Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hatchling

Unhappy Worked at first, now always crashing

Hello everyone,

First let me say that I'm amazed I didn't hear of this game years ago, it looks really sweet. I have come upon this game only a few days ago, and really hoped it would work better than it did.

Let me explain what has happened so far.

First round I installed the game & logged in, no problems.. ran around the station and chatted abit.. Then decided to customize my avatar, and here is where things go bad. I was about 1/4 finished creating my avatar and then... "Entropia Universe did not shutdown normally" .. and the error reads:

OS WIN XP
    Memory 3328
    Graphics adapter ati radeon hd 4800
    graphics adapter driver 6.14.10.7267
    exception address 2088841171
    version 14.1.3.108300

I took out the = and a few of the redundant words as you can tell, but this is the main info the error gives me.

Every time I actually get into the avatar editor it seems to work fine for awhile, then all of the sudden it crashes. Sometimes I cant even open the editor as it just fades back to the station view (then wont let me move, and it crashes shortly thereafter)..

I have found that I get the same error when just walking around in the newbie station area for too long.

Things ive tried:

Updated windows drivers, updated graphics driver (tried official release & beta), updated java, updated Microsoft c++, checked directx version

> Tried to disable all cpu cores except 1 or 2, close task manager, and run in windowed as some suggested.. still crashes

> Tried uninstall and fresh install... and when I did this it wiped the hard drive I uninstalled it from.. WTF is that? When I installed I didn't pick a folder name, just the top level directory.. It didn't create one so it went in the top level.. And on uninstall it wiped everything in my drive. Thankfully nothing too important and it was a non-OS drive(I will be coming back to this issue later)

I have read alot of the posts with the "...did not shutdown normally" error, however none of them helped (unless I missed one somewhere)

Now for the specs of the computer:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 (Quad Core)
    Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series
    RAM: 4gb (3.5 available on windows 32 bit)
    MB: On request (don't remember offhand)
    Other: on request

NOTE: when the game is actually running, it is smooth and works very well. Even the times I've been in the avatar creator (before it crashes) it runs smooth and quite nicely

dxdiag & other info on request

Please can someone help? I'd really love to try this game, it looks amazing. But I cant even get past the newbie station

More details to come if I remember something.

Thank you!

2. Sponsored Links
    Hatchling

Unhappy Updates

Several updates

Been messing with the turn this core off and this one on thing as suggested again. I am now able to keep the game running for a short period of time before crash. It always crashes, but not right away

Also I think I figured out why it wiped the files on my other hard drive.

And since its still crashing, time to flash the bios and see if that helps I guess.

Old
    try turning off sound and streaming sound in the client loader options first...worth a shot before flashing BIOS

You shouldn't try to fix things at your end (and maybe break something in the process), at least not anything else than updating gfx card drivers and maybe directx - EU is bananaware and this will hardly ever change.

That means for you:
    1. File a support ticket
    2. Wait at least 2 VUs
    3. retry, if it still isn't fixed, go to step 1
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Hatchling
    Wait at least 2 VU? What does that mean?

And I will try that, actually checking into something else before I flash the bios. CPU temp may be getting too hot and causing issues. That would explain game crashes, but not why the launcher randomly shuts down and stops downloading.

Got into a cave before it crashed last time, looks really fun :P Must fix, must play.

Two other drivers to update if you haven't already are the MB, and the sound. If this does not work, try going into the client loader and disable the sound, as suggested already.

Additional info needed is the power supply type and wattage. If your power supply isn't very high it could lead to this kind of hanging.

More info on power supplies: if your power supply says it is a 450 watt, what this really means is that the max power output is about 450 watts, but for only short amounts of time. (No more then 5 mins) If you continually run your computer at very close to max power, you can severely shorten its life span. Sometimes even reduced to two weeks. Usually these power supplies at 450 watts should never be used above 350 watts. Better quality brand ones can be run at a bit higher.

The only reason I am suggesting the power supply is that EU isn't all that power friendly. One reason being, they are forcing a game engine normally meant to run at direct X 10, to run at direct X9. Direct X 9 isn't very good with newer hardware as it wasn't designed to run the hardware (ie graphics card) at its full potential causing them to increase the power to the device in order to run at higher fps in order to handle the graphics load. This is where the power supply comes in play.

One other thing to try, since you are using a 32 OS: http://www.entropiaplanets.com/threa...55/#post-42506
    And here : http://www.realitymod.com/forum/f27-...e-2gb-ram.html

Since you have 4 gigs installed I would use the value of 3072.

Just a side note, if you don't do this correctly, it can lead to a re-install of windows, or run in safe mode and undo what you did.

Long ass post for something that may just be a hardware/driver issue sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by zvn4 View Post
    Wait at least 2 VU? What does that mean?
    VU = Version Update = Patch = Bugfix...

Quote Originally Posted by zvn4 View Post
    CPU temp may be getting too hot and causing issues.
    There is one distinct symptom when your CPU is getting too hot:
    You computer shuts down without a warning.
    Completely.
    Like in "power off".

This will never, NEVER only cause an app to hang or crash.

And it doesn't sound like you have problems with your power supply either:
    If you crash ONLY on certain actions/in certain places (which means the error is somewhat reproduceable), it is a CODE or DRIVER problem.

Power supply issues cause random errors, mostly showing artifacts or otherwise odd graphics.

What you can do (if you haven't tried this already) is setting your graphics to safe mode (or very low) and check if you still crash - i know, it is hardly a good advice to create your avatars appearance with "ugly mode" graphic settings, but at least it might help finding the problem.

It is very well possible that the avatar creation (which was never really stable as far as i remember, and that's over 6 years meanwhile, but i digress...) is the culprit and the rest of the game will work fine - so getting behind that "roadblock" in safe mode might be at least an option to get you going.

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    VU = Version Update = Patch = Bugfix...

There is one distinct symptom when your CPU is getting too hot:
    You computer shuts down without a warning.
    Completely.
    Like in "power off".

This will never, NEVER only cause an app to hang or crash.

And it doesn't sound like you have problems with your power supply either:
    If you crash ONLY on certain actions/in certain places (which means the error is somewhat reproduceable), it is a CODE or DRIVER problem.

Power supply issues cause random errors, mostly showing artifacts or otherwise odd graphics.

What you can do (if you haven't tried this already) is setting your graphics to safe mode (or very low) and check if you still crash - i know, it is hardly a good advice to create your avatars appearance with "ugly mode" graphic settings, but at least it might help finding the problem.

It is very well possible that the avatar creation (which was never really stable as far as i remember, and that's over 6 years meanwhile, but i digress...) is the culprit and the rest of the game will work fine - so getting behind that "roadblock" in safe mode might be at least an option to get you going.
    Actually power supply problems do cause these and many more things. It can run at max power for only a short time, but then has to power down leaving the computer to run without enough power. This will cause the computer to hang, cause artifacts, like you mentioned, and whole list of other things. Most times it only happens when the computer is running for a short time or when some hardware, such as graphics cards, need more power for processing heavier loads. Thus can be reproducible. Fixed many a computer because of this, and most times it was due to this. You are correct that it can cause random errors as well.

Anyway yes there are a lot of problems with the coding, and lot is due to the direct X used. Either way, it is something to look at as way to eliminate culprits one by one to just one. Hopefully a driver error.

Also your correct about the cpu. To add to this, if one thing is running too hot, this usually means there is other hardware that potentially is running too hot as well. I would check your GPU's temp as this could be your problem as well.

All in all, it could just be a simple driver error. I used to run a 4870 X2 and the only way I could get it to run correctly in EU was to use an older driver. I eventually went to a 7970 due to the fact they stopped supporting the 4800 and older series of cards...

Quote Originally Posted by Nor Alien View Post
    Actually power supply problems do cause these and many more things. It can run at max power for only a short time, but then has to power down leaving the computer to run without enough power. This will cause the computer to hang, cause artifacts, like you mentioned, and whole list of other things. Most times it only happens when the computer is running for a short time or when some hardware, such as graphics cards, need more power for processing heavier loads. Thus can be reproducible.
    "Insufficient PSU" is the new black amongst gamers - blaming them is hardly better than voodoo in most cases.

Yes, there are extreme cases where the power supply is undersized, and it can cause a system to produce all kinds of random shit, but seriously, it is very, very rarely the culprit.
    In most cases, the computer simply shuts down or stalls/shows BSOD - it never, NEVER crashes a SINGLE APP only, every time you try - low power affects the entire system, and it is very unlikely that every single time only one (and always the same) process is affected.

Unless he has built his computer on his own (or upgraded his gfx card to one of these high end power hungry monsters), i seriously doubt that this is the case here. Most run-off-the-mill computers have sufficiently large PSUs, with plenty of power reserves.

But, to not let this topic slip away into a nerd debate, let's just gather some hints instead what the thread starter could do about it (or at least to provide enough info to narrow down the source of error).

One thing that should fix power (and also mysterious heat problems) is to run EU on very low gfx settings (preferable lower the screen resolution, too.

Then, what every computer owner should do once in a while: Take a vacuum cleaner and clear all the air intakes on your computer - if it's older, you might want to open the case and free the insides from dust, too (unplug power first!) - this should also help fixing heat related problems.

And last but not least: Unplugging EVERY hardware that is not needed (all USB devices in the first place, especially those with no own power cord! And yes, i am talking about keyboard and that fancy mouse with extra lights, too, along with usb cams and printers and hubs, even if not in use! - you only need a simple mouse for testing after login) should help fixing power related issues, too.
    You could take it one step further and disable unneeded internal hardware in the system configuration, but i think this is not necessary here.

If none of these steps fixes it, it is very likely neither heat nor power related.

Oh, and the "disable sound" advice is worth a shot in any case, too, especially under XP iirc.
    Last edited by wizzszz; 06-04-2013 at 02:32.

LOL it will most likely be the sound in the end!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast