Thread: Hunting

Young

Hunting

Hi all,

I am new to EU (8 days now) and so far I love it. I have not deposited so far because i want to see what i am getting into before i spend real cash on it...

So here goes:

Started out by sweating and then turreting dry mobs in icarus. Moved to swunting after selling my first 1000 sweat. 427 rifle skill and 123 evade so far.

I started hunting low level mobs L2/L3 and sometimes a L4. The problem that I have is that I am never, and I mean never, making a profit or even breaking even when hunting. Here is what I do:

- Using an hk110 basically maxed out. (9.7/10 hit)
    - I try my best to conserve ammo. I only shoot when I will hit.
    - I only initiate combat when I know i will kill the mob before it kills me.
    - Have tried the snablesnots and exosaurs outside PA. Tried the exosaurs and shinkiba outside Twin Peaks and the daikiba west of the oil fields near Icarus.

By my calculations I get a profit on some mobs but it is never nearly enough to make up for the mobs that I make a loss on. I can understand making a loss now and then on a hunting session but always makes hunting seem kinda pointless.

If I deposit and I make a constant loss when hunting... wtf would the point be. Am I being to impatient and its normal to make a loss this early or am i just really unlucky. Any advice on turning this around would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 09-16-2013 at 09:34.

2. Sponsored Links
    Provider
    Hi,

first the good news. If you aren't going to hit a mob (its too far away, or it moves out of being targeted) then no ammo is consumed, no weapon decay happens. Try firing once in the air while you pay attention to your ammo level. There should be no change.

now the reality check. EU is designed so that in the long term, the TT value of loot will be less than what it cost to obtain it. The way to break even or get a little ahead is to sell your loot for markup (MU) to other players. This is hard, especially for new players. Ideally you will never be selling back to the trade terminal. But there are a number of loot materials that have no little to no demand from them. These are called "TT food". So chances are u will have to TT some of ur loot. But as much as possible, sell to other players or on auction. With auction you need to sell large enough stacks so that the auction fee doesn't eat all of your MU. Again this is hard for new players as they often can't afford to stockpile loot given their budgets. So probably you need to be looking at selling to traders. I am not much on Calypso but probably Twins is a good place to look for traders.

If you are going to start depositing then a good way to look at is compare your deposits to what you might spend on a subscription game or the cost of a night out doing what ever it is you enjoy doing in the real life. Is the game enteraining for you and cheap enough or would you be better spending that money on something else.

Or you might choose to avoid depositing, relying on sweating and provision of services to fund your game. That's a hard way to play, but many people make a go if it. Personally I preferred to spend some and have more fun.

Old

Cool To add to KJ's Reality Check...

... it is also important to understand that in Entropia, Skills have real value.

They can be chipped out and sold, so that makes them a marketable commodity. So especially in your earlier days of hunting, when you are gaining a LOT of points in your skills due to being new at the job, you will find that your loot returns are somewhat "reduced" by the value of the skills you are receiving.

You want more skills though, because these widen the options you have as regards which weapons you can use efficiently and so on.

So as indicated, there is not much scope for you to magically make money hunting - even at optimum efficiency the system is designed to operate you at a loss in raw base-value terms. The only place you can save your return is in the markup on items or loot returns that you can sell to other players.

But since loot is dynamic / has large numbers of elements in it which make it very hard to distinguish from random / you should develop a hunting style / approach to the game which adjusts your expectations to anticipate a steady loss of base cash... But which is at least leaving you an option or two for a chance at an increased income.

In most cases for my own disciples I recommend looking for mobs with sought-after hides (texturers will pay money for a nice pattern) or which have a chance of dropping an item or two that may be of use to you.

As KJ says, especially on the low level starting mobs this is a non-trivial challenge, and without a deposit you should anticipate the need to spend significant portions of your spare time gathering more sweat to continue funding your starting hunting career.

Good luck out there and feel free to ask more Qs...

Young
    Holy crap, I have been focusing so hard on hitting the mobs that I never realised it doesnt consume ammo or decay if you dont hit. I just assumed that it does.(obviously the yellow miss/evades does). And here i thought my leet FPS skills was actually playing a role :P

Hmm that might be the problem then. I have sold to traders if I see them advertising but I sell way to much to tt. I should think of it as a long term investment rather than instant gratification. O well, you live, you learn, you sweat.

I guess over time I will learn what items are tt food and what I hang on to.

I thought the same thing. Paid WoW sub for many years. Atleast here i have the choice of not paying one month if i dont feel like it. Although I must say the reason I stopped playing WoW was because it became redundant, no more challenge just free loot for everyone. I think my attraction to EU at this stage is the challenge.

Some good points Cly. I will put some time into researching which mobs drop what and what I can expect in MU from these items or even which items i might have a use for.

Thanks for the replies!

p.s: one other thing about EU. Where other MMO's(and trust me I have tried a couple) have a 99% asshole to 1% good person ratio it seems to be exactely the opposite in EU.
    Last edited by Anarchist; 09-16-2013 at 13:12.

Old

Cool Just fair warning...

... I'm not sure I'd bet on a 99-1 good person ration here.

I do agree it's higher than average due to more mature players, a bigger investment in avatar credibility and reputation...

But I think you're better off being careful rather than trusting.
    Even folks who have been friends for years sometimes mysteriously end up on the boards arguing about why items were not returned and who really owns them...

So my standing advice is:
    - never deposit anything you cannot afford to lose
    - never trade anything away you can't live with not seeing again (even for collateral)
    - get collateral of some sort if you do intend to do any sort of item trade business with people on a regular basis
    - Take MA seriously and safe guard your account access details

Other than that though - do also be prepared to be quite pleasantly surprised at times by random gifts of true generosity.

I certainly have a reasonably good list of experiences myself, starting with a player named Helios a long long time ago

Young
    Ye make no mistake i am not naive, this is a rl cash economy. Some people will do anything to get ahead.

Was just a general observation. They may not be assholes in general but whether they have decent "business ethics" is a matter all on its own

Mature

hi :)

the only thing i can add is .... pvp zones r different ...everyshot fired cost ammo.... and yes , on caly i hunt in pvp zones . plz NOTE : pvp3 is different than pvp4 -pvp4 u need a shot and can be looted (so it will be easy to tell if u r close to these areas) - pvp3 they can only *toast* ur avi Note: space is all pvp4 yet we do NOT need a shot to go there.. gl hf
    Last edited by Efia Invicta Lux; 09-16-2013 at 16:05.

Hatchling
    I am going to give you a little heads up here. I have been playing for around a week and my soc mate turned me onto a more eco gun than the HK or Scorp.
    You should look into buying a Kiwio from the newb weapons on trade Terminal and a EP-2 Proton with a B101 mod. Those 2 guns are by far the most eco for killing puny's and gateway mobs. This is because they dont need to be repaired so you save a lot more money just buying new ones. They are a lot cheaper than repairing an HK.

Also dont plan on making any kind of profit from puny mobs or mobs level 2-4 at all. The gun you are using uses so much ammo to kill anything other than a puny you are just losing money. Stick to farming up puny's or if you actually want a good profit head to the gateway. The gateway is the place where you started in the tutorial. You can get back there by going to the Port Atlantis TP and turning around and looking for a wooden walk way below the TP. It will lead you to the gateway gate.

Young
    The first gun i bought was the kiwio mk II. Was an excellent buy at the start. The HK110 is slightly more eco than the kiwio if you look at the damage/pec but i tend to agree.

Feels to me like the ped buffer I need to keep on hunting is made harder by the fact that the hk110 decays really fast...

Have been considering an opalo. even though the ammo cost is high the decay is next to nothing(something like 18k shots from fully repaired compared to the 1.1k of the hk110). Not sure exactely how much the regeneration of a mob comes into play but i assume with higher dps you would cut out some regeneration from the mobs and need less shots. A last hit weapon(I have an EP-2 proton or maybe even the hk110) will obviously be needed to counter that excessive ammo burn. But will only get the opalo when i have it maxed. Getting yellow misses/evades with that gun sounds like financial suicide to me.

Might even get a kiwio until i have the opalo maxed.