit too high I think, unless MA decides that current *medium* settings will be the next *high/very high*. Hooking up a keyboard and a mouse to console type like a Xbox isnt a problem as the Xbox is basicly a pc. Even Sony's Playstation2 and newer have a USB port fort that. But MA will face a huge challenge porting it to the PS series as the architecture is completely different. But Im no MA employee and my crystal ball is broken.

Im a total PC gamer....the day that Halo announced to go Xbox first (after claiming for years it would be a pc exclusive) slightly pissed me off

Cheers Roni

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast