Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Provider
    One of the things I like most about this game is that it is very closely linked to real life. In real life you can't undo your mistakes and it is very hard to do so in this game.

2. Sponsored Links
    Provider
    Quote Originally Posted by Scyta View Post

Now to wind down this game theoretical rant and to get to a point.

If the second major choice in EU, that which planet to join, can affect you the player so adversely that you either stuck somewhere you don't think it's fun to be stuck at or directly effect you in the real world by forcing you to use real currency to "fix" the the error of your choice then I submit to you that there are no magic circle surrounding EU.

And without a magic circle one can argue that there are no game. A virtual world interlinked with ours yes but it should not be seen as a game.

So that's why I want alts or the possibility of a do over because that's the only way in a persistent world to ensure the existence of a magic circle.
    EU is a virtual reality closely linked to the real world and yes there is no magic circle, but as it is very closely linked to the real world you can also fix your mistakes the same way you would in the real world. That, of course, being by the help of other people. There are many people in the game who will help guide new people around and help them understand the game and keep them from making the same mistakes they did. That is why most people say to make sure to choose Calypso as your starter planet so that you don't make that mistake. If you do pick the wrong world there are many people that would gladly help taxi a new person to the right world, it's just a matter of waiting for them. If you get stuck somewhere and make a wrong turn there are people who will pass by and offer you a life, or you can contact the various rescue teams that exist in the game. while this game isn't a traditional game in the sense that your mistakes can't be magically undone, it is still a game and I actually think that it is funner because of not being able to undo your mistakes.

This might not be the game for you then Scyta. Unlike RL, you get to choose in this game "where your born" but like RL, when you make a mistake (which btw I think your logic is wrong on that) you learn from it, not just get handed a "do over".
    Each planet is different, but they are all relatively the same and most of the avatars on each planet are helpful.
    You can't change the sex of your avatar in the game but that is kind of unimportant. The important part is hunting, mining, crafting or whatever else you decide to do in game. But mostly having fun.

Hatchling
    Quote Originally Posted by FlorencioNineWind View Post
    EU is a virtual reality closely linked to the real world and yes there is no magic circle, but as it is very closely linked to the real world you can also fix your mistakes the same way you would in the real world. That, of course, being by the help of other people. There are many people in the game who will help guide new people around and help them understand the game and keep them from making the same mistakes they did. That is why most people say to make sure to choose Calypso as your starter planet so that you don't make that mistake. If you do pick the wrong world there are many people that would gladly help taxi a new person to the right world, it's just a matter of waiting for them. If you get stuck somewhere and make a wrong turn there are people who will pass by and offer you a life, or you can contact the various rescue teams that exist in the game. while this game isn't a traditional game in the sense that your mistakes can't be magically undone, it is still a game and I actually think that it is funner because of not being able to undo your mistakes.
    Actually the magic circle is so much about having your mistakes magically undone but about creating a framework that separates the play of the game from the real world and protects the actions of the game from affecting the real world and the real world affecting the actions of the game (it's also about lusory attitudes but let's not get into all that here).

I'll give you an example of three activities and you can think of why; based on seeing the magic circle as a protective circle, one of them is considered a game, one is not considered a game and one is seen as something borderline between a game or not.
    Playing the stock-market, playing poker and playing monopoly.

Anyway, I understand that there are other ways to handle mistakes in EU.
    I can even see why MA choose the design decision to restrict avatars to one (though deleting is more complicated). I think FlorencioNineWind is probably spot on.
    I just find that design decision fascinating since any game designer worth his salt would realize that it would remove the magic circle which in turn would relegate their game to not being a game.
    I'm not saying it's wrong but there is probably a research paper in it.

Btw don't feel bad that EU isn't a game according to game theory. Neither is for example PnP role-playing games (though for different reasons).

Hatchling
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
    This might not be the game for you then Scyta. Unlike RL, you get to choose in this game "where your born" but like RL, when you make a mistake (which btw I think your logic is wrong on that) you learn from it, not just get handed a "do over".
    Each planet is different, but they are all relatively the same and most of the avatars on each planet are helpful.
    You can't change the sex of your avatar in the game but that is kind of unimportant. The important part is hunting, mining, crafting or whatever else you decide to do in game. But mostly having fun.
    Just have to ask why gender changes are unimportant?
    It's extremely common that people engage in gender play and experimentation when protected by the anonymity of mmo's and virtual world but if you only have one avatar you lose some of that anonymity and might now have to reveal that you like to play a character of a different gender of your own.
    Let's say a real macho sport jock plays a girl in game and suddenly his macho sports friends decide to join the game too. Don't you think it might be important for him to be able switch gender all of a sudden to avoid real life problems?
    (This is actually also a question of Huzinga's magic circle. It's not all about mistakes and do overs. )

Thats what sets this game apart from others! I have played my fair share of games, and I find that this one has that edge that I find both fasinating and challenging at the same time...

But you are correct in saying this does not qualify as a traditional game. This has the personal choice of being a MMO game, an investment game, a game of chance, or one you play loosely in your spare time!! Who knows, this may set the standard in what a game really is??!!

Hatchling
    so I understand the can't make new characters. But I just started yesterday ready to quit, I will not deposit money if I can't even find 1 person to talk to in game! I started on next Island a mistake probably. did the game warn me? No. Did it show me population stats? Nope. So I have a few sweat a sword from a quest (broken) no one to sell sweat to. So can't fix my sword. no one to mentor me since no one is on. Cant fix my sweat gather machine, since can't sell my sweat.

This makes no sense, no wonder no one plays the game, as a newbie starting out and then goes to a place where there is not one person to help what are we spose to do? I said ok I try make another account, well of course takes me to Next Island where no one is. This makes for a poor game. Why would I want to play a game were there are no people?

So maybe I picked the wrong place to start... fine, but a warning would been nice, that hey don't play here. So now my friend and I are stuck on a place with no one. No way to learn the game, no one to help.

So of course any other new players are gonna do the same. log off/Delete and uninstall. How does the game stay in business? Not be crappy as I wanted to play the game ready to deposit my money as I have played sub games most of my time. But now I am ready to uninstall.

So what do I do? Uninstall game?
    Last edited by Eseave; 01-21-2012 at 17:29.

Quote Originally Posted by Eseave View Post
    so I understand the can't make new characters. But I just started yesterday ready to quit, I will not deposit money if I can't even find 1 person to talk to in game! I started on next Island a mistake probably. did the game warn me? No. Did it show me population stats? Nope. So I have a few sweat a sword from a quest (broken) no one to sell sweat to. So can't fix my sword. no one to mentor me since no one is on. Cant fix my sweat gather machine, since can't sell my sweat.

This makes no sense, no wonder no one plays the game, as a newbie starting out and then goes to a place where there is not one person to help what are we spose to do? I said ok I try make another account, well of course takes me to Next Island where no one is. This makes for a poor game. Why would I want to play a game were there are no people?

So maybe I picked the wrong place to start... fine, but a warning would been nice, that hey don't play here. So now my friend and I are stuck on a place with no one. No way to learn the game, no one to help.

So of course any other new players are gonna do the same. log off/Delete and uninstall. How does the game stay in business? Not be crappy as I wanted to play the game ready to deposit my money as I have played sub games most of my time. But now I am ready to uninstall.

So what do I do? Uninstall game?
    It is very dead on NI atm.. I am there as well but not online atm... For you that just started out, I would consider one of two things.. either send a support case in to MA to have them either try and move you (most likely won't happen) or ask them to deleat this character (most likely to happen) or take opption 2.

Option two is a hard option that requires some time and patience. You can try and stick it out untill someone like me gets online and takes you around to get all the free stuff on NI, and then can take you to another planet. Or you can ask around, when you do find someone, if they are interested in transfering you to another planet. Most of us will do it for free just to help out a new player..

Also do some research on NI's forum page... http://www.nextislandlife.com/content/

There are some missions that do not cost anything and have some good rewards..

Also check out the rest of the planets forums..

http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/
    http://www.neverdie.com/content/
    http://www.arkadiaforum.com/
    and for good measure.. http://cyreneforum.com/

The last one isn't online yet, but does give you an example of what's to come..

This isn't your typical game, so the learning curve is huge, but having said that, once you get a good understanding of how things work, there is a ton of fun to be had..

Gl to you and have fun!!

Old Alpha
    wouldn't it be nice if mods would edit posts and list the reason for removals instead of just deleting them with no reason why explained in the thread or in a pm?!?

Banned
    I'm also on NI actually, for some time, mostly in Greece though.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast