Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by aia View Post
    They monitor heat.
    I haven't asked what they do - i have asked how they work.

They doesn't reduce heat. And how they react (for instance shut system down) depends on software and drivers.
    Reboot or shutdown.
    And those two reactions are the only possible reactions to prevent the system from hardware damage.

(I once had a graphic card that would go over 100 oC in a long session of playing. After I realized that I bought an external fan and put it above graphic card and the temperature got more realistic.)
    Cool story. Does that somehow contribute to the topic?

Fans can fail though. Also, the smaller they are (imagine size inside a notebook computer) the less efficient they are in transporting air.
    Failing fans will just trigger the same reactions: reboot or shutdown.

1) Their interiors are supplied with AC so though outdoor temperature reaches 40oC indoor temperature stays around 20oC?
    Hardly. Even in the moderate climate zone i am in an air temperature of 40C is unlikely, but not impossible.

2) They use computers designed to work under hotter conditions, ie desktop computers with good cooling rather than laptops when they run applications that makes temperature in hardware go up (=when they do hardcore gaming instead of poking around in wordpad)?
    Are you just guessing here?

Every computer should be able to handle 40C ambient temperature.

I could add, as far as I remember, laptops hasn't been recommended to run entropia. They risk crashing in high population areas like Twin Peaks. (Exception would be laptops explicitly created for gaming.)
    Could you provide a link?
    Because i am quite sure that has never been officially stated.

And EU runs fine on mine, nowhere near being an "explicitely created for gaming" laptop.
    Not a single fuck shall be given today

2. Sponsored Links
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbey Kal View Post
    Your math shows that you are assuming that the cause of the of an overheating computer and the heat sensor failure are statistically independent. . . which is the absurd part.
    And you are claiming that they are statistically dependent.
    Where is your proof that they are?

Don't bother, they are not, and you will not be able to prove the opposite.

And please, stop calling things you haven't understood "absurd".

I also never made the assumption that that the heat sensor failed. I instead gave it as one possible cause for not powering down due to overheating. KikkiJikki and aia each gave other (Better ) explanations.
    Your entire chain of reasoning is based on a malfunctioning heat sensor, because a working heat sensor would shut down the system (and not allow the system to show all these strange effects you all love so much to cite)

That's fine.
    Fine? You just got caught with the fingers in the cookie jar and that's your reply?

If you had said; "The symptoms described in the initial post are not consistent with overheating alone. So if there is an issue it is bigger than that" I would not have disagreed.

You seem to agree with KikkiJikki on this statement. I see no issue.
    I have not said that, and i did not mean it.
    There is no such thing as overheating symptoms other than your computer shutting down/rebooting.

Unless you want to talk about things your computer does seconds before the graphic card fries, because all the systems build to prevent that failed at once.

But; instead of making that statement you said :

This is the statement that I, and others, disagree with you about.
    You don't have to cite my posts, i know what i wrote.
    And i know that you disagree.

Your point?

Again, you are assuming that because;1) a computer is intended to shut down when in a heat range outside of normal operating parameters that: 2) "Strange" symptoms from overheating do not often occur.
    I am not assuming anything here.

A fried graphics card would be the result of your little unlikely "heat sensor failed" scenario, leaving no doubts what might have caused the strange symptoms.

This would, however, only happen when the sensor reports a wrong (too low) temperature, because the power up self test would detect a sensor that's not working at all.

You are making an unsupported conclusion.
    lolwtf?

I will not dignify that with a comment, really.

Actually no. Adding a load does not "just mean take more time." That is not the meaning of the word 'load' in electronics. It is device in a circuit with power usage. This load may result in heat in excess of the tolerable amount (i.e. >100% of the intended operational temperature range)
    Please, read a book or two on how computers work.

And don't try to twist your bullshit statement from the last post into something you never said nor meant.

It actually surprised me that you seemed to think that there is no value in a reduction of the probability of an unpleasant event, even if there is still a significant probability of the unpleasant event occurring. Oh well.
    Errrm, what?
    Is that just a loose mixture of words or did you actually intend them to have a meaning in that combination? Moreover a meaning that has somehow a relevance to what i said?

I asked a (rhetorical) question, to make you think about why heat sensors are used at all - and all you understood is that i (alledgedly) don't see much sense in having a heat sensor at all?????

And stop using the term "significant" to describe the probability of something that is as unlikely as an ATH in EU.

You are reversing the order of cause and effect and ignoring probability / statistics, when implying that the "End of Warranty" is a cause, instead of an effect. My statement only 1) Gave a possible example and 2) at most implied correlation not causality. I (mistakenly ? ) assumed you knew the difference. . . .
    "End of Warranty" is an effect now?????

How much more can we dumb down this debate?
    I do know the difference - but why the hell do you think you do?

Just look at it (i took some text out in between, but the meaning is unchanged):
    having a heat sensor ... would reduce the probability of over heating ... after the computer is out of warranty
    I'm not even sure what you were trying to say here at all.

Note to self: Add "Correlation" and "Causality" to the list...

... In casual terms: That a computer is "out of warranty" has a SIGNIFICANT (adverse) effect on the probability of failure of internal parts...
    Didn't you just cry wolf because you did (alledgedly) not imply causality?
    And now you not only imply causality, you fully claim there is....
    Or can your line above be interpreted in a way that does not say "out of warranty is causing higher probability of failure of internal parts"??????

Sorry, this is far too dumb for me.

And FFS, stop using that word - you obviously have no idea what significance means!

Note to self:
    Add "Significance" to the list...
    Last edited by wizzszz; 08-14-2013 at 04:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Serica View Post
    The OP's question was about whether his issues indicated a hardware problem or a software threat.
    I do remember. Thanks a bunch.

I think, despite the bickering over technicalities, the consensus is that it's due to his hardware.
    No, there is no "consensus" here, because it is not his hardware.
    His hardware is fine.

5. 08-14-2013, 09:26
    Reason
    spam

Let me re-phrase that then:
    The issue is with his computer (whether hardware or software) and for him to resolve, not a security issue with EU for MA to resolve.

Let me re-phrase that then:
    The issue is with his computer (whether hardware or software) and for him to resolve, not a security issue with EU for MA to resolve.
    Aye, with that i'm fine.

Mature
    On the bottom of the G73 is a reset hole.

You can press a folded out paperclip in it while the laptop is turned on, it will cause an immediate shutdown of the system. This may be scary if you have never done it before. After about 10 seconds try to turn it on again.

It might make no sense but I've owned one in the past and I had to do this after I had accidentally pressed the turbo switch sometimes.

Simply turning it off in bios or by pressing again never really fixed it.

Might be worth a try.

Hatchling

Thank you for the help

I reinstalled Win 7 and upgraded my nVidia drivers only to version 306.** and now it works. Somehow it seems that the graphics drivers were to blame. This is not the only game i needed to downgrade the graphics drivers in order for it to work properly; I think it was Skyrim, that also became unplayable at an earlier time when i updated my graphics drivers (that was fixed with an even later driver release).

Moral of the story for me: always keep an earlier driver installer file on the hard drive.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kosie View Post
    I reinstalled Win 7 and upgraded my nVidia drivers only to version 306.** and now it works. Somehow it seems that the graphics drivers were to blame. This is not the only game i needed to downgrade the graphics drivers in order for it to work properly; I think it was Skyrim, that also became unplayable at an earlier time when i updated my graphics drivers (that was fixed with an even later driver release).

Moral of the story for me: always keep an earlier driver installer file on the hard drive.

Thanks again.
    Great to hear!! Yeah had this same problem with an older AMD card I was running. I had to download a very old driver in order to get the speed and the quality back.

Gl and have fun!

Overheating!!! I was so damn sure it was overheating!!

No, wait - that was someone else...

Quote Originally Posted by wizzszz View Post
    Overheating!!! I was so damn sure it was overheating!!

No, wait - that was someone else...

I told ya it wasn't overheating!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast