Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hatchling

A buck fifty for a sword?

So I pay $1.50 for a sword that breaks after barely an hour of killing basic, no drop critters...and my skills STILL aren't good enough to fight anything else, which would of course cost me another $1.50...

I have no problem with spending money on a game...but come on...

So then I try mining...and what ore I manage to find is worth less than the sensors I used to find it...

So then I think, maybe the auction house will get me decent prices...but the cost to post is almost the cost of the item itself...with no guarantee I'll even sell.

I love the game concept and open endedness of the skills system, but until I win the lottery, I don't see how this is gonna work

2. Sponsored Links
    You need to learn about the game before you will be eco.

mine ores with a high MU. All i mine right now is belkar

reduced the loss a lot.

Hunting, do not do this unless in a team.

Crafting no.

oh and get a good job IRL and you will be fine )

Quote Originally Posted by mjprogue View Post
    So then I try mining...and what ore I manage to find is worth less than the sensors I used to find it...
    What did you expect, that you get MORE back? Who do you think is going to pay for that?

It is fairly easy to make a little profit from mining, but this includes markup you get from others...

I love the game concept and open endedness of the skills system, but until I win the lottery, I don't see how this is gonna work
    We have some officials posting here now, i leave this uncommented on purpose: Too curious what i.e. Kim will say on this...
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

While it is true that on average, your actions will cost more than the TT value of your loot, some days will be better than others. Simply dropping 1 probe or crafting one item or killing 10 mobs simply isn't enough. The system has a funny way of evening out, but it requires a high qty of activity over the long run.

And yes, the auction fee does highly discourage selling of small amounts of items.

The thing you must realize is that this game is designed for years of play, not days. Getting to level 100 in anything is a long hard road.

The best advice is to stick to using the TT weapons and continue killing the mob you started on. This helps build up the stackables you loot until there's enough to place on auction. Meanwhile your skills improve slowly but surely.

In the mean time, find a place called Twin Peaks. There are street vendors who are willing to buy any amount of hides, wools, etc. You will not get much markup (price above the Trade Terminal (TT) value) but every bit helps, until you can collect enough to start selling at higher prices.

hope that helps. Welcome to one of the hardest games you've ever played.
    Always willing to learn

Old
    So I pay $1.50 for a sword that breaks after barely an hour of killing basic, no drop critters...and my skills STILL aren't good enough to fight anything else, which would of course cost me another $1.50...

I have no problem with spending money on a game...but come on...

So then I think, maybe the auction house will get me decent prices...but the cost to post is almost the cost of the item itself...with no guarantee I'll even sell.

just wait till you have to buy a limited weapon for 60+ usd that only lasts a few hours :P

Hatchling
    Well, thanks for the comments, but ultimately it comes down to reality...

Ok, so the game requires tons of patience and time...no problem there...the problem I have is that I am required to spend money for pretty much every hour of play.

And yes...I do expect to turn a profit mining...its called realism...if profit could not be made, nobody would do it...and if long term real world investment in a game is required to even have a (slim?) chance of seeing a return on investment in game, there is a serious problem with the setup.

Take away item damage (or make it WAY more reasonable/realistic) and give me a subscription model...no way any but the incredibly stubborn and/or wealthy stick with this game at current pricing requirements.

Of course if I've missed the point and the bizarre real world economy (riiiggghhhttt...) actually IS the main draw of this game instead of being its biggest flaw, then my bad and I'll move on and let others be duped by the "you can actually make real money off of this game" scam.

Regardless, really bummed that the skill system I've ALWAYS been looking for finally comes along and other barriers to play are shutting me out...

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/fo...33#post2754733

Maybe this helps you to understand some concepts of the game.

BR
    Jennson

So I pay $1.50 for a sword that breaks after barely an hour of killing basic, no drop critters...
    I think we should expand a bit on this statement, because you make it sound like you spent those 1.50, which is obviously not true.

Ok, you paid $1.50 for the sword as you bought it (no reason to drama yet, you could have sold it back anytime, as long as you didn't decay it yet)

Then you went out, killing "critters".

I am sure some of the small mobs you can kill wih that thingie DID drop some loot (oil residue, muscle&eye oil, ...)

Now, what did you really SPEND on one sword?
    (Expenses - Loot)
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

Old

Talking

To cut your post kind of short. Snip...
    I've made around 1500ped from trading profits & I started with 0 ped, a further 4200ped from land ownership. Sold my share of land with final investment being under 2k. Another 1500ped in hunting profit (yes you heard that right from hunting) & my avatar is worth at least 3500ped the last time I checked in skills, could be worth 4000ped by the end of migration event.

You want to know how much I deposited? Around 12000ped not all at once over time & withdraw 8100 of that out on my 2nd year of playing. Just left 5000ped of workable bankroll on my pedcard, which I cycle through as fast as I can possibly go at my level, with the added gear investments in storage is where the rest of my ped went.

Lets break that down, depostited 12000ped over 1 year +4200 in sales +3500 in skills +1500 hunting +1500 trading - 8100 withdrawal = 10700. If I take my remaining 4000ped out, I should still be in +6k-7k profit remaining ingame for playing a game, with which I could do a lot with in EU. Paid to play a game? I think so.
    then my bad and I'll move on and let others be duped in by the "you can actually make real money off of this game" scam.
    Is it really a scam now I've shared with you my time in EU, really a scam? I'm sure I'm not the only one who has made a profit of course not everyone can profit but it is more than doable if not possible if you wanted it too, some choose not to of course & that's ok too. Once you learn more about how the game operates ie how the loot system functions in the various professions crafting/hunting/mining, you can learn a lot more about how to use that to your advantage. Will you still be moving along now?

Its actually quite simple really or do a profession that provides a service, also profitable & doesnt involve the loot system at all. But will of course require some initial invesment. That's what a lot of people coming into this game don't realise it takes some investment to get some back out. Otherwise you will be at ground zero ie 0.00 ped balance without shelling something out first either exceptional time or money.

If for example I wasn't profiting before my nice uber I was down about 1000ped. But that has been over a period of 6-8months. So on average this game was costing me $14.59 dollars per month or round it to $15 per month. Which is like your regular sub mmo game. But to get this kind of cost per month what I did was basically deposit an amount that a high mmo sub-game would cost for an entire year. $40x12. $480 = 4800ped or 5000 if you wanted, which is what I did & that has helped a lot even out the imbalance in loot.

A buck fifty for a sword? Absolutely

~Mark~
    Last edited by M Rufen Power; 08-14-2011 at 23:22.

Young
    1)the problem I have is that I am required to spend money for pretty much every hour of play.

2)I do expect to turn a profit mining...its called realism...if profit could not be made, nobody would do it...and if long term real world investment in a game is required to even have a (slim?) chance of seeing a return on investment in game, there is a serious problem with the setup.

Take away item damage (or make it WAY more reasonable/realistic) and give me a subscription model...no way any but the incredibly stubborn and/or wealthy stick with this game at current pricing requirements.
    1) Much unlike playing WoW, Age of Conan or even the fucking premium version of Runescape.

2) It's called amusement value. If I play bloody chess, or even rent a fucking car and drive in a circle; I'm not going to make a nickle doing it but I'll still be doing it.

3) You've played the game for less than an hour and have absolutely no clue regarding the game, other than a very shallow overview. Save the "amagad everting is wr0ng, but I no how 2 fix" arguments for when you actually have something to give to the discussion.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast