Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Young

Travelling Space Efficiently Questions: VTOL vs Quad

I have some questions about using a VTOL versus a Quad in space. First off, on Calypso, what is the average buy now price of a thruster? What is the difference in fuel consumption with the thruster attached? How effective is combat in both vehicles? How many weapon hard-points does each vehicle have?

2. Sponsored Links
    Guardian
    Quote Originally Posted by Veripare Star View Post
    I have some questions about using a VTOL versus a Quad in space. First off, on Calypso, what is the average buy now price of a thruster? What is the difference in fuel consumption with the thruster attached? How effective is combat in both vehicles? How many weapon hard-points does each vehicle have?
    Thruster prices can be found in the auction.

Thrusters do not affect the fuel consumption. They are only used when leaving or arriving at a planet, and each use costs 10pec

Thrusters are not used, and do not affect anything, while travelling through space.

Sleipnirs/VTOLS are not much use in combat - they are outclassed in speed by quads.

Young
    Thanks for your reply. If I invest in a thruster for my VTOL, could I remove it and attach it to a quad when I can buy one?

Guardian
    Yes - thrusters can be attached and detached at will. You have to be able to detach them when they get used up!

Young
    Alrighty! Thanks for answering my dumb questions xD I have some interest in becoming a pilot in EU in the future so I am just trying to learn as much as I can to make the best investments. Some people in my soc explained to me that their VTOLs have lasted for several years when I said that I was wary of it accidentally blowing up somehow. As far as a quad's defense stats are concerned, if I was being pursued by another quad in space, (without taking into account my attacker's skills) what is your best estimate for how long that I could tank the damage to escape? Last, I assume that with 3 open attachment on the quad so that you can equip two lasers and the thruster; Can you please suggest the most eco choices of lasers for a newbie-lowbie to buy?

Guardian
    As far as a quad's defense stats are concerned, if I was being pursued by another quad in space, (without taking into account my attacker's skills) what is your best estimate for how long that I could tank the damage to escape?
    Based on my own experiences - if you are attacked by the average pirate then about 15 seconds!
    Most pirates are highly skilled through long practise, so you will need to develop similar skill levels.

Last, I assume that with 3 open attachment on the quad so that you can equip two lasers and the thruster; Can you please suggest the most eco choices of lasers for a newbie-lowbie to buy?
    The weapon attachment points will take one Kismet Laser, and one Heavy Porcupine. See entropedia for stats for these, and AH for current pricing.

I would suggest you get yourself a repair kit RK-5 and some welding wire to repair the craft after you have been hit.

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    I would suggest you get yourself a repair kit RK-5 and some welding wire to repair the craft after you have been hit.
    Great, thanks for all of the info you dumped in your last post! Since wire, oil, and weapons cells carried are loot-able in space, what do you believe is the minimum conservative amount that I should stock for each of these to attempt to avert risk while traveling/taxing others one day between planets?

Guardian
    Wire and weapon cells are not lootable in space.

Oil on its own is lootable, but if loaded into the quad it is protected and not lootable.

You can always extract all the oil from the craft when you reach planet-side.

Young
    Quote Originally Posted by Meric View Post
    Wire and weapon cells are not lootable in space.

Oil on its own is lootable, but if loaded into the quad it is protected and not lootable.

You can always extract all the oil from the craft when you reach planet-side.
    Great news then! You have been very helpful Thanks again

Great, thanks for all of the info you dumped in your last post! Since wire, oil, and weapons cells carried are loot-able in space, what do you believe is the minimum conservative amount that I should stock for each of these to attempt to avert risk while traveling/taxing others one day between planets?
    Welding wire and ammo are not lootable in any PVP zone, including Space.

Oil is only lootable if carried. However, it's not lootable while it's 'fuel' in your vehicle.

I purchased 20ped of welding wire when it was first introduced - and I'm still using it!
    However, it's quite some time since I travelled through Space.
    I would suggest that enough to repair your vehicle at least twice for every space station you pass on your trip would be a minimum - and add another 5ped TT to that, just to be safe.

For oil, I carry 20ped TT in each vehicle, which lasts for a quite some time. Check the level before each flight.

The amount of ammo you carry will depend on your plans in engaging in PVP or hunting while in Space.
    It doesn't hurt to carry more than you think you'll need, as you can always dump it in the TT on arrival to convert back to ped.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast