Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Planet Calypso Official Kim|Calypso's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wisdom View Post
    Maybe maintain multiple versions of the client?
    Example:
    1) XP / DirectX9
    2) Widows7 64 bit/DirectX10.
    We have enough trouble keeping one client in a playable state =)
    Mr Kim H.R. Welter
    Game Designer, MindArk PE AB

2. Sponsored Links
    Old
    Quote Originally Posted by Kim|MindArk View Post
    This is mostly a problem with the way many of the areas were designed. Whenever we make new areas we try to make sure to use the terrain occlusion because a high view distance is the real performance killer since seeing alot of terrain generates a massive amount of draw calls.

Draw calls is the real issue since we use DX9 and its really not designed to handle a high amount of those, this will be less of a problem when we upgrade to a newer DX version.
    Is there any way to combat this in the settings-ce.cfg file?

Young
    I agree that you guys need to "squeeze the juice" out of CE2 its an AMAZING engine and you are not working it to the fullest.

My biggest concern is by the time you have it working to the fullest if ever there will already be other MUCH MUCH better graphic engines on the market.

Hence making all of this a waste of time and resources.

Also lets put some props back int he game some ancient destroyed ruins form the war titan times and more scenery to take advantage of the amazing engine it's dull to only look at landscape with no building,wrecks history whatsoever.

What do you think?

Mature
    We have enough trouble keeping one client in a playable state =)
    So do yourselves a favor and drop XP support.

Old
    Quote Originally Posted by SnowLeopard View Post
    So do yourselves a favor and drop XP support.
    They can't. Do you remember all the crying when they released VU 10 with CryEngine and people couldn't resell out of their parents' basement or hunt snable anymore with their 7 year old computers?

That's probably nothing compared to what would happen if they cut out XP.

Try coding the platform for Direct X 11. DX11 is reverse compatible with Direct X 9, Direct X 10, and Direct X 10.1, replacing calls for tesselation and D3D11 with scaled down versions compatible with D3D9/10.

This feature is built into DX11 by design.

If you are only coding specifically for Direct X 10 this cannot be accomplished.

XP Support is maintained. Higher end user support is added. Everyone wins.
    Laudanum
    Welcoming new and advanced players!
    Nymphtown Castle
    Aesthetic Arts for your Entropian and Real World home.

Quote Originally Posted by Magyar View Post
    Try coding the platform for Direct X 11. DX11 is reverse compatible with Direct X 9, Direct X 10, and Direct X 10.1, replacing calls for tesselation and D3D11 with scaled down versions compatible with D3D9/10.

This feature is built into DX11 by design.

If you are only coding specifically for Direct X 10 this cannot be accomplished.

XP Support is maintained. Higher end user support is added. Everyone wins.
    Only problem I can see with this is the need to upgrade to CE3, as CE2 does not support DX11 AFAIK. If they were to make DX11 work in CE2 would probably require modifying the engine source code, which their license should allow them to do, however MA taking something like that on behond what they have already done to convert it for MMO use is to have an unrealistic expectation of them. I also believe that the way Crytek distributes CryEngine licenses is in the form of a CryEngine license, not a CE2 or a CE3 license. So while MA may already have access to CE3, again expecting them to apply time towards something like that, while it may be a relatively simply process of porting the code and existing assets over, is not going to happen due to them being able to use that time to implement new systems instead of upgrading a current one.

Because it would be a very time consuming process and it would mean that we would cut support for windows XP.
    I hope you drop Windows XP support the day there aren't enough players using it any more! It was a while since I saw someone post a screenshot with xp I think...

yeah lets drop XP users, and hear about all your whining about loss of players bitch bitch bitch all over again...

Not all use forums and posts screen shots either...

Why not when we are in the process make EU minimum requirement:
    24gb RAM
    4.5ghz quad cpu
    dual or maybe triple HD6990/GTX580
    so everyone need to buy a whole new EU ONLY play computer.

Lets forget everyone who dont buy a specific computer just to play EU when it works perfectly fine for everything else they use it for, as that is only sweaters, right? And you dont want to pay for sweaters game time?
    (Have you once thought that todays sweaters can be tomorrows ubers?)

Oh and surely MA is so incompetent so they dont have statistics for this or that either, right?

Drop XP support if you have to. I sit here with my 24GB of RAM mostly unused by Windows 7.

Long live Windows 7 64 bit and DirectX 11 with tessellation!

Whoever plays on XP only, most likely does not have money to deposit anyway.
    Last edited by wisdom; 07-26-2011 at 12:18.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast