Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hatchling

Question Incoming Supernoob

Hey all,

After hearing a few things about this game on Massively.com and other sources, I decided to come check it out. The real money economy is quite intriguing to me, as I've always enjoyed the activity of making piles of money in the other MMOs I've played (particularly WoW and EVE).

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about how things work in this game. Not sure if I should travel to Arkadia or Calypso, for example, nor how the two places differ / are the same. Not even sure if they share an economy...

Any help would be appreciated! If there are any noob guides, or groups akin to EVE University, I'd love to be pointed in their directions!

Thanks,
    -Jhonka

2. Sponsored Links
    If interested in Arkadia, that should be the right place for you:
    http://arkadiaforum.com/content.php?290-guides

There are also many Arkadian Advisors around, for helping you with your first steps.

Hatchling
    If you are looking for interplanetary trades I offer the best flat subscription scheduled warp flights service ingame on dreadnought mothership:

http://www.wix.com/giuly_adm/dreadnought

It allows you to join a lot of scheduled flights between planets without risk to be looted in pvp.

Wellcome to Entropia Universe!

Welcome Jhonka to Entropia!

I wouldn't compare Entropia to EVE and certainly not WoW. Maybe you didn't actually compare but you did mention it so I felt like I had to say something about it

A good basic guide is *Alice guide to Entropia*. It might not be completely up to date but I think the basics are still valid. rp.apachenet.de/downloads

Another good way to get ingame knowledge is finding a mentor. Make sure you live around same timezone otherwise it will be hard to meet inworld.

Good luck with your endaviours..

Cheers, Roni

Old

Cool Quick and Incomplete Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Jhonka View Post
    Hey all,

After hearing a few things about this game on Massively.com and other sources, I decided to come check it out. The real money economy is quite intriguing to me, as I've always enjoyed the activity of making piles of money in the other MMOs I've played (particularly WoW and EVE).

That being said, I know absolutely nothing about how things work in this game. Not sure if I should travel to Arkadia or Calypso, for example, nor how the two places differ / are the same. Not even sure if they share an economy...

Any help would be appreciated! If there are any noob guides, or groups akin to EVE University, I'd love to be pointed in their directions!

Thanks,
    -Jhonka
    The Entropia Universe economy is an interesting one in that it is technically a shared one, in the sense that different Regions in Eve have different Markets. And similar to Eve, in order to trade in one planet's market you need to travel to that planet.

You are able to see the current things on offer on any planet's market from any in-game Auction terminal.

"Planets" have many similarities in that they all have
    - resources to mine
    - creatures to kill
    - places to craft tools, weapons, armour, clothing, etc

Many of the mineral resources, animal DNAs, and so on are designated as "shared components" in the Entropia Universe and may appear on any or even all planets.

However, planets also have differences such as
    - unique creature DNAs
    - unique mineral resources
    - different support / owner companies / management
    - length of existence / history etc
    - pros and cons

There is no easy suggestion or obvious choice about where to go or start, as it depends quite a lot on whether you are the sort of person who prefers heavily trafficked well-established markets, or prefers to forge their own way for argument's sake on newly established frontier worlds.

There is no shortage of opportunity or limitation on what you can do - anything you can do on one planet you can do on another. Some activities will require resources that might be more easily sourced on one planet than another, but all basic activities are equally viable pretty much wherever you go.

Hopefully that scratches the surface of the question you asked above, and as others have indicated it is a good idea to have a quick squizz through the planet-specific related forums to review their back story and see if there are either issues there that would preclude you wanting to play there or they have compelling reasons for you to want to set up shop.

Good luck out there, and welcome aboard.

Provider
    Hey all,

Welcome to the game. Entropia can be a very fun game. However, it is very difficult to make 'piles of money' in the game. Especially if you play for free It's best to play the game from the stand point of playing a game and not from the perspective of wanting to make money.

I'm good for just about any ingame question and as others have mentioned there are a few places where you can find some information; though it may be outdated so always get a second opinion. As far as a starting planet is concerned: Never start on Next Island, and never start on Rocktropia; otherwise either Arkadia or Calypso are good planets to start on for different reasons. Calypso will be easier to deal with if you intend on trying to play for free; Arkadia is better for skills. As far as economies go: Calypso has the largest economy by far; having an economy size roughly 3 times bigger than all the other planets combined on average; Arkadia is second, then Rocktropia, then Next Island. All the planets are linked in an interspace economy, though you have to travel to the specific planets to do business on them as others have said.

Hatchling
    Thanks all for your responses! I tore through Alice's guide today, and I have a few questions on some of the sections:

First of all, I read that the auction terminals are interplanetary in nature, but you either have to pick up the materials yourself or pay a shipping fee; is this the case?

Between Calypso and Arkadia, I've read some information but I'm still confused on which I should pick... If I pick the wrong planet, how much ped does it cost to move to the other?

How do I go about finding a mentor? I think I'm most interested in the mining / crafting / trading professions as opposed to hunting.

Oh, and as someone who cares very little about avatar appearance, how much will this affect my reputation? I've read that a lot of you judge an avatar by looks :-P

Thanks again!

Thanks all for your responses! I tore through Alice's guide today, and I have a few questions on some of the sections:

First of all, I read that the auction terminals are interplanetary in nature, but you either have to pick up the materials yourself or pay a shipping fee; is this the case?

Between Calypso and Arkadia, I've read some information but I'm still confused on which I should pick... If I pick the wrong planet, how much ped does it cost to move to the other?

How do I go about finding a mentor? I think I'm most interested in the mining / crafting / trading professions as opposed to hunting.

Oh, and as someone who cares very little about avatar appearance, how much will this affect my reputation? I've read that a lot of you judge an avatar by looks :-P

Thanks again!
    Welcome to EU

Some information in Alice's Guide may be outdated now.

1. You can SEE auctions on all planets (use the drop down list in the top right corner to change to a different planet's auction). However to BID you need to be on the same planet where the auction was placed. You also need to be on that same planet to collect the item if you win the auction bidding; auction shipping is no longer available.

2. Space flight fares are very cheap now, only a few ped if flown by quad. If you've only just started, there will be nothing significant you'll want to take with you on the flight. (Note: Space flight is through lootable pvp zone. Lootable items include stackable things such as materials and minerals, but not armor, weapons, tools or clothing)

3. There is a mentor list ingame, showing all players willing to be mentors, and whether or not they're online. You'll also find people will respond if you ask in local chat. In choosing a mentor, look for someone who plays in the same timezone as you, and who has reasonable experience in the field that you'd like to learn about.

4. Personally, I'd go for an appearance that YOU are happy with. Hopefully you'll be spending a lot of time looking at that avatar on your screen I've not particularly noticed that anyone pays that much attention to the looks of another avatar. (Tho, if you choose to look like a hot chick, 1/2 the players will probably assume you're a guy in RL).

Provider

Thanks again!
    People care about other's appearances in this game about as much as people do in real life. Maybe a little bit less. The general idea is that you and others in the game will be looking at your avatar for long periods of time so it may as well be an avatar that looks good If at any point you want to change your appearance in the game you can try to find a hairstylist or body sculptor and then pay them to fix you up. This can be either cheap or very expensive depending upon what you want them to change and who the hairstylist or body sculptor is. As far as avatar gender goes; female avatars tend to get more freebies, but that is normal in any game

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast