Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Social game?

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Alien View Post
    The best way to get to know Stagger better is to fly in space with as much lootables as possible.. JK But I agree with what you said.
    But very true.
    Mrs. Roni RL Jan 21, 2014
    Started EU 11-02-2011

2. Sponsored Links
    Hatchling
    3rd day of long gameplays as Im trying out EU and all time wondering - social game? It brought me here once mentioned in reviews... So far, i have seen more social community/gameplay in MMO games as shooters, RPGs etc than here. Even trouble to find simple chat with someone - everyones seem just inactive, bussy with trading snobs. lol, social game wouldnt have topic named "n00bs corner" <- very inspiring when so much to study needed for this game.
    For my surprise even each single Event - is based for trading, hunting, mining.

Im stuck - i really cant see much enjoyment in here. I really did enjoy environment EU has here since im huge fan of ScyFi, but thats it - following missions made me see same places, shoot same animals over and over and over.
    So far was making bit of progress - selling loot, buying ammo to keep doing same thing over - but where is a point? Luckily havent made deposits, though was to try out sweating methods, but wasnt doing that either - loots for now gets me ammo. I know i have opportunity to get better guns, armor once i made deposits - but for my eyes its just same boring missions done in less time.

Seem EU is driven by people only who plays by idea to make money with a game, same impression made and these forums once watching new posts feed - and its kinda depressing ^^

Open my eyes please - or EU is really such thing, cause my hand doesnt want press Launch button anymore Thanks for input.

Old

Cool Social Content in EU...

Quote Originally Posted by Leemon View Post
    3rd day of long gameplays as Im trying out EU and all time wondering - social game? It brought me here once mentioned in reviews... So far, i have seen more social community/gameplay in MMO games as shooters, RPGs etc than here. Even trouble to find simple chat with someone - everyones seem just inactive, bussy with trading snobs. lol, social game wouldnt have topic named "n00bs corner" <- very inspiring when so much to study needed for this game.
    For my surprise even each single Event - is based for trading, hunting, mining.

Im stuck - i really cant see much enjoyment in here. I really did enjoy environment EU has here since im huge fan of ScyFi, but thats it - following missions made me see same places, shoot same animals over and over and over.
    So far was making bit of progress - selling loot, buying ammo to keep doing same thing over - but where is a point? Luckily havent made deposits, though was to try out sweating methods, but wasnt doing that either - loots for now gets me ammo. I know i have opportunity to get better guns, armor once i made deposits - but for my eyes its just same boring missions done in less time.

Seem EU is driven by people only who plays by idea to make money with a game, same impression made and these forums once watching new posts feed - and its kinda depressing ^^

Open my eyes please - or EU is really such thing, cause my hand doesnt want press Launch button anymore Thanks for input.
    ... is dependent on YOU, the player.

This is an advanced concept, and the reason that it seems there is very little social interaction in EU for new players is that almost all social exchanges require some form of return (ie, a reward or payment somewhere) in order to retain interest for both parties.

So, for example: in original poster's suggested ideas of "running as a courier", or "dancing for PEDs", there was an exchange for a service.

Now personally, I don't see that as "social interaction" really - that's a business interaction. However, before I move on from this: the specific reason new players will NOT get a lot of approach for a serious business proposition is that this game works with real money... and until you have a decent reputation or solid background in EU, people will neither know, nor trust you, with their money in most cases.

But I wanted to try to answer your other, more mature question about ACTUAL SOCIAL CONTENT in Entropia here instead as well.

And as I've summed it up: this comes down to you.

Social in Entropia usually comes down to inter-personal relations with other players. There is very little roleplaying, since because you can only have one avatar, and because there is a heavy emphasis on building up real-world trust relationships, most people conduct their EU as "business" rather than as a casual game-type occupation.

Another way of saying the same thing: over time, many of the roleplaying-interested people tend to give up or leave and the average player remaining is a busy, steady grinder with little time for social interaction other than in a teaming scenario with like-minded people trying to advance the same goals.

Historically, quests and storyline development have been a weak component of Entropia as well - we have only very, very recently had the first seeds of solid storyline installed in the form of quests with actual path choices between say corporations of interest.

HOWEVER, these features are coming online now slowly, and Arkadia is a very good choice for planets when it comes to storyline development. So there is scope for a change in the way things are done in the future.

At the moment however, if you want to indulge in some RP, or you'd like to explore other purely social options in EU, you are probably best served by the DIY approach.

- Search for, or more likely FOUND a Society that has RP as perhaps it's main core attribute.
    - Find like minded players, probably by advertising on forums, and try to gather them together in game or have them on your friend's list so you can chat that way even if you're not on the same planets.
    - Build the (social) environment you want for yourself

If you start a sub-culture, I'm pretty sure that the planet you are on will notice your efforts over time and you will be appreciated.

Good luck out there.

Dominant
    Cly is right. It may be helpful to think of EU not as a game but as a virtual universe. I would say there isn't really "role-play", because you don't "pretend" to do stuff here... you actually DO it! The interactions that come out of what you do make up the social aspect of the game. For instance, Stagger who posted above is a space pirate... he's not role-playing a pirate, he really IS a pirate (in the game). If it were just role-play then he could say "I'm not a pirate anymore" and other players would treat him like any other player... but they wouldn't, because reputation in the game is permanent and it isn't applied to your avatar, but to you... to the person behind the avatar. If you want to be a space explorer, you don't pretend to be one, you actually go and do it (I have a 200 ped reward offered for the location of a Hermit spawn btw). While I don't think there is RP in the game, it does cause some dissonance when people start chatting in game about football teams or other RL stuff. So regardless of what you call it, respect the immersion of the game

It's true that hunting, mining, and crafting are the workhorse activities of the universe, but there's much more too. I think you can get as much social content as you could wish for... as Cly said, you just have to choose to do it and find a way to connect with people who like to do the same things as you (EU, in many ways, is similar to RL). Even looking at hunting, mining, and crafting, which you would think of as solitary activities, don't have to be. You could join a soc that does frequent team hunts, you could join a mining company (well, there is a least one of these ), and I'm sure you could find a way to craft that involves other people as well. It wouldn't be too hard to chat and interact with people 24 hours a day if that was your goal.

There are unlimited ways to connect with players. Just as an example, when space opened up, I was still a new player and didn't know many players. I started offering flights between planets and over the next months met probably hundreds of players that way. After all... you're stuck in a quad for 30-40 minutes at a time, nothing to do but fly and chat.
    Last edited by Neil Stockton; 08-07-2013 at 13:53.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12