Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Old
    Arkadia, first tree to the left behind the Oro
    Hi,

Quote Originally Posted by Roni View Post
    Its all a matter of numbers. I figure the dev costs to make EU run on Linux and even Mac OS prolly not worth the gain in user numbers.
    It's all about the game engine. MA choose CryTec, and with this decision, back then, it was clear that Windows only was desired. With consoles, maybe.
    There had been other game engines, platform independent, offering similar eye candy. For by far less money, and by far less hardware requirements.

But MA went for the hype, and now has to pay the toll. Win-only, maybe consoles, too, but very likely no other OS. And even on average Wintel machines or consoles the game looks not this well, if it runs at all.

MA might admire the nice .45 hole in their foot. Congratz!

Have fun!

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjorn|MindArk View Post
    There are no current plans to offer a Linux-compatible version of Entropia Universe.
    While I can understand the reasons behind not porting to another OS (cost & maintenance); it is also worth realising that porting to linux is a very feasible way of reaching a new player base.
    I'm pretty sure there is a large audience among the linux users that like to try EU. While linux players are not "gamers" in the strict sence; neither is EU a game in the strict sence. I personally think that EU and linux share something in common.

Mature
    This is about Cryengine 3 but it seams like crytek is thinking of supporting Linux and Mac.

http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/11/c...-to-linux.html

Quote Originally Posted by toad View Post
    This is about Cryengine 3 but it seams like crytek is thinking of supporting Linux and Mac.

Interesting; if not for EU; cryengine on linux would bring some ported games

Hatchling

When Crytek gets around to supporting Linux then I bet Mindark will want to start thinking about a Linux port. Its now a question of when not if. When depends on how long it takes the suits at Mindark to notice the writting on the preverbial wall. Of course they could be pulling a Valve. Valve insited for years that they wern't working on a Linux port of Steam, then about one month before Launching Steam for Linux beta, they suddenly drop a bomb shell on the PC gamming industry!

I think the problem will not so much lay in the fact that MA doesn't want to support linux; the problem may lay in the fact that their development team is too small to handle two clients. making a port is one thing; but porting is quite buggy. And I just think MA can't spend the resources to do it atm.

Mature
    Not sure exactly what SteamOS will be but seams many game developers is going the Linux way together with Valve in the future...

Old
    Hi,

Not sure exactly what SteamOS will be but seams many game developers is going the Linux way together with Valve in the future...
    Again, when MA made the choice for CE2 it was the choice for Win-only! To be able to even think of other OS-clients they'd need to port the whole game to another game engine.

As you can see here all CryEngines are for Win, consoles and phones only. No MacOS support, no Linux support.

So, as long as CryTek concentrates on DirectX, consoles and phones only there's no way to just "upgrade" EU. Another game engine would be required to port EU, and we have seen what a hassle this is for MA.

Nevertheless, it might be a good move, even if a heavy toll would have to be payed. CryEngine has proved in EU what it really is: A most expensive resource-hog, useful for benchmarking only, and to grab a lot of money from not-so-smart game companies.

With all the work spent into it during the recent years we still have ridiculously poor animations, constant crashes, and graphics not by far equivalent to the resources used. Time to switch again?

Have fun!
    Storage space is still limited to 500 items
    (with an exploded item count throughout the universe),
    and my nice Cognac Coat is still bugged -
    will we ever get an VU solving the really important problems?

Old
    Hi,

when?

Do you think it's this easy to port a fully DirectX dependent game engine to OpenGL (or whatever)?

Guess we can calmly wait until CryTec announces it, then wait a few more years until release, and then wait nearly half a decade more until MA is able to finish the port of EU. To an then already outdated engine, again.

Given that not MA neither CryTec went haywire meanwhile.

I'd not bet a single piece of common dung that this will ever happen.

Have fun!
    Storage space is still limited to 500 items
    (with an exploded item count throughout the universe),
    and my nice Cognac Coat is still bugged -
    will we ever get an VU solving the really important problems?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast