power catalist mining? & low drop rates

I unlocked power catalist mining
    I get serendipity and a power catalist skillgain & lvl 15 in elektro hit dmg?
    Don't you normally unlock a skill if you do the relevant proffesion?

also claimrate is alarming low this run 1 hit on 16 bombs on amathera.

Is this a bug?

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Acronoid View Post
    I unlocked power catalist mining
    I get serendipity and a power catalist skillgain & lvl 15 in elektro hit dmg?
    Don't you normally unlock a skill if you do the relevant proffesion?

Is this a bug?
    Sounds like the serendipity gain was enough to trip you over the line to Lvl 15 Electrokinetic. Power catalyst unlocks at lvl 15 in any mindforce profession.

It's no longer necessary to get the gain in the relevant profession like it once was. That changed a good while back (don't recall the exact vu, sorry).

My last mining run had a hit rate of 14.71% (and tt return of 34.62% ), last night on Amethera. But my average hit rate is 29.13% over the past 6mths, and a couple of days ago I had a run with a hit rate near 40%, so I think last night was just one on the low side of the 'loot curve'.
    (I'm keeping fairly detailed records for falkao to analyse over on pcf. He has a thread in the mining forum there, if you're interested)

Thanks; I almost never get a skill unlock these days; let alone one doing something else.

And mining is strange; normally my tt return is 100%+ in the new system. (yeah, I know hard to believe). Last run was stil ~56% return, with a very bad start.
    Normally I don't panic that fast; but the skill unlock blew me off

In the end the mining evens out much faster than in the old system; but I still never got a tower. My max loot was an unamped 2k something planetside.
    So I guess unless they change it again I won't get a tower ever, unless I amp it up on the astroid.

Strange thing is, I find a bizarre number of VIII claims; and I can't recall finding a IX any more. I do get the odd XI claim; but mostly V claims. some IV and III but fewer than I used too.

While normally unamped ore you never get a VIII claim; a VII and a IX were relatively common. I'm still figuring out how they changed the loot multipliers; but I'm getting quite a good idea so far.

Regards
    Acronoid

Dominant
    You need to drop a lot more bombs to be able to determine your hit rate. 1 hit out of 16 is nothing out of the ordinary.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Stockton View Post
    You need to drop a lot more bombs to be able to determine your hit rate. 1 hit out of 16 is nothing out of the ordinary.
    How about 3 claims with an lvl8 amp; and 4 with a lvl7. I stopped after that; not only did I lose a sh*tload; but I'm quite certain that (besides) the MU; amping actually gives a lower avg return now than unamped.

Would need to do a extensive research to tell anything for sure; but my gut says; I'dd should leave mining for a few weeks. I'll go trade a bit instead.
    It will al go back to normal; the key is to know when to stop.

Is this a bug?
    Not a bug: a "feature"

Some time ago they changed planetside mining to be just like FOMA. And forget about number of drops. Doesn't change in the long run.

I just hope that someone up there can make something to change this.

Dominant
    Quote Originally Posted by antonioliveira View Post
    Some time ago they changed planetside mining to be just like FOMA. And forget about number of drops. Doesn't change in the long run.
    Not sure where you're getting your info, but this isn't the case. Foma and hell (and the moon) have low radius, low hit rate, high claim values that are not present on any planet.

Plenty of people get low hit rates, especially in areas where there are only a few ores. If you're having trouble with low hit rates, I recommend mining arkadia. You'll get many more stacks than on Caly or RT but you'll also get a higher TT return. My hit rates on Hell are ~ 3-5%, on RT and Caly 18-22%, on Ark ~ 28%.

While amping does "feel" like you're lowering your hit rate, I think a lot of times you're really getting the same hit rate as unamped, it just "hurts" more because you're spending more per drop. If you're really getting lower hit rates with amps (over hundreds of drops), it's probably for one of two reasons: you're not skilled enough to use the amp efficiently or you're mining in an area where an ore is actively being throttled because of rarity.
    Last edited by Neil Stockton; 04-01-2013 at 11:38.