View Poll Results: do you think we need space rescue team?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes. we need it

1 12.50%
  • no, we dont need it

4 50.00%
  • maybe

3 37.50%

need space rescue team?

hi guy i have came up, but trouble question
    but anyway
    i dont know anyone have been stuck in space.
    but issues is newbie one could stuck up there for days
    might need to be able get them
    now here following thing
    • u have 20ped of oil in ur quad, (vtol is welcome but they r slow)
    • have 2ped in ur PED Card (Entry to planet)
    • customer pay u later at end rescue flight no less then 5 ped
    • friendly must to have
    • also all pilot must have weapon and ammo on board incase of pirate, kill thier ship, but dont loot them

anyway do u think work best or not please vote and comment

2. Sponsored Links
    Dominant
    Honestly, I don't think there's much demand for it. When space first came out, ASF was rescuing stuck travelers pretty frequently (for free). Now that thrusters are so cheap, it doesn't happen much, or if it does, there are enough other travelers that they can hitch a ride or get their vehicle repaired without much waiting. At most stations you'll see green dots once an hour or so, and newbies rarely end up at the remotest place (Nyx) where you could probably wait for days before seeing another traveler.

The problem with charging for a rescue is that if the player is not in a position to pay for the teleport down to planet, then they probably can't pay for a rescue either. The idea of paying for rescues has been taken and twisted by pirates. Some of them have shot down travelers and then held them hostage until they paid the "repair" fee, or paid to let them pass. So to prevent abuse it's best to just do it for free.

So I'm not sure it would be worth the effort to organize something at this time. If we suddenly get a lot of new players due to some marketing program, then it might be more necessary. Those are just my feelings, I could, of course, be wrong.

it's not needed because everyone with loot knows how to press alt+f4 and logoff.

why would anyone want to pay for something they can bypass using an exploit?
    i've been fighting for this change for a long time now.
    and it seems that people also want to start their own space business..

the only problem for every spaceknight which went up in space since it got released,
    is that the logoff issue makes you an irrelivent option.

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    it's not needed because everyone with loot knows how to press alt+f4 and logoff.
    I didn't know this? Alt-F4 will put you back on planet? Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by OZtwo View Post
    I didn't know this? Alt-F4 will put you back on planet? Cool.
    Don't think he said that. I figure you will respawn at log off point in your vehicle when logging in. Not sure here....maybe I will test that soon.

Regards, Roni

Dominant
    Traditionally, rescues have been done by volunteers, without any charge.

I once got a call from someone who needed help, he hadn't checked the oil he had on ship so he got stuck at Howling Mines. Unfortunately I was on the other side of the universe by then.

A problem with rescues in space on volunteer basis is probably the time it takes if someone is stuck on a "neutral space station" as he probably wants to be taken to a planet, and you have to fly both to the rescue and fly back and meanwhile you have nothing else to do. (For rescues on Calypso you can teleport out to the "dunghole" and then you can hunt your way back a bit, or fly him. Anyway it's usually not a long distance anymore to nearest TP since the vehicles came.)
    WoF team Sweden
    World of Firepower is coming - We're always looking for good Swedes to represent Sweden, and all support is welcome!

- Sakura, Koufuku 2c - http://web.comhem.se/~u77771572/aia/ -

rescue team obsolite

Except for the rescue mission as aia mentioned where someone is stranded in space due to running out of oil its a non discussion.

Why?

In the previous space bug someone would stay and die in one place visible for other players. With some tricks someone could enter the vehicle of the rescuer. Neil Stockton is quite the expert here. It involved some relogs and good timing but it could be done.

In the current situation, this is at least my experience, the avatar is slowly drifting in space and NOT visible for other players so a rescue mission will never succeed.

The only way to deal with this is to post a reallocation support ticket with MindArk.

Regards, Roni

Dominant
    As Roni said, there are occasions when space bugs get you (usually a few days after a VU) and you're left stuck or floating in space. In those cases, it's best just to send a support case to MindArk.

I'm not saying there's no need for space rescues... I think the OP was asking whether there's need for a space rescue organization. Here are some situations when people might need to be rescued:

1) they run out of oil
    2) their ship has been destroyed and they have no RK-5 or welding wire (or more rarely, the ship has reached minimum TT value)
    3) their space thruster has reached minimum condition
    4) they have no peds for the planet fee and can't deposit
    5) their hired pilot/friend disconnects or abandons them in space without the means to get back to a planet
    6) there are too many pirates for them to leave a safe zone
    7) they were taken to space against their will and abandoned (passengers in VTOLs and quads are not given a choice to accept/deny entry into space)
    8) it's also possible to accept a spaceship summons accidentally because the summon window pops up so that the "Accept" button is directly over the place where certain other alert window buttons go. In other words, you may be clicking a different button when a summons pops up under your mouse and gets clicked
    9) there have also been cases when a quad gets separated from the avatar, for instance, a player disconnects and the quad gets sent back to planet storage but the avatar stays in space

8 & 9 might seem unlikely, but they've both happened to me

Keeping a spare VTOL, thruster, WW, RK-5, with extra oil on you at all times prevents most of the above situations.